Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Chord Master
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2008 :  11:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I'm having trouble figuring out how to use this tool. I'm using a modified C Kilauea tuning, (c-f-b'-f-a-d). There are so many different variations that I don't know where to start!

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  2:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
What key(s) are you interested in playing in, and is b' = b flat?
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  3:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
B sharp (b flat uses #, right?) anyway I tried to use the chord master several times and there are so many variations, whici is which?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2008 :  6:03:56 PM  Show Profile
B sharp = C.
What does "b flat uses #" mean? The basic triad form (1-3-5) of a Bb chord is Bb - D - F. There are no sharps in the key of Bb that I know of.

I don't use chord master, but I'm sure it works the same as other mathematically based chord finders. You set the tuning, determine the key you want to play in, look up the chords you want to play. You will probably get numerous chord possibiliies going up the fret board, (voicings.) You choose the voicing you want to play typically for 1 of 3 reasons: 1) you use the chord shape/position which most closely accommodates the melody note you want to play; or 2) You use the position and shape easiest to get to from the chord you previously used and the chord you will play next; or 3)you use the position/voicing that sounds the most interesting for that moment - for example, if you are playing with someone who is playing lead in the upper frets, you might want to play background in the lower frets; or ... some voicings may make better use of the open strings, etc.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  10:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
OK, as you probably already know I am not a music major, I'm a chang-a-lang player attempting to improve my music with something that I've grown up with. I figured if there is a sharp; there should also be a flat, I assume I'm wrong. I'm looking at all three reasons to use a particular chord but mostly reason 1 & 2. I have never learned to finger pick, which compunds my dilemna. To make matters worse my mom sings in the key of G. I'm attempting to get a reetoire together for family reunions. My sisters dance and the guys get together with mom for music. Help!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  12:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Gary,
There are quite a few players in the SF Bay Area, many of whom post here, many of whom would be happy to show you the basics.

I can't see how you would be able to use a chord finder without knowing the basics of music theory. It's like trying to translate Cervantes when you haven't even studied basic Spanish grammar. Without knowing the basics of grammar, you can't "speak" the language. Fortunately, however, there are many more resources available than ever before. Buy some of the instructional dvd's, the books of music already worked out (like Mark's wonderful collection,) or Ozzie's beginner's level book - which is probably where any beginner should start.
Take the time and practice the humility to start out with a solid basis. Then, as you learn more, you can incrementally add your own arrangements.

If you want to play along with your mother, then learn G Taro Patch - which is the tuning practically everyone starts out with - because it is so very versatile. There is a fair amount of material available.

Contact Patrick Landenza - he's lives in The Alameda and gives lessons - a great teacher. You want to come down to San Jose for a lesson, contact me using my link. Bunch of other guys around. Go to the Cowtown kani, or the San Jose Open Mic.

After reading your posts and your profile my best advice is do yourself a favor - get some face to face help and start things off on the right track.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  6:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I have Daniel Ho's CD and book (hence the root of my problem). Then I tried Keola's CD and book. Which places me to the present. I used the Kilauea CD and methodology and became quite proficient. I saw Keola's show in Antioch (reunion of sorts since we were classmates) and he suggested C wahine. So as you can understand I'm being torn in several directions at once. I've played the guitar and uke since I was 12; I'm now 57. I think I have a basic understanding of music theory. Pobre Senor Quixote, no?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  10:58:05 PM  Show Profile
Then you do know about the B#, and about chord inversions, so I'm sorry to have misjudged your previous post.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  7:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I'm not well versed in music theory, I'm self taught; which in it's own right is defective due to human nature. I don't know much more than chang-a-lang; and what sounds good to me.What you wrote is valued. Maybe I should have started with a beginner's book, but pride won't allow me; maybe I should just humble myself and start all over again.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile
It seems you have a misunderstanding of the symbols used to indicate sharp and flat. The # is sharp, and b is flat. So B flat would be typed as Bb. The actual music symbol for flat is more pointed at the bottom than the b on the typewriter/keyboard, but it's the closest symbol we have. B# would indicate B sharp.Again, not quite the exact musical symbol, but the closest available on computers and typewriters.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
So if the tuning you originally referred to (C-F-B'-F-A-D) is actually C-F-C-F-A-D, this is a fairly unusual tuning, a G6th tuning (D-G-D-G-B-E, also known on the mainland as "dropped G") tuned down a full note.

Compared to the Kilauea tuning (D-G-C-G-B-E), your tuning drops all strings except the 4th, one note. (If you tune the Kilauea tuning down one note, you have C-F-Bb-F-A-D.)

If you're having problems with Chord Master, I'll be glad to send you a chart of chords in that tuning. Let me know.

Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  7:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Mahaloz! It is the C-F-Bb-F-A-D that I have adopted. Now to get chords in that tuning I have experimented until I've come "close enough" and passable" to chords that I am searching for. If you could send me chords in that tuning I may be able to post some songs in that tuning that are "nice" and "sweet" to me.
Yes I was confused as to which was which.It is a B flat.Sorry RJS. Again thanks for your patience.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  7:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
I've just experienced an awesome revelation. I bought an Ovation Celebrity guitar and for fun tuned it to Taro Patch G. I then experimented with it and was playing Wahine Ilikea when I was done. It felt a little uncomfortable being apprehensive with the "newness" of the tuning. But it sounded great (to me). Is there any help for finding chords in G Taro Patch? Or anything in that tuning, experiences, advice anything. Thanks! My Mom sings in G, lolo me, tink I can paly in F and make it, auwe!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile
Look under the Learn Section for chord charts and applet
Next use the search function - you will find over 200 pages of entries dealing with G Taro Patch in one way or another
Look at the list of resources -- bunch of DVD's, good printed material

G Taro Patch is the most common tuning and the one which has been written about over and over -- there are even three articles I know of in Acoustic Guitar.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  3:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo, RJS! I going try for stay go look.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000