Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Minor Keys/Chords in Slack Key
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

celtguitar
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit celtguitar's Homepage
In my limited listening to Slack Key (all via Dancing Cat) I detect no
minor key tunes and possible no minor chords.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, anyone playing Slack Key in either DADGAD or DGDGCD tunings?

Art

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi art,

nothing in a minor key springs to my mind, either. in drop C, i've heard several players (like "slackkey" bill, just this weekend!) regularly use Am along with the more expected C, F, G7 and D7 (and all the variations, like Cadd9).

keola and mark have an amusing story in their book about how a minor chord ina song made some hawaiian kids cry...

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
There is at least one.
The song, "Wai'oli Waltz", on Ken Emerson's Slack and Steel album incorporates minor chords. It is additionally interesting in that it is played lap style on what sounds like a National tricone in a nahenahe style. Very nice.

The minor chords add a very different color to the music and provides a nice contrast to the usual major sound of Hawaiian music.

You can hear this song on Ken's website (http://www.kenemerson.com/) as a RealAudio clip (click CD's Online), but I suggest buying the album. It is a very enjoyable blend of traditional slide styles and more modern slack key styles.

Enjoy,
Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000