Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How did he do that?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  10:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

i've been listening to leonard kwan's dancing cat CD, and i've been trying to figure out how he did something. maybe someone can help me? on his "yellow bird", he dida kind of brush that sounds great. you can hear it in his intro - he does a nice decending line in parallel octaves, ending in C and then does a brush. he uses it a lot in this song. what i like about the brush is that it's a bit, um, percussive? that is, it sounds like he's damping the strings somewhat, but the low C note sustains through the brush.

any ideas on how he played these brush or rolls or whatever they are?

mahalo nui loa,
keith

Keith

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  2:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Good Morning Boys and Girls!
It is indeed a brush stroke and it is definitely one of the attributes of Leonard's C wahine or drop C tuning -- which ever you prefer. So when you hear this think Leonard Kwan.
In the example of Yellow Bird he is using two fingers but no more than three and it is easier if you have nails. To accomplish this stroke, you rotate the wrist just slightly as the nail of the middle finger followed by that of the index finger lightly brushes across the top of strings four thru one. It is a lot like flicking breadcrumbs across the top of a table. The bass note should precede the strum. The rule of economy of motion applies here also, where the right hand should remain in a comfortable and natural position. There is no need to dig deep into the strings or use any forearm movement.
Peter M

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 04/16/2003 3:02:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi peter,

yow! i'll give this a try when i get home tonight.

i wish i could have seen leonard play; i love his style.

thank you again,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2003 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Leonard was and is one of the greats. Unfortunately due to his physical limitations, he did not play out frequently and therefore did not receive as many awards or accolades as some other players.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  3:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
peter, it worked fine. it's going to take some practice, of course, but it works well.

andy, what limitations did leonard have? all the photos i've seen of him have him looking hale and hearty. the bio in the dancing cat album was interesting.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  4:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think Leonard suffered from epileptic seizures so he did not perform out at the clubs or other venues with the frequency of a Gabby, Atta, Sonny or Ray.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  5:02:18 PM  Show Profile
marzullo says:
quote:
yow! i'll give this a try when i get home tonight.

Home?!? Do world travelers have homes?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Home?!? Do world travelers have homes?
yeah, well, i hear that you've been on the road performing. that's more cool than playing for polar bears...

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000