Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Willie K & Amy mainland tour
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  4:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Not slack key, but since this subject has come up...

Amy and Willie are reuniting just one more time (so I was told by the promoter) for a nice tour of the west coast, joined by Ernie Cruz, Jr. and special guests TBA. Here's what has been firmly booked -- more to be added:

June 27 - Saratoga CA
June 28 - Petaluma CA
June 29 - San Francisco (FREE)
June 30 - Las Vegas
July 2 - San Diego
July 3 - Santa Monica (FREE)
July 5 - Seattle

-- auntie mariaz

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  5:37:35 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Auntie Maria,

Please excuse this relative newbie, but who are they? Is there a link to their site or maybe to a page at mele.com?

Mahalo,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  9:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Willie K is a guitarist who has been around a long time - even played the SF rock and jazz scenes for a time. In my opinion, the best Hawaiian guitarist around. Certainly one of THE most creative. Don't always like what he does, but am always amazed. He can, and does, play excellent slack key, but he doesn't confine himself to any one style. I think he did much of the arranging for his work with Amy, (continued below)

Amy Hanali'i Gilliom is a knock out flasetto singer. Trained in So CA with classical technique, returned to Hawaii and fell in love with the falsetto tradition. I think she spent some time with Genoa Keawe, or else listened to a lot of her work, 'cause it feels to me that Amy is stylistically related. Some people criticize her Hawaiian pronunciation. This haole too out of it to be able to judge. However, a superb singer.

Now .... Willie & Amy together ..... in my opinion, this is the best of the falsetto tradition around -- and it's going to take something really great to beat them. Amy's singing is absolutely gorgeous. Willie's arrangements are unbelievable. Some of them sort of remind me of the exquisite settings great jewelers make for beautiful gems. Slack key or not, I would kill to be able to play like that. (That is saying a lot from a person who constantly writes, talks about and teaches others to discover their OWN unique voice.) Hawaiian Traditional is my favorite. (Aside: if you want a great example of how important creative arranging and accompaniment are, listen to Amy and Williw K, then listen to Amy's last album, after they split up.)

By the way, I like their music.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

Edited by - RJS on 04/18/2003 9:03:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  02:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
Yeah, what Raymond said above. Willie K just amazed me when I saw him play. I think he stole the show from Amy, but Amy's voice is, what's the word. . . strong!

I like the before and after split albums myself.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  01:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I saw Willie and Amy on TV a few years ago. Willie is a great falsetto singer, too, and played wonderful slack key accompaniment in standard tuning with a flat pick.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  10:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Please excuse this relative newbie, but who are they? Is there a link to their site or maybe to a page at mele.com?
Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom
Willie K(ahaiali`i)

I have not seen Amy perform yet but caught Willie K at the Waikiki Slack Key Festival in 2001. Willie is not only a very talented musician but a top notch entertainer as well. He'll awe you with his music and sense of humor and maybe throw in a surprise or two also. Back when I saw him, he broke out into opera for a few seconds! He was very personable when my wife, Julie and I spoke to him after his set. Julie's got a photo of us I think?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  6:01:10 PM  Show Profile
Well stated Raymond! Willie K is technically one of the best
guitarists(many styles) within the Hawaii music scene.

I had never heard of Amy until we saw her and Willie
K play prior to Na Leo in Watsonville. Im sure most in
the audience that night was saying the same thing "
who is this haole girl?!"
When she started to sing she blew the doors off the place!
Although not the headliner that night, certainly the
"highlight"!

Is great to see them performing together again!

enrico

quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Willie K is a guitarist who has been around a long time - even played the SF rock and jazz scenes for a time. In my opinion, the best Hawaiian guitarist around. Certainly one of THE most creative. Don't always like what he does, but am always amazed. He can, and does, play excellent slack key, but he doesn't confine himself to any one style. I think he did much of the arranging for his work with Amy, (continued below)

Amy Hanali'i Gilliom is a knock out flasetto singer. Trained in So CA with classical technique, returned to Hawaii and fell in love with the falsetto tradition. I think she spent some time with Genoa Keawe, or else listened to a lot of her work, 'cause it feels to me that Amy is stylistically related. Some people criticize her Hawaiian pronunciation. This haole too out of it to be able to judge. However, a superb singer.

Now .... Willie & Amy together ..... in my opinion, this is the best of the falsetto tradition around -- and it's going to take something really great to beat them. Amy's singing is absolutely gorgeous. Willie's arrangements are unbelievable. Some of them sort of remind me of the exquisite settings great jewelers make for beautiful gems. Slack key or not, I would kill to be able to play like that. (That is saying a lot from a person who constantly writes, talks about and teaches others to discover their OWN unique voice.) Hawaiian Traditional is my favorite. (Aside: if you want a great example of how important creative arranging and accompaniment are, listen to Amy and Williw K, then listen to Amy's last album, after they split up.)

By the way, I like their music.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2003 :  9:54:46 PM  Show Profile
enrico-
George K told me that Amy is true hapa haole -- half and half.
Absolutely incredible voice -- but what blows me away even more are Willie K's exquisite stylings. Once again I highly recommend all the readers of this site to treat themselves to their CD's.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000