Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Music for Hawaiian wedding reception
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by T-Dan

Nice, Dusty! Cool link! Mahalo!
Have you met Paul before?
How is everything in the Southland?

Yes, Paul is a warm friendly person. We get together with him whenever we are on Kaua`i. He is also an instructor at Led's Waikiki workshop.

Come down some Tuesday evening to play with us at Kaisen's Restaurant in Oceanside.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  07:33:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
It's always a treat to be able to get down South to Kaisen's. Anyone else in the neighborhood should check it out if you're in the area. Lots o' great players and always a friendly group full of aloha. When my Disney project quiets down I'll be more free to drive the 119 miles from the SCV on a Tuesday.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
If you start with Pachelbel's Canon, that's all you need; that dang song seems always to last at least 3 hours, so you might even have to cut it short.
Teresa Bright has a nice vocal arrangement of Lei Aloha Lei Makawae on an old album i borrowed. I wrote up a nice arrangement for it in taropatch.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  10:00:01 AM  Show Profile
If there is anything left after several hours of the Canon, you can always go into Led's version of Kokee to fill up the rest of the time. Seriously, Kokee is one of the most beautiful songs I know. Arrangements of it have been discussed in a prior thread. Fran Guidry gave me the clues to come up with an arrangement that works. Taro patch-fifth fret barre to start.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
But Koke`e is a mele pana. Seems to me love songs would be more appropriate. I am not dissing the song by any means. To Paul and I it is one of the most beautiful and poetic songs ever. It may be just me, but if I was getting married, I would druther hear love songs to me (or a woman) rather than love songs to a place, unless somehow it was "our special place".

Sorry. I don't mean to be the wedding reception police like Kihei de Silva.

I like E Nei. That is remarkably beautiful.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  5:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage
Instead of Koke'e try another one by Dennis "Promises". Its easy to play, pretty and right on topic. Or did someone say that already?

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

T-Dan
Lokahi

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  8:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit T-Dan's Homepage
All great notes. I'm very grateful for all the input. It has enlightened me in many ways.

Anyone heard of "Ke Aloha Ihiki Mai?" Attributed to Malie Kalaukoa and Chas. K. Hopkins, it has some lovely words listed in the translation. Don't know the melody yet. I'll have to plunk it out and find it or look for it on disc or iTunes. I found it in "The Complete Hawaiian Music Collection," published in 2000 by Warner Bros.
As for Pachebel, my brothers and big sister played a guitar quartet for our little sister's wedding last summer. Little brother picking out the main melody on a 12-string, me echoing in Open-D slack-key, big sister strumming the next round lightly and building on a nylon string, and big brother strumming on his Takamine 6 string to hold us steady & keep from speeding up. It was hard to stop once you get it rolling...Kinda like George Jetson on the treadmill with his dog Astro: "Help! Jane! Stop this crazy thing!"

Not too often The Jetson's gets mentioned in Taropatch, I bet...

...always a first time.

( o )=====::;
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000