Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Grammy -- Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile
This year's Grammy for Hawaiian Music went to Tia Carrere & Daniel Ho for "`Ikena". More details, here:
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13908/245/

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  5:49:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Congratulations to Daniel & Tia, and I hope this brings additional attention to the less-credited contributor to the album, the lyricist for all the songs (except for the instrumentals, duh) - Dr. Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman, who is one of the world's leading scholars on mele.

The presentation clip is on KGMB's website - http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13908/245/

Edited by - Retro on 02/08/2009 6:37:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  8:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Congratulations to Daniel & Tia, and I hope this brings additional attention to the less-credited contributor to the album, the lyricist for all the songs (except for the instrumentals, duh) - Dr. Amy Ku`uleialoha Stillman, who is one of the world's leading scholars on mele.

Unlikely unless Tia promotes her...the majority of the media attention will be on Tia.

Congratulations to all three though.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/08/2009 8:37:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  02:33:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, the cool thing is we can congratulate Amy in person when she comes for this coming week-end's hula workshop. She is an amazing person, so full of knowledge about so very much, and so willing to share. Can't wait.

Congrats to all the folks who were nominated. They are all winners in my book.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  05:45:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

Indeed! Amy gave us a copy of the CD when we were at Keoki's camp in Pahala, and it is simply delightful! We've played it over and over. The Spam Song is SO much fun! And if anyone remembers the thread discussing hula tempo, there is a wonderful surprise on the CD. But my favorite number is probably Papa Hanau Moku.

To Amy, Daniel, and Tia, a great big, "Maika`i no!"

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  06:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
That was quite an outfit Tia was wearing. I'm sure it attracted attention to, ahem, Hawaiian music on the part of those who know (or care) nothing about it. Points for us!
Ah, show business.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  1:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sandman

That was quite an outfit Tia was wearing.
She says she got it on eBay for $30, too - quite the economic stimulus package, eh?
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  12:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:

The presentation clip is on KGMB's website - http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/13908/245/

Well, I'm doing what I can to get some recognition for Amy S.
http://www1.epinions.com/review/Ikena_9_16_by_Daniel_Ho_Tia_Carrere_644718006420/content_460523605636

- And, personally, I really like the album. I listen to it a lot and am learning some of the songs.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  11:38:58 AM  Show Profile
I like the album too. And maybe this will be the light for others to discover the world of Hawaiian music and explore all the different types. And also get into the culture of the islands.

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  2:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GUke

I like the album too. And maybe this will be the light for others to discover the world of Hawaiian music and explore all the different types. And also get into the culture of the islands.

Good point!

I remember one time when George Kahumoku Jr. was here on Moku Hawai`i. . . . maybe 10 years ago . . . we were working on the sets (I was dancing hula for him while he was promoing a new CD here). He said that he liked to start a show with something most people in the audience could understand and relate to, like Little Grass Shack. Then, once the audience was warmed up, he could play the more traditional numbers - kind of like hand-feeding the audience to get it to come along.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 02/16/2009 2:27:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  3:39:07 PM  Show Profile
If the music makes you explore, that's well and good. You'll gravitate to what pleases you, and it may not be what you thought you were going to like. The important thing is for the artist to leave a clear trail for the listener to follow. Liner notes that only talk about what a great performer this is on the album in hand don't tell me anything I'm looking to learn. I can formulate my own opinion on the artist's abilities as I listen. I'd much rather see the details of who they learned from, or how the songs came to be. Especially important for those of us with no Kupuna on hand to ask. That's why Wanda and I ask so many questions on Taropatch. We don't mean to be a pest, but enquiring minds want to know. And we've hanaied you all as surrogate Kupuna's. We like the liner notes from Dancing Cat albums, and the talk story on a couple of other albums, one by Kindy Sproat, and 'A Gift Of Music" by Dennis & David Kamakahi. Hawaiian songs all seem to have a story behind them, frequently multiple stories.
Once you open your ears to new things, you never know where you'll end up. From James Michiner's "Hawai`i" to Iz's Jawaiian solo recordings to Wayne Chang's lectures,and Charles Nahale's talk story, thence to slack key, falsetto, steel guitar. But for the two of us, always the words, both talk story and poetry, assumed the most important position. For others, this may not be the case, but never close your mind to what may be pulling you toward another track in the sand.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000