Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Looking for chords to "Ka Wai Lehua"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  10:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I was at a Kanikapila last week and Bobo showed up and sang the most beautiful song. Found out the title was "Ka Wai Lehua A Ala Ka Honua"
I can not believe I had not heard this song before where have I been under a rock ? Well actual when I came home I found I had it on several CD's just had not jumped out and grabed me till Wed. Night I guess. I think each songs has it's time and place in our lives and I guess this one for some reason is hitting me NOW. I can not get it out of my head and I also can not find the chords any where I have worked out some of them. But would love a little help if anyone out there plays this one and would like to share some knowledge. Or tell me of a song book that contains it. It is not in the Mele book I already looked.
Wanda you got it in your vast Library by chance?
Do not know how I am going to handle going back to the mainland I have never played so much Ukulele in my LIFE I am in music heaven the last few months. I may not have been able to go to camp this year but this has been wonderful. Now if I can just figure out a way to stay. I do not want to leave.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  11:56:56 AM  Show Profile
How totally spooky that you are looking for info on this song. Me, too. I got lyrics from huapala.org. I dunno chords, but I am going to see if Paul can figure them out for me. Or Duke might know.

The song was written by Frank Kawaikapuokalani Hewett, a most wonderful kumu hula and songwriter. He has a web site for his halau. Search You Tube and you could find it. He has quite a few vids on you tube. You maybe could send him an e-mail through you tube. He does a wonderful hula to Hi`ilawe -- see the You Tube links I posted this week.

Ka Wai Lehua `A`ala Ka Honua - by Frank Kawaikapuokalani Hewett

Ke iho la ka ua
Halihali nä lehua o luna
E, e, e

Helele`i pua i ke kai
Hula le`a nä lehua i ka moana
E, e, e

He kupa la ka ua i ke kai
Ke ho`i hou e aloha mai
E, e, e

He mele nou e ku`u lani
Ka wai lehua `a`ala ka honua
E, e, e

Frank K. Hewett As the rain falls
It bears lehua blossoms from above
E, e, e

The blossoms fall into the sea
And dance playfully upon the waters of the ocean
E, e, e

The rain is well aquainted with the sea
And as it returns to the sea,
the two become one and the cycle is complete
E, e, e

This is my tribute to you, my Heavenly one
The lehua rain that awakens
E, e, e

Source: - Composed in 1982 Translation by Frank K. Hewett

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Yea I found the same sites by searching the web funny how we seem to be on the same wave like. right now I am watching the Grammys hoping for the best for Sonny Lim. But just enjoying seeing the little guys that never get the TV time.
If I find anymore info I will pass it along.
Aloha

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nani, I sent you email. :)
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Mahalo I will go look right now

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

brichm01
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  07:43:04 AM  Show Profile  Send brichm01 an AOL message  Send brichm01 a Yahoo! Message
Hi,
I'm relatively new to TP. I was browsing and came across this thread. I, too, have been scouring the web for the chords to this song. I heard two versions of it John Cruz's and Kalani Smythe's. I LOVE it!! Were you able to find them?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000