Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 pu'uanahulu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  5:31:38 PM  Show Profile
Warning....haole question.
But I really am asking out of respect and a quest for understanding.
I have listened carefully to 4 different versions of pu'uanahulu and, although they all have slight variations, one thing is consistent... none of the 4 include this verse...
No ka betera nani a ke Akua
Kapa ka inoa ka lamaku i keola

is this a coincidence?
Is there something kapu about this verse?
Is it because of the religious reference?
Is this not really a verse in this mele even though Huapala.org includes it?

All 4 versions were relatively recent.. is this important?

Dave

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  6:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey! Good question. This song was recently discussed here:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7375

Why it wasn't included in the various recordings wasn't discussed however. It could be that it has a religious meaning and perhaps some artists didn't feel it was important to the mele pana aspect of the song.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

salmonella
Lokahi

240 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile
While researching this mele, I came across the page link below.
It might be interesting to others who like to picture in their mind what they hear or sing.

" E na manu 'o'o hulu melemele "

http://www.oiseaux.net/photos/john.gerrard.keulemans/hawaii.oo.1.html

Dave
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  02:18:00 AM  Show Profile
And those yellow feathers is what was used for the ali`i feather capes. Only one feather from each bird. Can you imagine what it took to make one. Bird catchers were highly honored, as were the net makers. That is also why feather lei are so highly cherished.

Thanks for the link.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  10:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

For those who will be on Hawai`i this week, Uncle Moses Kahumoku is the guest artist at the Palace theater Wednesday. He said one of the songs he will play is Pu`uanahulu. Those in town might want to drop by and talk story about the mele with him after the show.

March 4, Wednesday - Hawai`iana Live: Uncle Moses Kahumoku joins hostess Leilehua Yuen in a musical journey around the island of Hawai`i. A powerful improviser, gifted composer and interpreter, Moses "Moke" Kahumoku was born in Honolulu, on O`ahu, and was raised in Keaukaha on Hawai`i Isand. Moses began playing music around the age of five, and like most ki ho`alu (slack key) masters, he looked first to his family for his source. This show also features Bob Alder on the theater's historic pipe organ, and a vintage Hawai`i Visitor’s Bureau featurette about the island. 11:00 am Wednesdays, Palace Theater, 38 Haili St. Hilo, 1-808-934-7010.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  10:18:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

And those yellow feathers is what was used for the ali`i feather capes. Only one feather from each bird. Can you imagine what it took to make one. Bird catchers were highly honored, as were the net makers. That is also why feather lei are so highly cherished.

Thanks for the link.

Aloha!

Here is part of a report on Hawaiian featherwork I wrote for the National Parks. I curate the set of kahili at Pu`uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park. Hawaian featherwork is just amazing. It was awesome to see the artifacts from the Cook collection when they were on display in Honolulu.

http://www.kaahelehawaii.com/pages/culture_hulumanu.htm

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  3:32:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm pretty sure these lines refer to the Baptist Chruch in Pu'uanahulu on the Kohala Coast of the Big Island (Hawai'i)? It is a landmark and very visible when you drive through the area on the "high road" from Kona to Waimea.

Most likely some artists thought people would not recognize the landmark and wanted to shorten the length of the song -- either to fit on an album or in their performance.

When a song, like Hi'ilawe repeats each verse, singing all of the verses makes for a very long performance of a short melody with no chorus. I usually only perform a couple of verses so I don't bore people -- I bore them any way, but what the heck -- at least I give it some thought.

Many of the four part harmonies and song structures came directly or indirectly from the hymns sung in the missionary churches of Hawai'i. God (or Akua) is a part of Hawaiian culture -- ask The Reverend Dennis Kamakahi.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

kawika
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Leilehua,
Mahalo for sharing your report on featherwork and the info on Moses. I'm glad to hear Moses is back and performing again. I can't make it to Hilo today to hear him play, but I wonder if you know of any future performances by Moses. I saw him play at the slack key festivals in Hilo in the early 90's and he was just amazing. Do you know if he is recording?

Mahalo, Kawika
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  06:03:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha e Kawika,

You are most welcome! I don't know, but I will ask him and post what I learn. His performance at the Palace was amazing! He makes that guitar TALK!

Ben Ka`ili dropped by to catch Uncle Moses. Thursday, we caught up with each other and were talking about Uncle Moses' performance and how fantastic it is to hear the incredible diversity these masters have developed. WOW!

Hope to see you when next you are on ka Moku o Keawe!

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Edited by - Hula Rider on 03/07/2009 06:04:00 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000