Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Beginner slack key --how did you start?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2009 :  09:27:42 AM  Show Profile
A while back, Peter Medieros wrote that to understand ki ho alu you needed to understand the connection with hula and to understand the hula, you should listen to the ocean for the rhythmic sense. I don't know if you live near the ocean, but I think the most important thing is to listen. Listen to Keola, Led, Ozzie, Cyril, Dennis K--and anybody else you like. Let the music fill you with Aloha, then play it back with the Aloha in your heart. Den you get em!
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  07:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wrenblue

In addition, I am going to Swannanoa Gathering this year and taking Patrick Landeza's slack key class.
I've heard great things about the Swannanoa Gathering. Lots of great teachers and music.

I first bought the now out-of-print Leonard Kwan book. Then, I saw Ozzie perform in Pearl City a few years later where I bought his instruction book. Ozzie's book definitely got me started. From there, I tried to attend any workshops and see live performance wherever I could. For me, that is real inspiration - to see the pros teach and perform. I even used to drive out to Waiʻanae to get a lesson from Uncle Ray Kāne. I miss those days.

I always liked videos better than the books because seeing is believing. The good news is there are so many more instructional materials available today compared to 15 years ago.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  08:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Never underestimate the value of jamming. If you can, get (or force) a friend to play ukulele backup for you. Play the same song over and over until you can start to loosen up. Then eat and talk story. Repeat.
Go to Top of Page

wrenblue
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  09:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Aloha again everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies and advice. I am really enjoying working with Ozzie's book. So far I have been working on just the first 3 exercises/songs. I play them by myself, try to do some improvising and play with the recording too. I am deliberately going very slowly with it to get it very ingrained. I also have Mark Hanson's book but will wait until I finish Ozzie's. It's lovely music!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000