Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Wahine Ilikea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Attended a concert in San Diego with performances by George Kahumoku, Dennis Kamakahi and Richard Ho'opi'i. Each one was very special in their own way. I had been on a uke track but these guys puled me back toward my stunted efforts at Slack Key.

one of the most haunting songs of the evenig was Kamakahi's classic "Wahine Ilikea". I know that if I could make a passable attempt at this song that it would light that spark, and make me studious once more! I do have the chords, but it doesn't sound right just playing those (G, C up high on the fifth fret -- bleech). Any embellishment or direction appreciated.

If this were in a book somewhere, I'd get it, but it isn't so I can't.

Mahalo

Slow down! It's Molokai.

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  12:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous song! I like Drop C (C-G-D-G-B-D) for this song done in G. You can play the C chord as 0-0-2-0-1-2 and get that lovely deep C. For the passing chord G7, X-0-3-0-0-0 works well enough. 2-2-0-2-1-4 gives you a D7 (or you can get away with not using the two bass notes if you want).

Mālama pono
Ben

Edited by - Ben on 04/04/2009 3:09:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  7:11:30 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Ben,

I think that was the problem. I needed that beautiful C chord. Absolutely lovely. The C high up on the neck was strangling the song. By the way, I was very moved by his performance. That wonderful mixure of sweetness and melancholy and long that Hawaii does so well. Kind of you to reply.

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  05:37:37 AM  Show Profile
I think Wahine `Ilikea is one of the most beautiful, poetic songs ever written. One of the reasons I like it so much is the "reverse kaona". It sounds like he is singing about a woman, but is referring to being able to see the three waterfalls through the mist. Most Hawaiian songs would be referring to a woman whilst talking about wetness, dampness, palai ferns, etc., sounding so innocent, all while really referring to much more adult themes. Dennis is a poet extraordinaire.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2009 :  05:55:07 AM  Show Profile
Glen, I ran into the same problem not liking the C up on the 5th fret. I like Ben's solution and had not thought to do that.

Part of the beauty of this melody is that it toggles between the I chord and the IV chord several times in a row and has relatively few V chords. So my solution was to keep the guitar in taropatch but to play in key of D. Then you have the I (D) and IV (G) chords on the two open bass strings and you can barre the 2nd fret (or play up on 5th-6th-7th frets) for the infrequent V (A7) chords.

Edited by - mike2jb on 04/05/2009 06:02:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000