Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Just joined today..............
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  12:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
Howdy & Aloha All
I am new as of today. I am a collector of all Koa guitars, that's where the name came from. Also, I play in a jug band in the San Deigo area, in CA. We are the Kahuna Cowboys Jug Band, feel free to visit our website: http://kahunacowboys.com/
Gotta go. I will be around and catch you later.
Russ

Russ

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  12:49:33 PM  Show Profile
to koaguitarman,

Welcome to the patch.
I caught you guys when you opend for Na Oiwi in PB.
What's your take on all koa vs koa and spruce/cedar?
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

to koaguitarman,

Welcome to the patch.
I caught you guys when you opend for Na Oiwi in PB.
What's your take on all koa vs koa and spruce/cedar?

Thanks for the Welcome chunky monkey.
I don't remember, what is PB? Sure it was KCJB?
I think an all Koa can sound just as good as a Spruce or Cedar top.
As I have many all Koa guitars, I find that they all have a pleasing sound. One thing I have noticed is that the more spectacular the Koa the better it sounds. I think the mind plays tricks on your ears. Anyway I vote for all Koa, regardless of how they sound!

Russ
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  1:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey russ,

yow! i took a listen to your sound clips, you guys rock! when you get a chance, update you calendar, i'd love to see you all on stage...

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  1:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Russ.

Okay, I realize that it can be dangerous quoting someone out of context but I found some of Kawika Hurd's comments about koa interesting. Also, keep in mind that his comments are made in respect to `ukuleles.

quote:
posted to rec.music.makers.builders on 2003-01-02

In any case, koa has always surprised me with respect to just how nice it can sound if you've optimized the top properly and use good quality classical guitar strings. I would put it's tonal qualities as similar to redwood for tops. You *must* put in a proper bridge patch to prevent cracking at the bridge ends, but then that's just good building practice in any case.
It surprised me that he would compare a good sounding koa top to redwood or cedar which I think many would agree make very good tops for slack key. I wonder if Kawika's opinions would also carry over to guitars?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  2:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

hey russ,

yow! i took a listen to your sound clips, you guys rock! when you get a chance, update you calendar, i'd love to see you all on stage...

aloha,

Thanks Keith
Will keep updating website, I don't control that, but it will be updated as new gigs are acquired.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  2:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Welcome Russ.

Okay, I realize that it can be dangerous quoting someone out of context but I found some of Kawika Hurd's comments about koa interesting. Also, keep in mind that his comments are made in respect to `ukuleles.

quote:
posted to rec.music.makers.builders on 2003-01-02

In any case, koa has always surprised me with respect to just how nice it can sound if you've optimized the top properly and use good quality classical guitar strings. I would put it's tonal qualities as similar to redwood for tops. You *must* put in a proper bridge patch to prevent cracking at the bridge ends, but then that's just good building practice in any case.
It surprised me that he would compare a good sounding koa top to redwood or cedar which I think many would agree make very good tops for slack key. I wonder if Kawika's opinions would also carry over to guitars?

Thanks for the Welcome Andy
I think I will have great times here @ TaroPatch.
I think Koa wood is awesome. Can't get enough of the stuff. The fact that Koa is used on the tops of Ukes/Slack Key guitars/Dreads/etc...tells me that it is considered an excellent tonal wood. It is funny how the prettier the wood the better it sounds. Of course this is my opinion. Here is a photo of my Taylor Kenny Loggins guitar.
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/1071418/2034622/24414942.jpg
It sound fantastic!
Thanks again Andy.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Russ,

Nice guitar and I like the hibiscus on the fingerboard! I'm downloading your samples now. What I've heard sounds good.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  3:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pauline Leland

Welcome Russ,

Nice guitar and I like the hibiscus on the fingerboard! I'm downloading your samples now. What I've heard sounds good.

Thanks for the Welcome Pauline.
I love that guitar. It is one of my better guitars, although I have two Goodall's that come first.
Bye for now.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  5:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Russ,

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum!
Your KLSM has some of the wildest koa ive ever
seen.

It also make me miss my KSLM but no
regrets selling it off to fund my Goodall koa.

Did you order one of the JD Taylor models? Ive got
one of the GA sizes on order ETA end of MAY. Normally dont
buy koa sight unseen but figured I would try rolling the
dice on this one.

regards,
enrico
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  11:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by enr1co

Hi Russ,

Nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum!
Your KLSM has some of the wildest koa ive ever
seen.

It also make me miss my KSLM but no
regrets selling it off to fund my Goodall koa.

Did you order one of the JD Taylor models? Ive got
one of the GA sizes on order ETA end of MAY. Normally dont
buy koa sight unseen but figured I would try rolling the
dice on this one.

regards,
enrico

Hi Enrico
Thanks for the welcome! My KLSM is wild/wild/wild!
How do you like your new Goodall?
I've got a JDCM coming mid May, but will have first choice on it. So I have taken the roll of the dice out of it. I probably will love it anyway. I'm a sucker for Koa. I'm Koo Koo for Koa.....
See ya later.

Russ

Edited by - koaguitarman on 05/07/2003 11:50:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  2:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Russ, there have been some pretty cool all-koa guitars up on eBay over the past few months...it's worth doing a search every now and then.

BTW, just checked out your site and I have to say that's some of the coolest looking facial hair I've seen!

If you're in the San Diego area, come join us on May 19th at the next meeting of the Southern California Slack Key Society...a bunch of us who get together once a month to play and hang out. For details call Don at 858-573-2995.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  9:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

Hey Russ, there have been some pretty cool all-koa guitars up on eBay over the past few months...it's worth doing a search every now and then.

BTW, just checked out your site and I have to say that's some of the coolest looking facial hair I've seen!

If you're in the San Diego area, come join us on May 19th at the next meeting of the Southern California Slack Key Society...a bunch of us who get together once a month to play and hang out. For details call Don at 858-573-2995.

Hi Craig
I am an avid E-bayer searching for Koa, anything. I have bought around 7 or 8 Koa guitars through E-bay. Have had excellent luck.(Knock Koa Wood).
My moustache is getting pretty long.
I will keep the meeting in mind and contact Don if needed.
Thanks

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Koa g-man. I am considering an all koa or koa/spruce t and s Takoma for someday when my money tree bares fruit. What do you know about this company. I played a koa/spruce. It was rich. I've never played and all koa.

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  8:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hah! "Bare" is definitely the right word to use with "money tree".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

koaguitarman
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  2:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit koaguitarman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ipu

Aloha Koa g-man. I am considering an all koa or koa/spruce t and s Takoma for someday when my money tree bares fruit. What do you know about this company. I played a koa/spruce. It was rich. I've never played and all koa.

Hey Ipu
I have a Tacoma PKK-40 all Koa. It has very pleasing sound and is loud. I recently opened for Kalapana. One of the guys has the same PKK-40, it was sounding spectacular.
Shake that money tree, 'cause they aren't cheap. I recently saw two at a Guitar Center in CA. They were asking about $1600.

Russ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000