Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 A little embarrassed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  12:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I feel a little like I'm making a big fuss about myself, but I just can't hold it in. The show at the Hukilau last night was just a new level of thrill for me. Patrick has found this amazing place to do intimate shows in a relaxed atmosphere, about 55 seats, very comfortable, an efficient bar and pupus, and (unbelievable in San Fran) easy parking!!!!

I was fortunate to have a number of my friends from work make the show. Maybe they felt a little obligated because I fed them lemon tarts and chocolate/strawberry tarts after lunch yesterday? Anyway, they really made me feel supported, and like I was contributing to the success of the show. Mike Perkins also made the show, and brought a friend (or two?)

I opened, and Patrick asked me to hold it to fifteen or twenty minutes, so I only did four tunes. I expected him to do "Salomila" so I didn't want to do that, and I was having trouble with "Manuela Boy" because I've added some new variations that I don't have under control yet, so I opened with "Kaula `Ili." After that I did my two originals, "Waialua Slack Key" and a slow waltz I call "Ku`u Lina" for my sweet sweetie. Then I closed with "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" which, thanks to Lawrence, now includes a good rap, contrasting the formal meaning of onaona (fragrance that makes one drunk with love) vs. the colloquial (smelly drunk). Everyone was very kind with their response. Oh, by the way, I stuck in a plug for Taropatch.net!

Patrick surprised me by doing a completely different show than the other times I've seen him. The guy is obviously holding back a LOT of stuff in reserve. I know he has a whole batch of new fans now, because to see him perform is to fall under his spell. He's also almost sold out of his initial run of instructional DVDs, by the way.

Cyril played a lot of the same tunes we saw in Point Reyes, but of course they get better as we get more familiar with them, and maybe he went even deeper with this smaller audience. His playing is starting to mess with my mind, because I think of myself as preferring the simple old style, but he gets so much soul into his jazzy style that it's hard to resist. His version of "Hi`ilawe" is my new touchstone, too. It would be worth getting into his tuning just to try to emulate the way he plays that one tune. He pays tribute to Gabby, but he also makes it very personal, and so moving the way the vocal and guitar intertwine.

The highlight of both these shows was the duet time, with Patrick and Cyril running through some sweet tunes. Patrick has his little Papoose tuned up to a C version of Taropatch, so they get some really cool interplay going, and Patrick's sweet voice against Cyril's rough one is chicken skin stuff for sure.

Well, shucks, I just wish you could have been there. When I spoke with my work buddies afterwards, they were just blown away. Maybe next year Patrick will take this tour a little farther afield so folks away from the west coast can see these two in action. It's a treat to remember.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  1:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Fran,

No need to be embarrassed. I'm excited for you, man! I actually tried posting this morning to the 13thfret but it wouldn't let me. So I'm glad you posted a more detailed follow up here.

Congrats to you for a set well played. You're off and running so just keep going and don't look back!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  1:55:53 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
Glad it went well for you.
I'm also glad to hear the Cryil's style is playing with your mind.
I know it's my "soapbox" topic, but I just gotta get it in again. I think it is absolutely wrong for any artist to box him or her self in by some preconception of a style or of "how things should be." It is destructive of the creative spirit. This is especially true in a field like slack key where, at least according to George Winston, individuality is a hallmark. To wit, there are no "slack key chords" or "jazz chords" - there are just combinatios of notes with different relationships to each other which produce different tonal qualities - "Chords" is just shorthand notation. No one's psyche, heart, feelings, whatever, is ever constant. Sometimes its "up" sometimes "down," sometimes "sweet" sometimes "mellow." Tastes are different -- some ears prefer more dissonance, some more "harmoniious" chords, some like it major, some minor. The rhythms of your body and psyche are going to be different from from other's rhythms -- and that will reflect in the rhythms you use when you play. Being a musical artist is more than playing notes. It is being true to a composer's vision and letting it come through and be filtered by my own heart and mind. Playing from the heart means more than just getting sentimental - the "heart" is the center of your being. Fran, you are too good a player to be copying Patrick, Cyril, or anybody. Find your own voice and have the courage to keep to it.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  3:24:48 PM  Show Profile
Hey Fran,

That's great news, and as was noted before on another thread, well told news.

Thanks for the reminder to check out Patrick's DVD. Gotta run now, but I need to remember that.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  01:29:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Fran, it was so nice to meet you at the Ukulele Festival last weekend. I could tell right away from your level of enthusiasm, that you were "good people". Keep it up, friend, I hope to see you again soon. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  05:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for all the kind remarks. I'm writing this from beautiful Roma where the weather is balmy and slack key is a perfect fit. Played last night after dinner and the manager of the hotel "was complimented" by the musica!

Ciao,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page