Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Looking for music recommendations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  5:50:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for some good, traditional Hawaiian music with a lot of uke, hopefully with lots of vocals. I've got a lot of vintage steel guitar music, but not much otherwise.

I just received the latest Jake Shimabukuro and James Hill CDs - unfortunately, the music is not my cup of tea (in fact, I'd be willing to sell both, if anyone's interested).

I'm looking for good, old, Hawaiian language songs, if possible.

Suggestions?

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  8:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi john,

brother iz! he played some simple but beautiful uke. for example, "kaulana bay" and "'ama 'ama" on his "facing future" album are not hard to work out, and i think that they're beautiful.

ka'au crater boys? some of their songs are on the traditional side, like "palolo".

ukista david kamakahi and father dennis have some great traditional songs on "'ohana".

i love the ho`opi`i brothers (you have to like falsetto), and the ukulele is a big part of their music.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  9:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Anything by Kawai Cockett. For example:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1376.htm or
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/44.htm

Aloha Ku`u Home `O Hana by Kaiolohia K. Funes Smith is really good too, especially if you like falsetto:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2291.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/14/2003 9:13:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  9:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, what Keith said... Brother Iz is Israel Kamakawiwo`ole (just in case you're doing an online search).

Herb Ohta, Jr. has some nice `ukulele instrumental albums. If you want vocals too, Keoki Kahumoku (slack key guitar / vox) and Herb (`ukulele) teamed up for two albums.

I suggest going to www.mele.com and checking out the sound files of the artists mentioned here. See if anything piques your interest.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  11:51:24 PM  Show Profile
John B,
I second the suggestion to check out the sound files at mele.com.

When you say old music - hard to tell what you mean by that. Some people mean territorial/monarchy stuff. some mean early hapa haole. Some are thinking about Lena Machado/Genoa Keawe style flasetto? Some mean "chalangalang" I could list on. Maybe if you list a few things you like, it would be easier to make suggestions.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  12:41:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the help!

Let's see... I'm learning 'Ahulili in my lessons. I've got a copy of the Genoa Keawe version that I like a lot, as well as a version done by Ka Ehu Kai. I've heard the 1 minute clip on mele.com from Just Gabby, that I thought sounded great as well.

The vintage steel guitar stuff is mainly from the collection Waikiki is Good Enough For Me, which is a collection of 188 songs from the 20's and 30's (maybe some 40's). I'd say mostly hapa-haole, but "traditional" songs like Ama Ama, Hilo March, Hula March, Hu`i E, Kilakila Haleakala, Kuu Ipo... Lots of Sol Ho`opi`i, Andy Iona, Sol K. Bright, Kane's Hawaiians, King Benny Nawahi, Johnny Noble's Hawaiians.

My `ukulele teacher has a book (yellow cover, two authors, I can't recall the name) of lyrics. The song after `Ahulili is `Aina-Hau, written sometime around 1899. All the songs are post-missionary period. I'd like to explore some songs from that period.

As far as instrumentation, no keyboards/synths, electric steel guitar OK, electric bass probably OK. But I'd like an "all acoustic" setting if possible. I've got Facing Future, and several of the cuts on it are great. I'm looking for a less "produced" sound, though.

This post is taking a while to write; I'm cruising mele.com as I write. The album Gabby Pahinui and the Sons of Hawaii right up my alley. So do the Ho`opi`i Brothers.

A friend recommended Genoa Kelawe Sings Luau Hulas as a good collection of "traditional" tunes.

Gee whiz, maybe I've got enough recommendations... Of course, I'm still willing to look for more. Maybe Auntie Maria will drop by to give her thoughts?

By the way, RJS, I know of changalang as a strum, what is it as a style of music?
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  04:22:48 AM  Show Profile
Aloha John,

During the seventies when I spent a lot of time in the islands, I wore out all of Gabby's LPs that I owned. Luckily I've been able to replace most of those with CD's. When I think of old Hawaiian music, I think of Gabby, Eddie Kamae, Ray Kane, Sonny, Keola Beamer, Leonard Kwan, George Kahumoku Jr. Tau Moe, and many others. Of course, some of these LP's are no longer available, sadly. But several others, Cyril and Martin Pahinui, George Kuo, and so on, are keeping that old style alive. (Waialea Jamming is an example of a nice nahenahe CD)

Some the newer music has been a disappointment to me, I just don't care for the "Jawaiian" style. The exception has been the music coming from the "the next generation", young musicians like Keoki Kahumoku and Herb Ohta Jr.

By all means go visit Auntie Maria's site mele.com and keep your eyes open when you're visiting music stores and flea markets. An acquaintance of mine works at a store and has grabbed several sweet old Hawaiian LP's that have come across the counter. Some real treasures... Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 05/15/2003 04:34:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  1:28:22 PM  Show Profile
I just heard a sample of Led Kaapana playing "Waltz of the Wind". It was on the Ko'olua ukulele site. Wonderful! Oh how I wish I could play like that. Very nahenahe. Now to find out a recording or something. (Wonderful uke, too!)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Hui Aloha on Dancing Cat records is a great record with tons of great ukulele and wonderful singing (mostly in Hawaiian). Martin Pahinui plays electric bass on it but otherwise is all acoustic. Peace!
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  11:22:04 PM  Show Profile
John, couldn't get to you earlier, tied up in a project --
Great suggestions above. Recommending music is such a matter of personal taste, but I would encourage you to also check out the following:
George Helm – only 1 CD I know of -- great interpretation, great phrasing.
Kahauanu Lake Trio (original trio)wonderful source material
Darlene Ahuna, Mele Hula 1& 2 -- these are disks halau like to use -- rather traditional. Darlene plays guitar, but really excellent rhythm guitar.
Kuuipo Kamakahi - sort of in the Genoa Keawe, Lena Machado mold - (Please, if you disagree with my characterization, be gentle, I'm a dumb haole.)
Kekuhi Kanahele – modern yet traditional, great interpreter
Amy Hanaiali’i Gilliom – Esp. Traditional Hawaiian – maybe too modern for you, but very beautiful -- Willie K's arrangements and background guitar is some of the most fantastic stuff around.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
I think most of these have excerpts on mele.com

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  12:40:48 AM  Show Profile
PS,
I also like Pandanus Club - again maybe not your cup of tea, but worth cheking out.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  02:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I know everyone has their favorites, but here's a few more recommendations of solo acts and groups that have good ukulele accompaniment...
Troy Fernandez (the uke ace from Ka'au Crater Boys - da best!)
Akoni and Palapalai Patch
Ale'a (first album)
Darren Benitez (If I played like that, my fingers would be bleeding!)
Moke Boy (check out his song "Electric Ukulele")
Moe Keale (solo recordings and with Sons of Hawai'i)
Ho'okena
Pekelo
Palolo
Peter Moon Band
Randy Lorenzo
Teresa Bright
Uluwehi Guerrero
(Some artists' albums may be out of print)
Puzzling in Hawaiian music is the strange mix of music on a single CD. Some groups will record traditional Hawaiian language music (yeah! more of that!) , then drop a '70s R&B ballad or country song or novelty ditty right in the middle. (huh?)
Bruddah Iz, Pure Heart, Ka'au Crater Boys and others known for great uke music mix it up that way so that you don't get a steady diet of Hawaiian language music on any of their albums. But all of those would be great choices for uke lovers.
FWIW,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Small (but important) correction to the 5/22 post by RJS:

It's Ku`uipo K_u_m_u_kahi
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/kumukahi

No relation to Dennis K_a_m_a_kahi
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/kamakahi.htm

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000