Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ki Ho Alu in Calabria
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  05:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Even though Calabria is a large province, it's rarely mentioned in the guide books, except to warn of the bandits and kidnappers in one of our books. It's the foot of the boot, and we're visiting Lynn's relatives at a hillside farm just above Diamante, on the west coast just above Sicily.

The area is incredibly beautiful, with vast rugged mountains (one of the first National Parks in Italy) marching down to sandy beaches and sparkling blue water. My driving is much more defensive around here since the roads are barely big enough for a Fiat, but are two way with all manner of trucks and Mercedes going both ways.

I have an appointment to play slack key again for the bambino who's coming up for a visit this afternoon. The family is delighted with the sweet sound of the "chitarra", even if they're a little disappointed that I don't do any tarantellas or "Arrivederci Roma."

We're writing from an Internet store in Belvedere, one of a string of lovely beach resort towns that cater to the Italian and German tourists who flood the area for two months in the summer, then leave the locals in peace for the rest of the year. We still have to visit the hill town of Buonvincino, where Lynn's family, the Maiolinos, built the town church in the early 1800s about the same time they built the farm house we're visiting.

Ciao, et buongiorno,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000