Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 And speaking of guitars . . . Cyril Pahinui
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  2:18:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
Does anyone know what's up with the holes in the headstock of Cyril Pahinui's Martin as shown on his 6 ans 12 String Slack Key CD? I've always been curious about that one. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  3:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
If I recall correctly, that guitar has been set up as a 7-string at some time in its life, and the extra hole once held a tuning peg. It may be the same guitar on which George Winston played the SK part of his concert when I saw him last month--at least, GW had a Martin dread set up as (I think) a 7-string. (We were a bit too far back to get fine details.)
Go to Top of Page

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  3:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
I think I heard from some folks that George Winston plays an 8 string guitar. Someone explained that the additional two strings cover the lower register. Can't confirm this, though.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  4:11:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I misremembered the number of extra holes in that converted Martin on Cyril's CD cover--it was once an 8, not a 7-string. Somewhere in my notes I have the story of the recording sessions and how they came to use that guitar, but I can't dig it out now. (When I get to writing the Cyril section of the book, I'm sure it will surface.)

About George Winston's guitars: I recall seeing GW play an 8-string in concert a few years back--maybe a Grimes? I know that he plays guitar on at least one Dancing Cat CD as well as one of his own, so I checked the shelves, and sure enough, there's "Shaka Slack Key" with Keola (on "Kolonahe") and the solos "Sasi" and "Muliwai" (on "Plains"). On all three, GW plays a 7-string (explicitly a Martin on the "Plains" cuts, perhaps the same one I saw last month) in taropatch, with the low 7th string at C. He's quite a good guitarist. He also does piano versions of "No Ke Ano Ahiahi" and "`Ike Ia Ladana" that work well.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  8:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
if youd like to see george playing slack key on his 7 string, he has a video out called seasons from some years back, its mostly him playing the piano, but he also plays slack key guitar duets with keola (kalena kai), chet atkins (puuanahulu) and a solo version of opihi moemoe.

Lee

Edited by - kihoalukid on 05/19/2003 8:03:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000