Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Stepping out of the Taro Patch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  12:00:27 PM  Show Profile
I've been messing with taro patch tuning for about a year now, but I'm getting a little stale with my compositions. I'm looking to start experimenting with other tunings a bit to get recharged.

If y'all were starting in taro patch, which tuning would be a nice change up? I'm leaning toward C Wahine, but since I learned Mark Hanson's 'Sprouting Horn', everything I've started sounds like, well, that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'd prefer to move into a less happy (for lack of a better word) tuning than taropatch, if that helps. Maybe something with Minors is where I want to be?

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Aloha Greg, yes, stagnation is a reoccuring problem that can be dealt with in many ways. Of course experimenting with other tunings works. Unfor(tune)ately for me, playing in different tunings eventually just leads me back down the road to boredomsville. I like to rejuvenate my musical-self by watching other solo guitarists, bands or even a good "Barbershop" quartet. Changing instruments also seems to help. Have a safe and happy day.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  5:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi greg,

i've been playing around a lot with drop C (aka Leonard's C: taro patch with the low D string
dropped to a C). bill ("slackkey") was showing me a lot of songs he's been working on in drop C, and he loves to include Am. the main limitation i have with drop C is that C way up on the, umm (counting on fingers) tenth fret? on the high string, and so sometimes its hard for me to play the melody notes (it seems easer in taro patch where G is on the fifth fret).

a great primer to drop C is mark hansen's tab of "ke'ala's mele".

aloha,

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 05/08/2003 5:17:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  11:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Greg,

I was going to say try Leonard's C but Keith beat me to the punch. Going with another tuning not far from taro patch, you could try double slack, aka Namakelua's tuning, aka G Major 7 Wahine. Drop the 3rd string down to F#. Reference Mark Nelson's chord chart.

By slacking a single string you open up a new dimension of hammering on the tonic (G). Hopefully familiar enough for you but interesting and new at the same time. Think Raymond Kane's Punahele or Wa`ahila. Good luck with whichever you choose.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  02:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Aloha John!

Could you give some site addresses for the tabs on the tunes you mentioned in your message? If you have them?

I'm hungry for new music. Mahalo, ou hui hou.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  3:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
say, mark? are you reading this thread?

if so, do you have a PDF of the drop C chords that andy could post?

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  4:53:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great suggestions :)

I'm going to stick with C Wahine, since it seems like there's a lot of reference material out there. As I'm somewhat tone-deaf (or just really dense), learning by ear is a nightmare-ish experience for me and I dont have the time as it is.

I found a Beamer book in the corner of my closet I bought a long time ago (the blue one, forget what it's called) but there's a nice song about his grandfather in there and I'm ordering "Ka Leileiona" from the kbeamer site.. They sound really different, so maybe that'll jog my learning curve some. There are also some Soundgarden and Foo Fighters songs (I have strange influences LOL) that are played in the tuning, so I can get used to chord fingerings and stuff.

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  5:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Soundgarden and Foo Fighters?!?! Which songs are in C Wahine? Aren't they in drop D? You're speaking the languange of my last guitar life (well sort of)... Soundgarden, Fugazi, Helmet...

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  5:30:20 PM  Show Profile
LOL ...

Soundgarden: Limo Wreck, Never a Machine Forever Turning, Pretty Noose all in 'Keola's C (the one I'll prolly start with)
Foo Fighters version of Baker Street I have somewhere in C Wahine
A band called Pavement uses it a lot

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  8:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hmmm, pretty cool Greg. I had no idea.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile
Mark Hanson is pretty fond of C Wahine, too. Check out his free tab page, http://www.accentonmusic.com/tab.html for "Hark the Herald Angels" and "Auld Lang Syne" in that tuning, but not slack key. "Spouting Horn" is slack key, for everyone but Greg who found himself trapped there. ;)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  6:28:56 PM  Show Profile
I've gotten my hands on sum stuff, and it really did clear the cobwebs. Just playing in C Wahine a little helped me 'forget' some taro patch, so when I went back to it, I managed to start two new songs :)

The new tuning will be my l'il project for the summer (it's tough to go full force into something like that when it's too cold to get to the beach, you know?)

Kamau!
- Greg
Thanks again, everyone!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000