Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 A little Spring Excitement today
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  7:51:40 PM  Show Profile
You might never think that the leafy Yale Campus just south of us, and where I spent a major portion of my student and working life, would make the national news so often. But it does - regularly. And it did again today. Some banana blew up a small part of the Law School today.

Nobody hurt. But, it turns out that Sarah was driving off campus just 3 blocks away from it just about when it happened - and she never knew it. Then she went right back downtown right by the place to buy some candy for a party. Watching the news coverage on TV and, especially, the press questioning of the officials was a laugh riot. Yet again, the newsies displayed how ignorant they are - and how they don't listen to what people say, and are not able to interpret statements properly without putting some sensational spin on their questions.

The sad part is that the building is beautiful, with humorous, accomplished sculpture carved into the walls by the original immigrant laborers who built the place, lovely woodwork and art. In addition, the last 5 years have been spent renovating it (as most of the campus has been renovated).

You will probably see and hear something about it on the news. You can read the NYT prelim account here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/21/national/21WIRE-YALE.html

It is a tempest in a teapot in comparison to some of the things we have been through. It was actually very nervous-making examining every piece of mail or package I got after Crazy Ted blew off David Gelernter's hand. The 20 pounds of dynamite that was set off across the street from where I lived as a senior in 1969 got my attention. So did the squadron of tanks and APCs that were parked in my parking lot during the Bobby Seale Riots. A couple of years ago they found about 500 lbs of explosives in a Weather Undergound cache a few buildings down from where Sarah had her apartment when she was a bachelorette.

That's it from the front lines...

...over to you, Jim.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  10:39:34 PM  Show Profile
Glad I'm living in No CA in a "retro enclave" that is mostly worried about how much brain they've got left after the 60's. Not true - mostly worried about whether or not they will have jobs tomorrow and how much their stocks are worth. I AM NOT A TECHIE. ('Scuse me, seem to be getting carried away.)

I had a great teacher, Rev. Bob Reicher, back in undergrad Sociology - we learned sociology by getting in a bus and driving around the neigborhoods in Chicago, theory in practice. Anyway, Fr. Reicher used to say that the sad truth is that fanatics will almost always have their way, mainly because they will use tactics more harmful, and tenaciously stay at them more than sane and sensible people could tolerate. And that sane and sensible people cannot bring themselves to use the level of tactics needed to stop the fanatics. Something like that.
Good you're both safe.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  10:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Glad to hear no one was hurt in the incident. Hoping that our nutty world does not get any more nuttier.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  01:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Reid, mo bedda you get your buns to Maui! See you there in less than a month! YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Sorry, I get a little excited at the prospect of coco palms outside of my window! Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  12:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid & Sarah!
Thank goodness you are both safe and sound!
Have fun on Maui!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000