Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: Hawai`i Cultural Foundation's Ho`omau Series
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  2:55:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
HAWAI`I CULTURAL FOUNDATION’S HO`OMAU SERIES

Recognizing the importance of perpetuating Hawaiian culture for future generations, HCF creates opportunities for those outside of Hawai`i to learn, practice and explore the language and everyday traditions of ka po`e kahiko (old Hawaiians). HCF’s educational programming emphasizes the language and ancient traditions such as the navigational arts, healing arts and belief-system.

LECTURE: Talk-story with Carol Silva-
Perpetuation of Hawaiian Tradition in Contemporary Society: Spirituality, Hula and Language

Friday, June 27, 2003 at 7 p.m.
Suggested donation: $10

WORKSHOP: Introduction to Hawaiian Language
Saturday & Sunday, June 28 – 29, 2003
from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Fee: $150 HCF member/ $165 General

This intensive Hawaiian language weekend retreat is open to all members of the `ohana - keiki to kupuna. As an introduction to Hawaiian language and refresher for more experienced Hawaiian speakers, this workshop will introduce practical conversational Hawaiian and basic sentence structure and vocabulary, including speaking, oral drills, reading, writing, dictating, composing, group interactive and individual exercises. During the weekend, various aspects of Hawaiian cultural traditions including history, genealogy, Hawaiian spirituality, and perpetuation of tradition through the arts and crafts, hula and mele will be presented.

Instructor: Carol Silva
Carol Silva, University of Hawai`i Hawaiian Language Instructor & Hawai`i State Archives Records Management Chief, is an educator and historical/cultural researcher/translator. Carol has worked over a dozen years at various museums and historic sites on O`ahu as curator and in docent-training and education programs. Carol has also written major historical reports for the restoration of Mauna Ala (the Royal Mausoleum), the island of Kaho`olawe and dozens of land histories for special interest groups over the last 25+ years. She currently serves as an archivist and manager for the State and writes a column for an in-flight magazine.

LOCATION: American Indian Community House, 404 Lafayette, 8th Floor Circle (South of Astor Place)

INFORMATION: 212-966-3378 or email hcf @ hcfnyc.org or www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org

LANGUAGE WORKSHOP REGISTRATION

NAME:_______________________________________ $150 HCF Member ______ $165 General _______

ADDRESS:____________________________________ TOTAL: ____________________

CITY:__________________ST______ZIP___________ Checks made payable to: Hawaii Cultural Foundation
P.O. Box 250050
PHONE:_________________ EMAIL:___________________ New York, NY 10025

--
Nersa M. Miller
Secretary
HAWAI`I CULTURAL FOUNDATION
P.O. Box 250050
New York, NY 10025
212-966-3378
hcf @ hcfnyc.org
www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Carol is truely a asset to Hawaiiana. Knowledgable, friendly, good communicator and she can hula to. She was an advanced student of Aunty Kauhi Zuttermeister.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000