Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 What uke to buy, pt. 2?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2003 :  12:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Steve!

Welcome to the realm. (see Pauline, I really do read the 4 pegger posts)

Where at in California? We've a strong presence in this state:) and occasionally get together for some kanikapila.

CmdrPiffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

sdm
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  02:30:07 AM  Show Profile
We're in San Jose.

A Hawaii trip about 4 years ago inspired me to learn guitar. I even remember the exact moment - we walked out to the beach at Hanalei bay to enjoy the sunset; the McMasters were sitting out on the beach, with a battery powered amp, playing the most delightful music, simply for the joy of it, for themselves as well as any who happened by. The beach, the sunset, and the beautiful sounds, the aloha - ahh that truly is the life......

I came home and acquired a guitar later that summer, and we've returned to Hawaii each year since.

I started working on slack key a few weeks ago, with Ozzie's book. And last week, my wife decided she wanted an uke - to play for her 2nd grade students (she's a teacher), as well as the fun of it.

The get-togethers sound like a blast, we will look into those.....

Aloha
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  12:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I used to hang out at a local ukulele store here in Kona, and the owner showed me that the sound coming out of an instrument depends more on the piece of wood that it is made from than the name that it carries. He would hand me two different Lanikai ukes and sure enough; one would ring like a harp, the other would plunk like a banjo. The nature of wood is that it is complex and no two pieces are exactly alike. Hence, if you go into a store and pick out 3 or 4 instruments that appeal to you (and play well),
You get the best 'deal' if you choose your uke with your ears.
Turn your back, and have a friend play them at random. Pick the one that sounds best to you. It is not always the most expensive uke that sounds the best.
One other piece of advice that I learned from a luthier is to compare the harmonic at the 12th fret to the note that is played when you press down on the 12th fret. If they are not identical, there is something wrong with the fret spacing or possibly the string is too high on the bridge end.
If you or a trusted friend are comfortable working on an instrument, you can sometimes find an inexpensive uke that sounds great and has lousy action (strings too high). Take it home, file the nut and/or bridge, and end up with an instrument that plays and sounds great.

One last tidbit of dubious merit: "Tahitian Koa" is not koa. When you buy a koa ukulele, make sure know exactly where the koa came from, or at least compare the wood with a ukulele that you know to be koa. Tahitian koa looks nice, but just be aware that it is not actually koa and should not be priced as if it were.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000