Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Hawaiian music show debuts Friday
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  11:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
From the Honolulu Advertiser

Posted on: Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Hawaiian music show debuts Friday
By Wayne Harada
Advertiser Entertainment Writer
There may be good reason to stay home Friday and Saturday nights this summer. If you fancy Hawaiian music, both traditional and with a contemporary spin, "Heineken Hot Hawaiian Nights," premiering Friday (and repeating Saturday), just may be the ticket to spice up your nocturnal pleasures.

Over 11 weeks on K-5 (Channel 5), 11 acts will perform one-hour concerts from various nightspots, presenting an array of island music reflecting the spectrum of resident talent.

"Rotating the different acts at different locations will help expose not only talent, but give viewers a sample of the venues," said John Fink, general manager of K-5 and KHNL.

"Many of the on-site acts are Hoku Award winners, and the intent is to showcase and support island music, since the performers will be doing music off their CDs."

Willie K will kick off the series, which is being presented with the support of radio KCCN/KINE.

Keali'i Reichel, who has been absent from the concert scene for months, makes a special appearance.

Hosts will be KCCN-FM radio personalities Billy V, Lina Girl and Pipi.

The concerts will be aired live on K-5 (except where noted) from 7 to 8 p.m. Fridays, and will be retelevised from 9 to 10 p.m. Saturdays.

Most locations will be able to accommodate limited audiences, so those out on the town should arrive early or check for space availability. Drink minimums may apply but there will be no cover charge.

Armchair viewers can expect this slate (subject to change):
  • Friday and Saturday — Willie K, from the Esprit Lounge, Sheraton Waikiki Hotel.
  • June 6 and 7 — Maunalua, from the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel.
  • June 20 and 21 — Act and location to be announced.
  • June 27 and 28 — Ka'ala Boys and Kapena, from Kapono's, Aloha Tower Marketplace.
  • July 2 and 3 (because of the July 4 holiday) — The Brothers Cazimero, from Chai's Island Bistro, Aloha Tower Marketplace.
  • July 11 and 12 — Amy Hanai-ali'i Gilliom, from the Sheraton Moana Surfrider.
  • July 18 and 19 — Kapono, from Kapono's.
  • July 25 and 26 —Na Palapalai , from Chai's Island Bistro.
  • Aug. 1 and 2 — Keahiwai, from the Esprit.
  • Aug. 8 and 9 — Keali'i Rei-chel, from the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort & Spa at Ko Olina.
  • Aug. 15 and 16 — Act and location to be announced.
There will be no show on June 13 and 14 because K-5 will televise the Miss Hawai'i pageant live on June 13.

Fink said K-5 also will be showcasing island shows on Fridays, before and after "Heineken Hot Hawaiian Nights": "Lucky You Live Hawai'i" will air from 6:30 to 7 p.m. each Friday, and replays of "Best of UH Sports" will run from 8 to 10 p.m. Fridays, pushing back the usual WB shows those evenings.

Looks like some great music is lined up. Those of us not in Hawai`i will need to convince family, friend or online `ohana to record for us. -Admin

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  11:55:56 AM  Show Profile
No webcast, huh?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  12:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Heineken???

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Craig - you must be thinking more along the lines of "Heineken Cool, Refreshing Hawaiian Nights"?

No webcast that I know of.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  02:05:29 AM  Show Profile
AHA! Leave it to those Dutch to sponsor "hot" evening music.... (I'm Dutch, I'll drink a Heini!) So no way we can catch it on the mainland, huh? On June 20th we'll be at George Kahumoku's workshop on Maui, but the hotel doesn't have TV in the rooms! We're forced to kanikalia out in the open air instead... Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  04:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Julie, you should just pop open a Heini each evening as you all play together and enjoy your own hot Hawaiian nights!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000