Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Early Raymond Kane reissued
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  1:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Cord International has just reissued "The Complete Early Recordings" of "The Legendary Ray Kane, Old Style Slack Key." This is an excellent CD which should be in every slacker's library, without doubt. You get the "Black & White Album" and "Nanakuli's R.K.," complete with a few bonus tracks thrown in. Most of the noise is eliminated and the fidelity is excellent considering these are taken from old L.P's. A little uneven, but well within tolerance. It also gives us an excellent sample of recordings done before all the engineering and editing now present on most slack key CD's (There are, of course, both good and bad aspects to all this editing - I'm not trying to diatribe here, just point something out.) However, what makes this really great is George Winston's notes -- he tells you just about all of the "unusual" chord changes, so it shouldn't be too hard for most intermediate players to be able to figure out the notes Raymond is playing. His style - that's another question.
Personally, I think this is one you want to buy, not pirate, because that will encourage Cord to get more vintage slack key in print. No?
Raymond
San Jose

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  3:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have both of the original LPs that are included on this CD (the black and white album is from the '60s and Nanakuli's R.K. is from the mid-seventies) and both are excellent. Nanakuli's R.K. is probably my favorite of Ray's albums...although the recording of the LP was not the greatest experience for Ray his playing is both relaxed and exuberant and his voice is strong and sweet. I would definitely recommend this CD for anyone with an interest in slack key and especially to fans of Ray.

You can get more information on the new release and listen to sample tracks here:

http://www.cordinternational.com/ray_kane.htm

(Ray's version of Hi`ilawe on this CD, from Nanakuli's R.K., is one of my favorites!) Incidentally, Cord International is also the publisher "The History of Slack Key Guitar", which is another worthwhile addition to your music library.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/31/2003 6:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  7:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
There's also some great tracks with ukulele rhythm... a nice treat for those of us that love to accompany slack key with ukulele. The folks at Hawaiian Paradise Music (http://www.hawaiianparadisemusic.com) were kind enough to hold a copy for me at their Princeville cart... knowing that I would have to have one.

A hui hou,
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  1:39:35 PM  Show Profile
What a joy it was to be able to play this great re-release on my radio show on Wednesday -- and it triggered many phone calls from young fans who had never had the opportunity to hear these older recordings before.
Uncle Ray will have a whole new generation of fans...

Michael Cord and Harry B. Soria, Jr. have done such a wonderful job of remastering the original recordings onto this _excellent_ CD!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  03:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Ohana,
Just wanted to add a note to this. I was fortunate to spend a couple of days with uncle Raymond and Elodia in Nanakuli last week after the Napili workshop. I got a copy of this CD from him, and he told me a little story about the recording of the b/w album, maybe known already, I don't know. Anyways, he said that originally Margaret(?), the owner of Tradewinds, told him to pick the musicians he wanted for the session, which he did. After the recording, she told him she "could hear the uke players fingernails" so she chose a whole new lineup to play with Raymond. He couldn't remember who the originals were. It made me think that somewhere out there, maybe, is a master with the original session! IF it wasn't destroyed with other Tradewinds materials as per Margarets will. Almost makes me want to hit those Honolulu swap-meets!

bye now,
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 06/30/2003 03:53:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  1:19:28 PM  Show Profile
I picked this CD up at one of the music carts on Kaua`i and it's great to hear Ray at this stage of his career. What a strong voice and nahenahe Ki Ho`alu.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  1:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ross, are you sure this was the B/W album? Elodia told me the same story regarding "Nanakuli's Raymond Kane".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000