Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Should we add a "Beginner's Forum"?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
well, I, for one, feel complimented
excellent! it's one of the things i like about you!

andy, you got to work on a "nosy" emoticon here...

aloha,

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 06/12/2003 2:31:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile
I think its a great idea....as long as it is done exactly
how I want.

Everybody write their ideas and send them to me, then I'll decide what I like best.

Cmdr (It's all about me!) Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile
In an effort to be at least a little helpful...

I at first didn't think it would be too effective. It's an open forum and I agreed that it would segment the newer folks here.

After reading thru the responses, and seeing that at least one of the newer ohana saw merit in it...
Thats reason enough to try it. Never know. If we find folks going to a new players area and picking up ideas....well, that is a good thing.

Thats the beauty of this kind of forum. People with some useful knowledge could relate it, to be perused at leisure by others looking for an idea here and there. I don't know, maybe just an area where you could post ideas, but not argue the merits of them. Just information. (I do however love to discuss the merits of anything which I have an opinion on) We can always discuss the merits ad nauseam in the main area!

What I do want to say to anybody who reads this site, especially folks who lurk, or have reservations about posting...

Welcome. We would love to hear from you, but understand if you just read. The folks here can be opinionated to be sure, but understand - that is passion. Passion for Kiho'alu and all that it implies! Never will you find a better group of people with a real love and respect for each other.

Welcome is anyone who wants reside here for a while.
That's what this site is about.

ps Andy, can we have an area for 'Nosy and Opinionated Slackers' too?
I'm SO there!

:) notice continuing lack of emoticon usage

Mike

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  7:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Eric,

'Cause I'm a white boy living in Kalifornia...what's a lolo?

I usually run to Sarah or Reid when I need a translation, but no, they're on Maui. (I'm not bitter about being stuck at work in Santa Cruz, and not at the beach in Maui, nope, not a bit)

Sounds cool, maybe we could have a lolo forum here, or am I getting too far ahead of myself?
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Andy,

On the AG site, the Beginners' forum is usually full of questions from persons just starting. They may not even have a guitar yet. That hasn't seemed the case with posters here. My impression is that most everyone here has been playing for some time, although they may be new to ki ho'alu, so is a beginners forum really needed? I've really been on the fence.

Then Piffle mentioned non-posting lurkers.

And I remembered how AG was before they opened the Beginners' forum, how I hesitated to ask naive questions, and how I hadn't realized yet how often experienced posters really enjoy sharing what they know.

Andy, yes, please add a beginner's forum. Just the existence of the forum is an invitation and a welcome to new players to ask questions. Maybe some of the other suggestions would be good additions to the Learn part of this site, but each new player deserves a personal reply with a bit of aloha and some encouragement in their chosing both guitar and slack key, not just a pointer to the appropriate part of the site or an admonishment to do a search.

It will be a chance to share. Copying from the Home page,
"Play the best you can and share what you know. If we don't share slack key, we'll lose it. That almost happened once, so watch out. Take care of it."
- Uncle Raymond Kane

Aloha all,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  8:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'll let the discussion run and see what y'all decided when I get back from a little fun in the sun! We're Maui bound!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Like Andy I read everything that gets posted. No matter what new category comes along.....I'm there. Sulle'
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  12:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Hey Eric,

'Cause I'm a white boy living in Kalifornia...what's a lolo?

I usually run to Sarah or Reid when I need a translation, but no, they're on Maui. (I'm not bitter about being stuck at work in Santa Cruz, and not at the beach in Maui, nope, not a bit)

Sounds cool, maybe we could have a lolo forum here, or am I getting too far ahead of myself?
Mike

Hi Piffle, "lolo" in english means "stupid or idiot" in a nice way I like to believe since I was called that a lot while growing up here in Hawaii. You may find this link helpful in the future.

http://www.hisurf.com/hawaiian/dictionary.html
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  11:49:47 PM  Show Profile
My $.02.

How's about a "Technical" section?

As a rough, off-the-top-of-the-head suggestion for some subheadings:
- Tunings (specific questions re tunings; i.e., chords, vamps, etc.)
- Songs (lyrics, chords, 'baseline' versions, suitable tunings, etc.)
- Starting up ('beginner' or fundamental-related questions, comments, etc.)
- Equipment/tchotchkes (guitars, strings, capos, etc.)
- ???

This may be a good way to put the all the "nuts-and-bolts" stuff in one, easy-to-access/search place.

It may also encourage a bit more input from those of us with cultural orientations that tend to disincline us towards the epistemological or cosmological aspects of the discussion.

Getting any, lately??

-dean

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000