Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Online Language Site -learn through mele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Kihoalu ohana; been long time I visit TP!

One of my chorus-mates sent me this link for a site with an article, and links for an online radio show which uses mele to teach Hawai`ian language.
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really good.
The show will air every other week, live on Wednesdays, but they archive as well, so you can always listen-in.

http://starbulletin.com/2003/06/08/news/story5.html

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 06/09/2003 2:38:55 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  2:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ross,

Yes, this is very cool. Thanks for the link.

For additional discussion, there was also talk about it last Friday buried in this post: Online Hawaiian Language & Culture Classes

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  3:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hi Andy, thanks. I did a little searching to see if it was here already, but you know how that goes; just get the right keyword!

Yeah, the PDF songbook alone is worth the visit, with chord charts.

please delete this if it's redundant.

OK, I go now.

Ross-asaurus
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  4:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
please delete this if it's redundant.
Redundant? Maybe, but I think the program deserves its own post anyway. Better chance that people will not miss it.

For our community, this is such a great opportunity. Learn songs, language, and stories from some fantastic teachers.

My only problem is that I don't think I could fast forward through the archive. I listened to about 2/3 of the show before going to bed. Is there a way to continue where I left off? Maybe I missed something?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  7:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ross, thanks for reminding me of this. The PDF songbook is very nice, but gives no hint as to the melody. I was able to record three versions of "Waikapu" from the archive as enormous .wav files using a tiny phone mic.

Andy, you missed Pekelo's falsetto version I think, and I hope you missed instructions on how to restart midway through, but I didn't see any either. Maybe somebody here knows how.

FYI, the first song version by Teresa Wright, I think that is her name, comes on at about 7.5 minutes. It is the second song in the PDF song book, so Ekela Kaniaupio-Crozier is not taking them in the printed order.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  11:03:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey Ross,

I havn't even clicked on the link yet.

How the heck are you? Very long time no hear.
Nice to see you writing again.

Nothin' else, just wanted to say hey.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  02:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aloha all,

Pauline, luckily, Waikapu was one of the mele we worked-on in Napili last year with George.

I couldn't get it to go when I tried the site, so I can't help with the restart issue.

Hi Pif, you know, Spring sprung and the computer screen just became way less attractive to me!

OK, I'm off-topic so I'll stop (somebody get his mouse before he posts again)
Ross
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Found out that for now there is no way to fastforward, rewind or ability to restart a program somewhere in the middle. Although when the program is completed, the archives will probably be reformatted (perhaps even to tape or CD.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  10:37:30 AM  Show Profile
That's what I like about you Andy. You go to the source for information instead of waiting for a board member to supply it. You even remember that there are original sources.

Come to think of it, it was worth the wait. ;~)

Mahalo,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  11:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
This is a great source of learning...I endorsed it with aloha! Simple logic, every Hawaiian song can be played in Slack-key therefore the more songs you know the more slack-key you will be able to play.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  01:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Andy, whether or not you're able to control the playback of a stream depends on what player you use (and what platform you're on)...some players offer a progress bar that allows you to set your position within the stream. There are also programs available that allow you to capture a stream to your hard drive, which gives you full control over playback and even allows you to transfer it to a CD.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  2:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Craig-
What program can you 5ecommend to capture a steam to hard drive?
Thanks
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000