Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Party Songs Hawaiian Style Vol. 2
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  01:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have a copy of Party Songs Hawaiian Style Vol. 2 (Leonard Kwan/Raymond Kane, Tradewinds TS-104) on CD and am trying to determine which songs were performed by Leonard and which by Ray. Can anyone help? Here's what I have so far:

1. Halialaulani/Hi`ilawe - Bob Davis, Noelani and the Trio
2. Slack Key Medley (Aia Hiki Mai/Koni Au/Palisa) - Leonard Kwan
3. Kane`ohe Hula - The Trio
4. Kumukahi - Alex Cash (ukulele) and Leonard Kwan (bass)
5. Akaka Falls - Bob Davis, Noelani and the Trio
6. Manu O`o - Noelani and Leonard Kwan
7. Slack Key Medley (Punahele/Moana Chimes) - Raymond Kane
8. Sweet Lei Mamo - Bob Davis and the Trio
9. Hawaiian Love - Leonard Kwan
10. Nani Nu`uanu - The Trio
11. Old Plantation - Bob Davis and the Trio
12. Slack Key (Heleakala improv) - Raymond Kane
13. Waltz Medley (Noenoe Ua Kea o Hana/Remember Be Sure/Lei Awapuhi) - The Trio featuring Noelani
14. Willy's Tune -- Meleana E - Raymond Kane
15. Wiliwiliwai - Bob Davis and the Trio
16. Hawaiian Reverie - Raymond Kane and Noelani

Track info is now correct; see seventh post below for details

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/01/2003 04:08:32 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  1:09:52 PM  Show Profile
You'll find an explanation of "who played which songs" here -- the ones with no names behind, were duets by both musicians:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1058.htm

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  2:06:45 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Craig,

Hey this is a good quiz! Let's see how everyone can contribute.

I was very fortunate, to have had the opportunitie to sit and play along with Leonard Kwan, When ever he made his visits to Maui.

He would give a call on the phone, And the next thing you knew we were in the back yard, jamming away.

These were the songs Leonard would always play.
So I'm assuming, he did it on Party Songs vol.2.

1.kaneohe hula
2.kumukahi
3.manu o'o
4.sweet lei mamo
5.old plantation

Out of those 5 songs I don't know if Raymond played any of them, because both artist could play each others tunes too. But again I'm assuming Leonard did, those 5. And the others you mentioned.

Leonard loved to play the drop C. Infact here in the islands, Another name for the drop C was called..."The Leonard C".....

My Son and I also shared the same stage with Raymond Kane in several slack key concerts here in the islands. Because there was a time limit on stage (20 min.) I really never had the chance to listen to Uncle Raymonds Songs.

He would play the same ones, So never got to hear him play those other songs you have listed.
Maybe someone else could fill in the other blanks. Hope this helped.

Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  2:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

You'll find an explanation of "who played which songs" here -- the ones with no names behind, were duets by both musicians:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1058.htm
Mahalo Auntie Maria...that helps a lot. However, the tracks on the LP are different than the ones on the cassette, which is what you have listed.

Mahalo to Kevin also...what a privilege to have played with both artists! Based on your input I've updated the tracks in my original post that are not included in the cassette release and added question marks next to a few of the duets. Still missing is Wiliwiliwai, which is a lot more fun to listen to when you understand the title!

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 11/20/2002 2:15:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2002 :  2:54:15 PM  Show Profile
I pulled out my copy of "The Island Music Source Book" and found some info about that particular recording -- here's what's listed for the songs you've got with "?" marks on Tradewinds Records 104:

3. Kane`ohe Hula -- Bob Davis (who dat??)
4. Kumukahi -- Alex Cash (huh??)
5. Akaka Falls -- Bob Davis (okay...anyone got info?)
6. Manu O`o -- Noelani Mahoe (now _that's_ a surprise!)
8. Sweet Lei Mamo -- Bob Davis (again <g>)
11. Old Plantation -- no listing (editorial error in book, I fear)
15. Wili Wili Wai -- Bob Davis

Even with its errors (songs including in medleys are lost; only the first song of the medley is included...drat!), this book is a reference treasure. It includes _all_ known recordings from vinyls to the CD released prior to the book's publication in summer 1999. It's out of print, but if you're lucky enough to find it online (or covered with dust on the bookshelf of a store in Hawai`i), grab it!

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  2:33:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Auntie Maria, Bob Davis ended up with his own album on Tradewinds: Bob Davis On The S.S. Lurline (TS-116). From the liner notes:

Bob Pauhaleokapioanaokeanuenueokalani Davis, with a smile as big as his name and the engaging personality came to Oahu from the southern-most island in the Hawaiian chain, known to Kamaainas as "The Big Island." He typifies the characteristics of all Island people -- warm friendliness, talent and a sincere love and personal concern for all people, one to ninety-one! Unlike many young people, Bob has a particular fondness and affection for our Senior Citizen and this has endeared him to all but especially delighted this group.

Doubling as host and entertainer at the Halekulani Hotel before going on to become Cruise Host aboard Matson's S.S. Lurline, Bob's friends are legion. Honolulu columnist Eddie Sherman once reported: "One of Waikiki's Biggest Smiles: Bob Davis greeting guests at the Halekulani."

His dance interpretations of "Maunaloa" and "Laupahoehoe Hula" are as famous and popular as his songs and we have included these two numbers on this, Bob's very first and long-awaited complete album.

Other artists on the LP are Bill Aliiloa Lincoln, Eddie Pang, Annie Hu, and Leinaala Cypriano. No copyright date, but my guess is early to mid-sixties.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 01/22/2003 03:09:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  04:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, I finally tracked down a copy of the LP through eBay and updated my initial post with the correct info. Here is a little more detail from the liner notes:

Volume Two features no single artist, but rather a group of talented musicians. Bob Pauhale Davis, outstanding young baritone, in his second LP for Tradewinds; Leonard Kwan, whose recent recording of an entire LP entitled "Slack Key" is enjoying considerable popularity; Edwina Noelani Kanoho whose fans will enjoy her first LP; Alex Cash whose work is familiar to many, on the ukelele; and Raymond Kane, new to recording studios but a favorite among those who have a good "slack key ear."

The album, four numbers longer then Volume I, also introduces a trio consisting of the Kaopuiki sisters, Frances and Lynette, as well as arranger and soloist Edwina Noelani Kanoho (who will be remembered best for her recording of "Palisa," the first record published by Tradewinds.)

The liner notes list the vocalists for each track, as shown in my first post, but not the musicians (except for the instrumentals). Of particular interest to Leonard Kwan fans is the fact that he plays bass on track 4, "Kumukahi", as accompaniment to Alex Cash's ukulele!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2003 :  1:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

"The Island Music Source Book"...Even with its errors (songs including in medleys are lost; only the first song of the medley is included...drat!), this book is a reference treasure. It includes _all_ known recordings from vinyls to the CD released prior to the book's publication in summer 1999. It's out of print, but if you're lucky enough to find it online (or covered with dust on the bookshelf of a store in Hawai`i), grab it!
The book is listed as in stock at Booklines Hawaii for anyone who's interested.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000