Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hello to Everyone
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dorbiso
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  7:24:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello to Everyone!

My name is Dean and I stumbled across this forum and have been enjoying reading everyone's comments and posts.

I've been playing guitar now for almost 15 years and have just started getting more serious in studying and playing the slack key style. Although I dabbled with it a bit back in 2001 (during my first and unfortunately only trip to Hawaii), i started getting more serious about slack key about a year ago.

Anyways, i've purchased two instructional books and several music cd's of artists like Keola Beamer, a compilation from Dancing Cat Records, Ledward Kaapana, and various other compilations of classic tunes.

I was wondering if anyone in the forum could direct me towards other artists I should check out and if anyone knows of any local places in Southern California to hear some good slack key players?

I appreciate any help i could get and I look forward to talking to all of you more in the future!

Thanks

Dean

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  8:31:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Dean,

Mainly I'm just saying welcome.

You might like to check out Ozzie Kotani's CD's and his method book if you don't have it. You play fingerstyle already? On another forum someone recommended a couple of Mark Hanson's books. He said by the time he worked to the end of the second book, he had thumb and finger independence pretty well mastered. Yikes, that slow; I have a long way to go. If you are interested, I can go back and look up the info. These were not slack key books, although he has published a book of transcriptions of several of the masters.

Have you checked the link Andy put on the home page, right at the bottom, to hear what some of the members are playing?

I'm at the wrong end of I-5, but other members can recommend local venues, I'm sure. They'll be by.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  9:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi dean, e komo mai!

where are you in southern california? we have an active group here in san diego, and pete santilla and keoki (don't know his last name) are out towards riverside.

i don't know many performers outside of the folks who tour. don narup is working on bringing more people by, though.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  12:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dean, welcome
As you continue your journey in slack key you might want to check out some of the fopllowing, in addition to DancingCat Musicians. In my opinion, every slack key player should have the entire DancingCat collection - and listen to one of those CD;s each day:
(No spell checking, so sorry for typos)
- At some point you probably want to listen to Gabby Panihui and Atta Isaacs. (Panini Publ) In may ways Gabby started the slack key renaissance. I listen to Gabby more for the feeling than the licks.
- Couple of "History of Slack Key albums out there worth the look - check out mele.com
- Owanna Salazar's Slack n Steel has some beautiful contemporary stuff on it.
- I would also recommend listening to Ho'okena and Makaha Sons - not slack key, but beautiful arrangements of lots of music you will probably want to play -- listen to the background and you will hear lots of licks that you can incorportate into your playing. Much of the recording of these two groups is probably accessible with your background. You will have to transpose to your open tuning, but these groups begin each cut with a fairly clear presentation of the basic melody.
- Finally, for me, Willie K is always worth listening to -- not so much his blues and rock (which is Santana level playing) but his more traditional Hawaiian stuff -- check out the arrangements he did with Amy Hanali'i Gilliom- listen to his guitar and drool. He's mostly playing in standard tuning, but there's a lot of great stuff to shoot for.
I can probably make a list of 20 - 40 recordings that I think are "A list," but for my mood today, the above are a good starting place.
As to performers -- make sure you regularly check in at mele.com, where Auntie Marie has an up to date calendar of touring musicians.
Enjoy your journey
E ola mau ki ho'alu
(Long live slack key)
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  01:15:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Dean, and welcome! Cor CDs I would recommend anything by Ray Kane, Ozzie Kotani, or George Kuo for a solid foundation, along with the history CDs Raymond mentions. From there it's a matter of what suits your individual tastes, and the Dancing Cat compilations are a good way to check out a number of different artists without spending a fortune. Mele.com is also a good place to hang out...with sound samples of most tracks you can spend a few hours sampling albums and artists before you buy. Also check out half.com for some real bargains on slightly used (and often new) CDs.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

dorbiso
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2003 :  04:49:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for everyone's input. Keith, Im down in the Long Beach/Lakewood area. There's a big slack key group in San Diego? Thats awesome! I usually buy all my guitars at Buffalo Bro's in Carlsbad....i'll have to ask the locals there if they have any input too.

Once again....thanks to all who provided input!

Dean
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Dean! My name's slackkey Bill, and I live in Maui, Hawaii! Anotherone's got that "slack key bug" it seems!And I think that it's great you've found that passion for "Kiho'alu Stylings"! After playing the guitar for almost 15 years, it will make it that much easier for you to learn Slack Key....Trust me....it's never too late to begin.

I've done it for about 6 years, and I started years later! Hey! if you're ever in Hawaii again, you can join us over in Waihe'e Valley, Maui. Every Saturday, at around 10:00 a.m. or later, we meet in the yard of a 150 year old "Christian Protestant Church". The Ka'u (Church Pastor) himself is too a Slack Key Guitar player. He was the one that opened his "Churchyard" for us to get together and play Kiho'alu Stylings there.

We've been getting together frequently on Saturdays. The "Big Kahuna" of our Hawaiian Slackey Gang is "Bruddah" Kevin (Ohana Brown) on this website. But when his out on a Gig or off Island, I keep the campfires burning for all who wants to come and join us! It don't matter whether you're just a beginner or someone who's been doing it for a long while. I don't know how to read Tablerture, or know how to play chords...I jus'press. I have a style that is my own as it should be for everyone!

But I encourage you to learn from Slack Key Artists who do have books and other lesson plans. But My advice to you is...use them only as a guideline. Don't try play exactly like them, learn the basics, and practice practice practice alot. If you can, get together with Keith Marzullo whose close to your neck of the woods, or even try to get together with Stacey's group in the San Francisco area.

You can learn from others by just playing with them, watching and first-hand experience. I first got together with Keith here on Maui. If you've seen the photo that was posted on this website, there is that one with Keith and I at their home in Kaanapali Hills. It was there I taught him my version of "Lahainaluna". He's a jack of all trades I learned! He took my version, and did the tablertures for it. Now he's got an even nicer version of my version!

That's what it's all about Dean....stick with it, pratice alot,take it one step at a time, have patience, make mistakes! Next thing you know you'll be with us on Open-Mike Night at "The Blue Marlin Restaurant and Grill" on Maui over-looking "Maalaea Harbor"!

Welcome to our World of Kiho'alu! Now you too can join the ranks to help Perpetuate this beautiful "Style Of Hawaiian Slack Key"
See you in the future Dean! Take care! God Bless! Good Health and Prosperity.....A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill Pellazar
Go to Top of Page

Lanakala
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  02:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Try DANO"S in Hermosa Beach on Sunday's. Lehua Nash (Led's sister)used to play there often and still may. Anyone who wants to get together in the LA/Orange County area and jam, Speak UP!!

-late
Randall
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  03:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Dean, I've asked around at Buffalo Brothers for slack key leads without any luck. Let me know if you fare better.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  2:24:46 PM  Show Profile
Dean,
Don Narup at cracompliance @ crahelp.com is basically running the So. Cal Slack Key Society (Club). It's a pretty loose group; no dues or rules or structure. We meet informally once a month in S.D. Don is always trying to attract some Slack Key talent and has some decent contacts. Contact him for the gory details.
Go to Top of Page

dorbiso
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  6:02:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Guys again for all the input....I'll definitely have to check that place out in Redondo Beach.

Bill....that sounds like a good offer to me!! I've never been to Maui....but thats one of the 5 choices my fiance and i are discussing for our honeymoon.... and she loves slack key music too!!!

Thanks again guys.....

Oh, just a quick question....while i've been tuniing down mostly with my Martin and Taylor steel strings, i've also been using my Yamaha Classical guitar to play a few tunes as well.... the wider neck allows easier transitions on some of the tunes i'm working on.
Anyways whats everyone's opinion on using classical guitars?

Thanks

Dean
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  6:56:49 PM  Show Profile
Classical guitar? Excellent idea, in fact a superior idea. Can you guess what I use? And so do many of the stellar players, you know, the kind Dancing Cat records.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
dean,

hey, another reason to go honeymoon on maui! ed kalama plays a classical guitar, and he makes it sound great. i think that pauline plays a classical guitar too... have you listened to to moses kahumoku (http://www.mele.com/v3/info/104.htm)? he does some amazing things on classical guitar.

try to come down and join us in a slack key meeting. i think that stacey might visit us for our next meeting - last i heard, it will be on july 28th.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  8:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Dean,
I play exclusively on nylon string guitars - as far as I'm concerned the classical guitar gives you a much greater range of tonality. Key is to get good strings - ones which match your guitar sound. I use Hense high tension carbon trebles on my student grade Yamaha and they sound great. (I keep it in C Wahine, which I dont play too often, which is why my cheap guitar is tuned to it.) I've also used Luthier brand on the Yamaha- much cheaper and a decent sound, but they don't work well if you slack down more than 1 full step from Spanish tuning. People at Strings by mail have a wide variety available -- try out a few different ones. Hense are my overall favorites.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  8:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Keola Beamer and Ozzie Kotani are two others that play classical guitar on some of their tracks (nylon string guitars, anyway). I just bought a very unique Aria NXG-01 nylon/electric that has the same neck width as a steel string and it's a blast to play...it has a 26-fret neck so you can even do chimes on the 24th fret! I'll bring it to the next So. Cal Slack Key meeting.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  9:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Dean,
Aloha to you. Welcome to the fold.

I have to get my plug in for Moses Kahumoku. He only had one album that was solo, but it is 100% nylon string. Classical guitars are wonderful for Kiho'alu, but they will have some limitations. Most of the 'classic' style guitars are actually built to be stressed and true in standard tuning. Loosening the keys may cause some buzzes to be sure. The newer generation guitars like Craig mentioned don't suffer from those limitations however.
Truss rods are a beautiful thing indeed. I would highly suggest Raymonds suggestion of the high tension Hense strings. I use d'daddy'O's on a couple of mine, but may try those on RJSs' recommendation myself.
Cydas just started a thread on strings, so check there for what will sure to be better suggestions.

Again, welcome, even if yer in SoCal :)

Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000