Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ukulele sightings in movies, video
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile
got two two for you...

The Cat's Meow
A recent movie about Charlie Chaplin, William Randolph Hearst and other silent movie era celebs. Has a scene near the beginning where a small group plays at funeral, ukulele guitar and lap steel, as I remember it -- very brief.

Five Easy Pieces
Stuck in a traffic jam after work at the oil well, Jack Nicholson's friend Elton, plays ukulele and sings a song about a dog -- very brief. Nicholson then barks at a dog and begins playing a piano on the back of a moving truck.

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  10:55:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
A classic would have to be Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters doing a duet of ukulele and cornet on the beach in "The Jerk."
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  11:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
At the end of the Beatles' recent "Free as a Bird" video there is a shot from behind of a guy in a concert hall playing ukulele. George Harrison played the piece originally, but the director of the video thought it had been sampled and wouldn't let George play it in the video (and now feels terrible about it).

The "Beatles Anthology" DVD set features several shots of George playing ukulele in his backyard with Paul and Ringo.

On a lighter vein, Disney's "Lilo and Stitch" features a ukulele-playing alien!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/28/2003 03:17:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  03:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

A classic would have to be Steve Martin and Bernadette Peters doing a duet of ukulele and cornet on the beach in "The Jerk."
"I don't need anything except this ukulele and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ukulele. And TaroPatch.net. The ukulele and TaroPatch.net and that's all I need..."

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  10:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Craig,

You crack me up! So subtle are your references. (root of refer?)

I be tinkin' about taking up the uke. As a 6 string player, I'm thinking concert, tenor, or baritone, anything but the dreaded 'S'

What do you play? I know about the flukes and a few others, but for the most part am 'ukelele challenged'

Help me Obi Wan, I want to come to the dark side.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  11:37:54 AM  Show Profile
Two tenors:

Island Ukulele (Raymond Rapozo) from Kaua`i - strung with a low G

and a Kamaka 6 string

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  6:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That was subtle?! I'm more Jar Jar than Obi Wan when it comes to ukuleles...I have an all-koa Larrivee but never play it. Everyone seems to point to the Fluke for an entry-level ukulele due to several factors, primarily in particular price, sound, and intonation. I know there have been several threads on the subject in the Ukulele section...you may want to search through some of the posts there.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  02:02:30 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, flukes may be good for an entry level player with no string instrument experience, but piffle is very fine ki ho'alu player. Among other guitar styles. Head straight for the koa tenors, or may I suggest that king of all 'ukuleles, the baritone?? 'sides, ya don't have to learn a new fret board <G>
President of the Baritone 'Ukulele Preservation Society, I am, according to Donley....

cathe
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  04:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I humbly defer to the opinion of the far better informed President Cathe.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  06:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Madame Presidente',

I humbly thank you for setting me straight on this one. After Dusty sent in those pictures of that Koa uke....yup. Thats gotta be it.
I am on the search now. Koa cause I don't have any koa guitars. And most likely baritone.

Take care Auntie Cathe, it's been a helluva summer, but we'll hook up. When I'm back from Long Island towards the end of July, I'm keeping my schedule free. Free thru November!

aloha to all,

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  6:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Long Island in July? Yuck!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  5:24:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Gonzo plays "Honolulu Harry" on ukulele in "The Muppets Take Manhattan".

Near the end of "Shallow Hal" a Hawaiian character plays ukulele on the porch (?) outside a building. (This movie is surprisingly good BTW.)

The first person kicked off the island in the first season of "Survivor" brought a ukulele as her personal item. (Her playing style was more "Tiny Tim" though.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 07/08/2003 3:48:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  7:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Howzabout A Place in the Sun, Shelley Winters, Montgomery Clift, Raymond Burr, Elizabeth Taylor.
During the party scene, the camera pans very briefly across a trio(?) of guitar and uke(s). As I recall it was rather nahenahe.
I was falling asleep during this one and heard some sweet music; had to rewind a bunch of times to try and catch the lyrics. Not worth renting just for this scene!

Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000