Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Chris Yeaton - Kikaha Malie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  01:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Chris Yeaton
Kikaha Malie – Slack Key and American Fingerstyle Guitar

I met Chris at the first Beamer Aloha camp in August of 2001 so it with excitement that I learned of and received his first CD titled Kikaha Malie (Gliding Free). Chris's recording debut presents 12 instrumentals and 1 vocal track.

As the title indicates, Chris performs a number of traditional slack key numbers paying homage to those players who inspired him.
  • Mana `Olana by John Keawe
  • Moe `Uhane by Sonny Chillingworth
  • Old Timer's Hula (traditional)
  • `Opihi Moemoe by Leonard Kwan
While to this listener Chris's ki ho`alu appears most influenced by John Keawe and Keola Beamer, his originals incorporate other American fingerstyle influences such as Alex de Grassi and Peppino D'Agostino. It should also be noted that Chris was a student of Patrick Landeza.

As an artist, Chris tells many stories through his fingerstyle arrangements including finding an injured myna bird, sunsets of the Big Island, first crushes, and the ending of relationships. His playing is full of emotion and his arrangements ranging from simply beautiful to richly complex. The final track is a unique remake of Ku`u Home O Kahalu`u featuring backup vocals by John Keawe and includes a percussive element to Chris's playing.

Listen to select tracks and purchase this CD at http://www.woodsongacoustics.com/gallery_yeaton.html

Andy

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2003 :  03:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Small world.

Chris and I shared a hale (house)last August. Loved listening to this man practice his pieces.

Humble, insightful, and as Andy stated...a mixture of John Keawe and Keola Beamer...in influence only.

The music is all his.

Thanks Andy. I didnt even know his last name. Now I can buy his CD.

Small world.

That's why I love Mark and Keola's Aloha Music Camp.

Real talent and aloha everywhere you look. Even if you didnt know you were looking for it.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000