Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 source for traditional tunes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:24:28 AM  Show Profile
Good ideas, all, on how to handle poorly bound books and multi-page songs! Thanks guys.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile
I also do the xerox, cut-and-paste onto cardboard backing that jcfergus described... and if there are too many pages and "real" music notation, I cut the pages into strips, and keep only the staffs of guitar tab, and tape them together. Cuts the number of pages in half...

But having a non-collectible rebound in spiral at your local binding-type store, I never thought of that!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  6:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha Hollis!

(Sorry, your handle "Bluzdulcimer" piqued my interest, so I peaked at your profile. The secret's out!)

Welcome to the wonderful world of ki ho`alu. Are you arranging things for dulcimer? Cool. There's a growing number number of us. Janita Baker's got some wonderful arrangements, Sue Carpenter's got the bug & I've got a new CD with some trad. polynesian tunes on both dulcimer and hummel, and a book in the works. Can't wait to hear what you do with it!

I just got back from Common Ground (MD) and Swannanoa (NC) - slack key is starting to spread out. I ad a number of folks in my slack key and dulcimer classes who were very interested in learning this gentle music.

Note to the rest of the list: the gentleman known as Bluzdulcimer is on of the finest mountain dulcimer players on the scene. Check out some of his great recordings to hear just how much music he can get from that little instrument.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  02:26:16 AM  Show Profile
I didn't even know much about a dulcimer until a friend of mine went out to buy a piano this wknd. Maybe y'all know this, but the dulcimer dates back to the 16th century Iran and is considered the first piano type instument (dont get me started on my debate with a professor that the piano is a percussion instrument).

To find that it came to be a part of Hawaiian music is as fascinating as the instrument itself.

I dont know why I find this so intriguing, I just do. LOL~

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  2:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Mark

Thanks for the kind words. I have been working from the book
you wrote with Keola Beamer. I love the duet pieces. The
music is so beautiful on guitar that I haven't tried any slack
key tuning on dulcimer yet. Living in the Mississippi delta,
I am struck by the similarities between slack key and early
Mississipi blues, especially the use of open tunings and how the
voice is used in conjunction with the guitar line.

Edited by - bluzdulcimer on 07/22/2003 3:02:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  3:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi bluzdulcimer,

That coincidence was discussed recently, and it may not be coincidental at all! Both styles may have originated in parlor music for the guitar in the 1800's. Here's the thread: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1007

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  1:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Yo -

the dulcimer dates back to the 16th century Iran and is considered the first piano type instument

Kinda.... The Persian instrument you refer to (the santoor) is far, far older than the 17th Century. It's been called the "foriegn zither" in China for well over a 1000 years. The instrument Hollis and I play is a fretted, or Appalachian, dulcimer. They ain't related, just ended up with the same name in the US. (This is a lot more common than you think -- one name for the fretted dulcimer in northen Europe was "mandolin..." Another was "Idiot's Zither.")

So what's this got to do with slack key? Not much. 'Cept slack key-style sounds really cool on the dulcimer.

Incidentally, according to the Hawaiian dictionary, the word is kukima. Which also works for bagpipe. Go figure. I'm pushing for ke kukima polinahe, cuz that describes both the shape and the sound of the instrument I play.

And yes, I have one that looks like a Weissenborn.

Check out Mhttp://www.mark-o.com for more.

Cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Somwhere I read that the word "dulcimer" was used in early Europe
to describe any instrument that was not easily categorized, hence
two very different instruments are both called a dulcimer today.
Don't know how true that is, but it makes a good story.

Mark, what tunings are used for slack key on mountain dulcimer?
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  8:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Somwhere I read that the word "dulcimer" was used in early Europe
to describe any instrument that was not easily categorized, hence
two very different instruments are both called a dulcimer today.

Never heard that before.

The only place that the hammered thingamajig is called "dulcimer" is in England -- and that's why the word is in the King James Bible. The Greek passage had psalteri, or something similar. (Any help here would be appreciated..)

The story I got from Ralph Lee Smith, and several others, was that the Appalachian dulcimer got it's name in America from that passage in the Bible about the "angels playing on their dulcimers and sackbuts." Lucky they didn't call it the Appalachian sackbut, huh?

I use the usual tunings: I like C G C and D G D mostly; though wth da kine five string things can get more interesting. (shameless plug follows: )Yeah, you can hear what it sounds like on my new CD.

For you slackheads -- yep, just three strings. One less than the `ukulele. The trick is to make it sound as good as someone like Hollis does.

Cheers,

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000