Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Makana
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:45:26 PM  Show Profile
Oops, I replied to a completely different post. Tough to communicate when we have the ability to come back 45 minutes later and edit our comments, turning them into something entirely different.

And sadly, far less polite...

You started your comments by stating "You don't even wanna know what I think of Occupy." Not "Occupy Vancouver". So it is only natural to assume that your thoughts encompass all of the Occupy movement. Yes, there were two paragraphs in your posts that were specific to Vancouver, but no reason to assume that the rest only applied to Vancouver and were not your thoughts on the movement in general.(What, exactly, does Makana's "ignorant" worldview, what we actually believe about rich people, and our understanding of economics, have to do with Vancouver?)

So no, I was not redirecting, or evading any of your points, for that matter- I think I addressed them fairly specifically. And the "personal attack" (other than stating you had biases) was just addressing your points, unless you are referring to my asking what you meant- a question you evaded nicely, redirecting the subject to the political sentiments of owners of Canadian media, while attacking me with epithets, calling me a "leftist". Apparently you are indeed a master of the "low tactic" you accuse me of, as you failed to address ANY of the points I raised. (Just in case you thought I would fall for it...)

(Incidentally, it's entertaining to be called a "leftist" for a change, instead of a far right extremist for my views on property rights, second amendment issues, etc. as tends to happen on other sites...)

Edited by - ypochris on 11/20/2011 7:48:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike Anderson
Akahai

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile
It must be very satisfying to have the wherewithal to be able to accomplish what you have. My wife and I are happy if we can make our mortgage payments and replace our little boy's clothes when they're full of holes or he outgrows them. We still donate monthly to a charity which will go unnamed but whose credentials are impeccable at using most of what they receive toward helping the truly desperate in equatorial Africa.

Not complaining; any economic shortfall we suffer is precisely because of choices we have made in life, just like most people in the developed world. And as for greed, which seems to trouble you a great deal - well, even as a lifelong low-income earner I do not consider service to others to be an obligation imposed at birth. Let the greedy be themselves and you be yourself. Everyone ought to have the right to spend the fruits of their labor as they see fit after what the State requires of them by law and short of doing direct harm; anything else is just more Marxism IMO.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Go to Top of Page

Mike Anderson
Akahai

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  7:52:43 PM  Show Profile
You know ypochris, there's a term we use in the Internet world for people who keep parroting and accusing you of what you've just told them you think they're doing: trolls.

Here you are at it again, conveniently ignoring the fact that I was addressing your comment about "who owns the media". "Leftist" isn't an epithet, it's an observation regarding your stated viewpoint. Edit: and we're supposed to be surprised that a major Hawaiian property owner is concerned about property rights while complaining about the "greed" of some unnamed adversaries he's dreamed up? This would actually be funny if the psychic disconnect weren't so screamingly obvious.

I've dealt with your kind far too many times to get sucked into this kind of adolescent, sociopathic merry-go-round again. We're done.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Edited by - Mike Anderson on 11/20/2011 8:06:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  8:10:24 PM  Show Profile
Returning, as you have, to polite interaction (which I prefer but can easily forego),

The problem with only contributing what the State requires by law comes in when the laws are dictated by the wealthy few, instead of created for the common good.

I have no idea what tax rates are in Canada, or how the costs of government are distributed, but here in America when all taxes are considered (income tax, FICA taxes,sales tax, property tax, fuel tax, "sin" tax, tariffs, assessments, fees, etc. etc. etc.) the poorest pay by far the highest percentage of their income in taxes, while the wealthy pay a very small percentage. Unearned income (dividends, interest, etc.) is taxed at half the rate middle class workers pay on their earned income. The tax system is grossly unfair, and the laws are written by multi-millionaires (every member of Congress) at the behest of those who are even richer- the ones who paid their way into office.

Yet government services, spending, enforcement, regulation- every aspect of government- overwhelmingly benefits the wealthy. Of course, as they own the Congresspeople. But the wealthy don't want to pay for it, and force that burden onto the middle class (defined, these days, as those making less than $380,000 a year after deductions).

OWS is primarily about trying to attain a system of government that is not corrupted by the wealthy. A democracy rather than a plutocracy. One person, one vote, rather than one dollar, one vote.

And that is a goal I would think almost anyone would support.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2011 :  8:32:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm a slow typist...

But neither adolecent nor sociopathic. Nor do I parrot. (Or call people derogatory epithets.)

And someone pointing out your hypocrisy does not make them a troll (another epithet).

Leftist is an opinion about my political beliefs, based on little evidence and used in this case as an epithet to describe me, not an observation of a fact.

Nor did you address any of the points I made. Except an unsupported claim, for no reason I can see as it didn't address any of the issues, that the ultra-wealthy owners of Canadian media are leftists- something I disagree with, but didn't bother to dispute as it is utterly off point- we are talking about rich vs. poor, not left vs. right.

"Done" works for me, since you aren't interested in addressing my points anyway. A good time to put on some slack key, avoiding anything politically charged, and enjoy the things we have in common instead of arguing about the things we disagree on.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  06:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Okay, good discussion but the political content seems to have outweighed the musical... sorry folks (posters and readers.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000