Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Sorry Talk Story description doesn't always apply
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chistoso
Aloha

38 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  3:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk Story
On topic? Off topic? No mattah! Come share your experiences of Hawaiian music, culture, or whatever in this informal talk story forum.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  6:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Chistoso,

You make a fair point. I will keep that in mind.

Defending my actions, I will add that once there are posts where members feel attacked or the term "troll" comes out, I find that it is better to lock the topic and move on. It was not the subject matter as much as the direction that the thread went/was going.

Thanks for your input.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  6:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

It was not the subject matter as much as the direction that the thread went/was going.
I agree with Andy's assessment. That's why this board works as well as it does - some small amount of unobtrusive moderation is helpful.

"Talk Story" can be a great catch-all, but we should at least try to stay with the topic that is the thread title. Maybe a free-for-all political thread should be started, and those who want only musical discussions will know to stay away from that one.

And the casual use of the term "troll" is always a reckless gesture in the internet discussion-board world, guaranteed to raise red flags.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  04:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that folks tend to treat each other fairly one on one. "Politics" can allow us to dehumanize and demonize others.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  05:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the puported "troll", I was more amused than bothered by the appellation, as it seemed to me that the other poster was using it to avoid having to argue my points on their merits.

I also was not surprised that Andy locked the thread, as it has become clear that only polite discussion is tolerated here. I try to keep my posts polite, but do tend to respond to fire with fire, although I will not resort to name calling and insults. However, that particular interaction had come to a close by the time the thread was locked, so I doubt it was necessary. I certainly understand Andy not wanting discussions that wind up alienating people, particularly when they are not even related more than tangentally to slack key.

I considered posting the question of what was and was not permitted to be discussed in this forum, but decided that while Andy stated that it was locked because it had strayed from the topic of music, it was clear to me that the real issue was the tone. Since I had played my part in creating the negative tone, I decided to just move on. Like I said at the end of my last post "'Done' works for me." I am just posting this to make two things clear- one, that it does not bother me that Andy locked the thread, and two, that interactions like that are amusing to me rather than disturbing. But there are plenty of other fourums dedicated to such discussions if they are not considered appropriate here.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  1:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was hoping that discussion would center on topics such as: if one is hired to make music in front of the President and if one has to submit one's playlist for approval ahead of time and if one strays from what they are contracted to do, is that something to brag about? Other government contractors get their contracts terminated when there is performance that is not in accordance with the terms of the contract. Does one accept pay for such a gig? Will that politicizing hurt or help his career?s Did it accomplish what he thought it would. What DID he think it would accomplish. Was it truly political or was it a publicity stunt, etc. I think folks are getting afraid of posting honest opinions any more.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

chistoso
Aloha

38 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  4:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the topic in question, I was reading with interest the various posts that followed Wanda’s introductory “Have at it boys.”

And have at it they did. (Was the discussion limited to boys?)

When I read a NY Times editorial that referred to Makana’s protest, I thought I would join the discussion by posting a link to it, but found the topic locked.

Here’s the link, and I’ll understand if Andy removes it if I’m overstepping my privileges here.

I mean no ill towards anyone. I just believe the NY Times editorial gives those of us who love Honolulu, as well as Makana’s music, something to think about.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/21/opinion/occupy-honolulu.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000