Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Manapua in Tacoma ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  4:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Headed to PNW (burrrr) to spend Thanksgiving with my kid and was wondering if anyone has a recomendation of where we might find Manapua to add to the Thanksgiving feast.

Thanks

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where in PNW? Uwajimaya Asian Markets would probably have 'em. (Seattle, Bellevue, Renton, Beaverton OR). You might also be able to order from dim sum restaurants.
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  07:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Gregg
We are fying into Seattle. My son lives in Tacoma in an area refered to as Proctor or Northend ? I'll check out Uwajimaya

Jim
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  11:14:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grill some pig. Slice. Mix with cheap packet of char sui mix in a bowl. Slit the sides of an entire package of Kings Hawaiian dinner rolls. Stuff red colored pig in rolls.
Steam on stove top.

Serve an tell the unkowning you made 'em from scratch.

I'm here to help

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student

Edited by - cmdrpiffle on 11/22/2011 11:14:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  11:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ cmdrpiffle. LOL! Very resourceful. Remind me never to eat "chicken" at your house.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  11:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
99 Ranch Market, Jim:

http://www.99ranch.com/store_locator_2.php?state_id=62

They are called Siu Pau or Sio Pau. The local 99 Ranch (San Diego) always has them freshly steamed in the attached restaurant as well as in the frozen section. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  1:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They call them char siu bao here in Cleveland. I don't care what they call them, I like them all!
Sounds like a lovely addition to anyone's Thanksgiving dinner.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2011 :  6:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just be sure to read the labels carefully. Guitarded kindly steered me away from the ones that said char siu bao-wao or meownapua, and I will always be grateful.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  08:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a store in the Pike Place market that sells, among other things, hum bow's (Pake for maunapua) that'll knock your socks off! I believe it's called "Me Sum Pastry" on the right side of Pike Place in the first block after entering on Pike Street (it's one way). They have BBQ pork, chicken curry and veggie versions.

Indeed, Uyijamaia sells several brands of maunapuas as well, but they aren't fresh.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh - Pike Place Market is in Seattle. It's worth the trip if you haven't seen it before. That's where they throw the fish. There are many shops of all varieties. The Cinnamon Roller has a whole wheat "sticky bun" that's almost meaty. YUM! It's 3 doors down from Me Sum Pastry, btw.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  08:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Costco has humbow. They're pretty good. LingLing brand used market them as manapua, can't find'em up here any more. Drat!
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  10:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Just be sure to read the labels carefully. Guitarded kindly steered me away from the ones that said char siu bao-wao or meownapua, and I will always be grateful.

Snort!

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2011 :  2:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the help. Arrived in Seattle last night......you folks get some rain here in the PNW.

Will try Ranch 99 tomorrow. Going to Pikes Place this weekend so will try Me Sum Pastry there..

It's great to be with the family for Thanksgiving.

happy Thanksgiving to you all

Jim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000