Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Downloading music
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  05:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some humor for Monday morning...

"Weird Al" Yankovic - Don't Download This Song

In recent news...

From Digital Music News, Monday, December 5, 2011

Legalize It! Switzerland Says Downloading for Personal Use Is Okay...

While France keeps intensifying its anti-piracy clampdown, Switzerland keeps moving in the opposite direction. Ahead of the weekend, the Swiss government declared that free downloading for personal use will remain legal, citing the results of a recently-released study. "The Federal Council concludes that no legislative action is needed," a publicly-issued statement concluded, as translated from German.

The action is likely to piss off an increasingly aggressive entertainment lobby, though the report runs contrary to most of their talking points. The study, sponsored by the Swiss government itself, found that free downloading does not adversely impact overall entertainment spending, and sometimes increases it. "The overall amount of disposable income being spent on entertainment remains constant, through shifts have been observed," the report notes.

That is, despite a finding that roughly one-third of the population over the age of 15 actively downloads content for free. But the report specifically pointed to subsequent purchases of concert tickets and merchandise, among other tangible items.

Which actually may make sense for the Swiss, a relatively wealthy group with often sizable piles of disposable income. And, that means that Swiss cultural output is unlikely to be affected, which is really what matters to the Swiss government. "This mostly affects foreign production companies," the report conclusion continues. "But they need to adapt to shifting consumer behaviors."

The report itself (in German), and debate at
http://digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2011/111204switzerland

And from the Taropatch.net home page...

Support local artists by puchasing CDs, books, videos. Please discourage illegal copying.

Andy

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  3:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Musicians actually profiting from their albums is another recent innovation in the music business.

Some decades ago, I saw Willie Nelson in concert, and he told the audience "Don't buy any of my albums. I never made a dime off of any of those albums. Come see me in concert."

These days, of course, many musicians put out their own CDs, and small record companies often offer better splits than the big boys. So for Hawaiian or other small-market music, I agree- pay for the music. But most pirating, and most of the concern, is from the big industry players.

That said, I'm afraid I have to admit that I have never pirated any music whatsoever. But that is partially because I am computer illiterate- I've never downloaded a song, either...

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  7:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when she was a bigg pop star, Linda Ronstadt told me the same thing that Willie told his audience. In the day, the "suits" took all the money made off records, so the artist could only make money by touring. I'm not so sure abot today, when artists produce their own CD's and promote them on line and at their concerts.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000