Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 20 Top Guitarists nominated by their peers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  01:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From KITV in Honolulu:

http://www.kitv.com/r-slideshow/29873132/detail.html

1. Not one woman on the list.
2. Two women are mentioned in Rolliing Stone's top 100 list. Joan Jett and (don't kill the messenger) Joni Mitchell.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231
3. Makana is on neither list.
4. I really feel ignorant because I do not know so many of the names on the Rolling Stone list. Same way I felt when we took a recent visitor to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. I didn't know half of the people whose artifacts were in the museum. And by the way, Mick Jagger is smaller than Michael Jackson. His clothes look like they wouldn't fit a 10 year old girl.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  07:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks for sharing. Now I gotta go see where I ranked...

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  07:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's nothing to get upset about--those things are never good for much more than starting discussions (or arguments). In the case of Rolling Stone, the rock-culture bias (look at their "panel of top guitarists and other experts") means massive ignorance (or merely ignoring) of players outside that tradition. The highest that any non-rock/blues player ranks is Les Paul at #18, with Chet at #21. No Django. No Charlie Christian. Not even any of the post-Sixties jazz guys who were rock-influenced. So this is just more rock-culture foolery, and the lack of women is partly a function of that boy's-club atmosphere (though the low visibility of women in the pro guitar world in general is a recurring topic of debate).
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  07:28:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should have included Bonnie Raitt, a hot slide player, along with Ry Cooder, who taught Kieth Richards how to do it. I gave up on Rolling Stone about 5 years ago, btw.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  07:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

They should have included Bonnie Raitt, a hot slide player,....

Boy, Amen to that, brother!! Ry Cooder is listed #8 on the Rolling Stones Top 100 list.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 12/02/2011 07:54:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  08:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely should have included Bonnie Raitt! There really are not too many women, in rock or blues, either, who, by popular opinion, are considered "top". It may be the same kind of things that affect why women do or do not play slack key.

Yes, definitely all rock & roll centered guitar players, or those earlier ones who affected it. I think Led ought to be on any list of superb guitar players. Any kine.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  05:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just shows that folks don't know what they don't know. I've stunned folks with my ignorance of "pop" and rock music. Once I challenged a friend to name rock groups, I'd name Bluegrass and Oldtime groups. I won. No fair, he wasn't a picker.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  06:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie Raitt IS on the Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitarist List - she is #89. Only other woman is (don't shoot the messenger ) Joni Mitchell at #75 , not Joan Jett. Yes, and I think Ledward Kaʻapana can play circles around just about anyone on that list.
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These things show how many folk is between there lips! at my age I don't like rock regga hip hop ect I just want to sit in my OLD chair and play slack key and mellow out> A littly poy some fresh fish and a large glass of rum and I'm in hog heaven

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2011 :  8:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see even forgot the word Taste oh well it's the holidays

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  04:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Claudia - e kala mai. I do not know where the heck I saw Joan Jett's name. On accounta I don't even know who the heck Joan Jett is.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  06:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s best to take all such lists with a pinch of salt. They’re usually what the readers of a particular magazine happen to vote for. They can only vote for people they’ve heard, or at least heard OF. Personally I believe that Martin Simpson can play circles round anyone on the Rolling Stone list, (to which everyone will go ‘Eh? Who?’).

Before I learned that Hawaiian music existed (which is only about, what six years ago) if someone had mentioned Led Kapaana to me I would have had the same blank look.

I think Joni Mitchell is a fine guitar player, but I’ve always thought she suffered from an exaggerated sense of her own self importance. Lead Singer Disease. Very common, unfortunately.

There are some excellent female guitar players – ones I’ve seen personally include Jennifer Batten, Muriel Anderson, and Julie Ellison. And if you’ve ever seen Rodrigo y Gabriela – well Gabriella is extraordinary. There’s no reason why women can’t take up the guitar, it’s just that very few of them seem to want to. Lots who want to be The Singer, hardly any who want to be The Guitarist.

Mick Jagger is supposedly 5’10. He is however very lithe and athletic – his father was a Physical Education teacher and he’s always kept himself fit. When he was growing up in the UK it was during World War II and during the war (and for many years after) food was rationed. A lot of guys from his generation in the UK aren’t physically big, which I believe is at least partly due to this.
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  10:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see Uncle Chet made the list and Bruddah Ry. And a lot of other great players I listen to.

I want to add something about Mike Jagger. At the Grammy show they had one performance in the center stage area with over 20 people on stage and bikes and skateboards going all around and a lot more. It was distracting form the music. Right now I can't even remember what band it was playing.

Then they brought out Mike Jagger. By himself...small as he is....with only one guy he filled all three of the stages by himself with only one microphone. He had everyone's attention and a standing ovation. For me he did a wonderful job. He has my vote as a performer for sure.

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2011 :  5:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The voters were an impressive lot:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123

THE VOTERS: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr., Billy Corgan, Steve Cropper, Dave Davies (The Kinks), Anthony DeCurtis (Contributing editor, Rolling Stone), Tom DeLonge (Blink-182), Rick Derringer, Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars), Elliot Easton (The Cars), Melissa Etheridge, Don Felder (The Eagles), David Fricke (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), Peter Guralnick (Author), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes), Warren Haynes (The Allman Brothers Band), Brian Hiatt (Senior writer, Rolling Stone), David Hidalgo (Los Lobos), Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Lenny Kravitz, Robby Krieger (The Doors), Jon Landau (Manager), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Nils Lofgren (The E Street Band), Mick Mars (Mötley Crüe), Doug Martsch (Built to Spill), J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr.), Brian May, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Roger McGuinn (The Byrds), Scotty Moore, Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Tom Morello, Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brendan O’Brien (Producer), Joe Perry, Vernon Reid (Living Colour), Robbie Robertson, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes), Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Marnie Stern, Stephen Stills, Andy Summers, Mick Taylor, Susan Tedeschi, Vieux Farka Touré, Derek Trucks, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Walsh, Nancy Wilson (Heart)

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  4:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you saw the clothing outfits of Mick Jagger that are in the museum part of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame & Museum, it looks like Mick has about a 28" waist...at least back in the days when these outfits were worn. I'd say maybe a 32" inseam. Now that he is older, maybe he has a 30" waist, the porker!

I hope someday you guys can come to Cleveland and take in that museum. You'd be amazed and tickled at some of the stuff in there. Boy talk about a blast from the past. And they have guitars from all kinds of people.

And don't be afraid of the Bootsie Collins exhibit. He's the braddah from another planet.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  01:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I'm a bit taller than him and I'm a 32 waist, and similar leg. When I was in my 20s I was a 30 waist as well. I don't think it's particularly thin. Looking round the office where I work, I'd say I was fairly average. I certainly don't think I resemble a 10 year old girl! Shabby, bald middle aged man would be a fairer description.

I'd love to go to visit the American Cleveland one day (I've been to the one in the North East of England, but it's hardly the same thing!) - I've been to various Hard Rock Cafes on my travels, including two 'Vaults', and I'm still absolutely fascinated by musical memorabilia of all kinds, and especially guitars.

Mr Bootsy Collins is someone I hold in very high regard. His sense of fashion is perhaps rather ostentatious, but I was a small kid in the 70s and in the 70s in the UK, all our pop musicians seemed to be entirely made out of glitter and feather boas - Bootsy looks just like one of those guys. And his bass playing is absolutely brilliant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000