Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mark "Kailana" Nelson in Issue 25 of...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ukulele Player Magazine. On page 12, Mark's slack key ukulele CD is featured in an article. Ukulele Player Magazine is a free downloadable publication available only online. Mickey McGuire of Tricorn Communications in Columbus is the publisher and writer.

http://www.tricornpublications.com/issue25.pdf

You can contact Mickey at the bottom of this page:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/uke_player.htm

He's always searching for artists, gear and other ukulele related content. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  02:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the split with Aloha Camp, Mark seems to have left this site behind.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  6:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I hear, the parting was not amicable. Can't say I blame him...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  09:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The parting was most definitly not amicable. I was there. Just got a Xmas card from him and Annie, so he's out and about. The last time I talked with him, he said that he had to gig a lot to make up for the loss of Aloha Camp for him. btw, I don't know any details of why and how, so don't ask me.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  9:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's too bad. Mark's music is da kine. The details of the split are not important. Dat braddah can sure play mean slack. Keaka, if you have means to contact Mark let him know the Patch still welcomes and embraces him. Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  10:31:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that! I love Mark and miss him.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2011 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.

Mark has brought knowledge, humor, and much aloha to our website.

He is missed sorely.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

walterotter
Aloha

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  11:03:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ta for the link Ric wonderful publication, Bill Tapia article is a cracking read and so many gems to find in the magazine, will share my uke buddies here in the southern shires who will be interested in listing our jam session here in Southampton, England I expect.

Mark Nelson's tutorials remain a keystone of my development on the uke, he's given me a boost of confidence to play live, fall over, pick myself up again and play. Just before Christmas I played couple of pieces from Mark's latest the slack key uke buke which to me is a gem of a work in a gathering of 'proper musicians' who loved the slack key style on the ukea and wondered about the tuning.

On Christmas Day I thought I'd pulled a beautiful trick on my girlfriend and wrapped her up a mandolin in big box for her to unwrap, she went one better behind the sofa was a Ridgefield acoustic guitar crafted from wood rather than ply, ebony inlays made by a luthier in Vietnam.

I have a birthday coming up in January top of wish list now is Mark Nelson's slack key guitar tuturial and Daniel Ho's slack key guitar tutorial. I've been playing Daniel Ho and Herb Ohta Jrs. uke tutorial book two for a bit now, i'm very much on a learning curve, playing for fun learning all the time trying to make the jump from ok in a quiet room to handling being able to play on a stage. I dunno how real musicians remember all them notes and how you lose the nerves to play live?

an attempt at Herb Ohta's Hawaiin Sky
http://youtu.be/iFwmk9b4XXA

may Christmas have been as kind to you all as it has been to me

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by ricdoug
http://www.tricornpublications.com/issue25.pdf

'the lights in the sky are stars . . .'
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2011 :  9:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoy Mark's books and music a lot. I'm getting into The Uke Buke right now- it's a fun and easy way for slack key guitarists to learn ukulele. I learned several "new" uke songs over the Christmas weekend, even though I have only one month of experience on the ukulele. Mark will be at the Hodgepodge Hawaiian Grill in Eugene, Oregon on January 20th, 2012 from 6-8 PM.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2011 :  03:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If ya'll notice on the past few Mele Monday lists, there have been videos of Mark teaching 'ukulele. It appears to me that he is teaching somehow via these videos.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 12/27/2011 03:36:45 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000