Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 What up?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  4:18:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last week end I went to a multi culture holiday gathering there were aleast 59 people there. Songs were song in english and hawiian and fiji, there was a abundence of food from most cultures which I found wonderfull the only problem was! An hawiian lady! I expresed an interest in learning the language and had been studing Hana and slack key for a couple years. Her responce was that (haloes) could now learn hawiian and that we had stolen there islands and culture!! I was stuned this lady had to be atleast mid 60'th meaning that the hawiian people Voted to become a state in 1953, and that she lived in my culture and if was so concered in her birth culture WHY was she here?? And isn't coping the greates form of Flateraty! I'm from the south USA. and find blue grass depressing. And the music from the island so beautifull uplifting and inspiring. I have tryed this week to absorbe this and have found that I really don't understand where she was coming form I spent over 6 years defending and losing part of my body and sole for this way of life and would gladly do it again. Why live here if one has this type of thoughts about us. Rodney King said ( why can't we all get along) Love and potery is what makes life worth living. Peace on earth and good will to everyone fred

fred davis

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe you shouldn't judge the situation by just one person. Here on the mainland (Santa Cruz California), we have Native Hawaiians teaching Hawaiian language classes to any and all who sign up for them. Take heart.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  7:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, most folks I've encountered, if they really understand their culture, are willing to share with any who show an honest appreciation. The "stingy" ones usually don't have much to share. It's a sort of public service they do to let us know who to avoid.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  04:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It takes a lot of forgiveness to set aside the wrongs perpetrated against your culture. If someone cant let it go then you just have to understand that the feelings run deep sometimes.

I can also predict how she would feel about haoles using Hawaiian middle names. I bet she would go ballistic. I would not want to be in her presence for that one.
In reality she is the one who is suffering over the issue, not you really--except momentarily, but would she be wrong if she can not find forgiveness?

Understanding is what you could take away from the encounter.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2011 :  1:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo to all who responded. I was just a little suprised especaly do to where we were. As stated here most are very kind. I once played Manuela Boy for several groups until an old hawiian lady explaned the meaning still I think it's a lovely song and one bitter person will not channge my mind about the music I love Happy Holidays to everyone fred

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  02:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see both sides of this. As a musician, I’m very much of the opinion that I will play any music that I want to.

But as someone who’s fundamentally a folk musician, I can understand how the music isn’t just another genre, something nice to listen to, it’s something that you feel belongs to you – part of your cultural heritage, and something you perhaps have a deep connection to.

There’s a well known American guitarist who’s released instructional material on how to play ‘celtic’. Now this man is a fine musician, at American stuff. - but his way of playing the tunes grates somewhat. It doesn’t sound right. It sounds American. People in America will learn stuff from him and think they know all about ‘celtic’ music. I wish he wouldn’t do this.

I think it’s all about your approach. Nobody from other cultures (including Hawaii) has minded me having a try at some of their music. Except once on the Isle of Skye, but that’s another story.

But I’m also well aware that they don’t have to like it, or approve of the idea.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  02:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred, when you research deeper into the whole nasty story of what white people did to Hawaiians and Hawai'i itself,you might understand a bit more on why that frustration and anger might come out. It is a sad story and still has no ending.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  03:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again thanks for the responses! Yes I also have found musicians a little difficult to understand? When I did bicycle and running and other sports there was always a few who talked the talk but cound't walk the walk but soon after the start there ability was seen. I have try to study the Hawiian culture for several years and yes USA did some tarible things but that was then and now is now! I didn't have anything to do with it and feel that people that hold these feelings are doing the same to me. Trying to learn there culture language and music shows respect for them! If they don't like this culture go BACK from where you came! The men she was with were very plesent and frendly and we were at a church gathering with multi cultures, and feel that this was just a hateful women exercising what she thought was political venom. All of us in the world have faced adversions and isn't copying the greatest form of flatery. The fact that a lot of us are interested in Hawiian culture offers those from the islands a greater venue in order to show us there culture Most Hawiians practice Hana. I feel proud when others play DIXIE

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2011 :  06:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History is full of unpleasant events. Fortunately, there are many positive things to contemplate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000