Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ka Lupe 'Ula (The Red Kite)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2011 :  3:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mele Kalikimaka to all!

I've been studying Keola Beamer's mele called Ka Lupe 'Ula or The Red Kite from his education site. Keola has excellent tab and a fine mp3 example of the song on the site so the learning is going well. I'm suprised to find (or not find, really) any examples of anyone else playing this lovely tune on either You Tube or other media. Am I missing something? Is this an obscure mele or am I just not looking in the right places? It's always inspiring to hear others' renditions.

Mahalo.

Terry
Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Edited by - TerryLiberty on 12/25/2011 3:19:15 PM

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2011 :  9:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terry,
Thanks for the tip of where to find this song. It is a beautiful song. I will check Keola's site and see if I can learn this song.
J

Judy
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2011 :  05:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Judy:

It is beautiful, isn't it? I fell for it the first time I heard it. The tab and MP3 are in the "Beginner's Realm" part of Keola's instructional site. I think it cost me $10.00 or so to get a password but the material I found in there was very helpful and well worth the price. I especially like Keola's stress on the spiritual and aesthetic aspects of ki ho 'alu.

By the way, I read your bio and it looks like we're Pacific NW neighbors. Have you been to one of Neej's kanikapilas yet? They're wonderful gatherings. I only wish I could get up to Bellevue for them more often.

Happy picking!

Terry
Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Edited by - TerryLiberty on 12/30/2011 05:10:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly