Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Don Kauli`a - Freehand (CD)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  12:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Don Kauli`a
Freehand
Manawa Records 2001

Many slack key recording artists strive to develop their own styles while remaining true to the artform. On this topic, in the liner notes, Don gives thanks to:
  • Pops Gabby Pahinui for his words of wisdom in 1979 "play from the heart".
  • Uncle Fred Punahoa in Hilo '80, "create your own style".
  • Aunty Alice Namakelua '76, "know your culture."
  • Uncle Leonard Kwan, Sr. "play with feel, not tacky".
I believe that Don has successfully heeded the advice of the kupuna with this recording. The all instrumental album features 8 originals and 3 covers (Andy Iona, Leonard Kwan, Sr., Palani Vaughn). From mimicking whales, though harmonics in "Da Whale Song" to Bossa Nova-influenced (sounds like to me) "Bikini", Don presents the listener with traditional slack key, some contemporary slack key originals and unique Kauli`a stylings on traditional standards.

Don makes his guitar speak. Every song was recorded without any effects. Manawa Records's Chance Gardner notes, "The reverb you hear is natural and the fade-outs are from Don's hands." Very talented hands indeed… hence the name, Freehand.

Andy

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  09:02:34 AM  Show Profile
I second that.

This was the first album of Don's that we could get our hands on, and we were blown away. I think he gets a chance to do on the CD pieces that he can't do live at, say, the Blue Marlin, because of the setting. Wonderful stuff, and with his own true signature.

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  1:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
You can buy Don's CD online at Maui Music.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  10:48:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
ah shucks, thanks you guys...gal, I'm flattered. I just pluck from the guts...aloha and mahalo for your kind comments.

Don 'Freehand' Kauli'a

you can check out other websites for cd purchases if not at Borders in the Hawaiian Islands...

www.mele.com
www.puresoundCd.com

bye, don

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  12:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Don, www.mele.com was the first place I looked but it's not listed there. (You need to lean on Aunty Maria a little!)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Sorry Craig...Malia received only my Xmas Cd's...check with Chance at www.puresoundCd.com

He's the manufacturer...I don't know where it's being distributed.

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  4:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
This is from the Honolulu Advertiser, Islands Sounds

"FREEHAND" by Don Kauli'a, Manawa Records DC 01

Don Kauli'a is a Maui-based slack-key stylist featured on his first solo instrumental CD. Clearly, he has an affinity for ki ho'alu. His name may be unfamiliar to O'ahu audiences, but those on the Valley Island will know him from several groups with whom he frequently performs.

Simplicity is what works for him here. Under the guidance of producer Chance Gardner, Kauli'a glides over a collection of eight originals and three covers, imparting a precise and personal stamp.

He creatively generates a syncopation of his own on the classic "'Opihi Moe Moe," mimics the chimes of whales on "Da Whale Song," suggests the chugging locomotive on "Ka'aahi Kahului," and radiates a spiritual mood on a family hymn, "E Kolu Mea Nui."

Kauli'a adds a romantic, restful country flavor on "Makaha Moon," and "Bikini," written by Kauli'a on a Florida tour, sounds less Hawaiian and more Spanish, with a reason: The composition honors the vaqueros who introduced the guitar to Hawai'i.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000