Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 My first original ki ho'alu composition to share
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 2 years ago 2 members of the Albino Hawaiian tribe from Ohio wrote my good buddy & I an original Hawaiian lyric song named "Ku'u Aina" As a token of my appreciation I attempted to compose my very first song. I did but since that time had forgotten maybe 50% of it. Well over the weekend I filled in the gaps. Sunday morning Derek "Ho'okani" Higa & I collaborated and recorded "Ho'olea Slack Key" for those albino Hawaiian from Ohio Paul & Wanda Certo. My first original so please be gentle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhzqHWnTaM

Note: Monday morning it was confirmed that "Ho'olea Slack Key" is going to be used as part of the sound bed in a narrative of the Western Cowboys at the Oklahoma City Museum. There's a segment honoring the Hawaiian Paniola and "Hawaiian Cowboy"(Aukahi Pride's rendition) and "Ho'ole'a Slack Key" will be the music in the background behind the narration. The opportunity to provide ki ho'alu based on the old traditional style to represent the Paniola could not be passed up. If not for the Paniola there would be no slack key, right? Well this is what prompted finishing Paul & Wanda's mele. I hope I did right by the Paniola BTW no monetary compensation just screen credits......fine by me

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  5:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool!
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  5:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, thanks so much again for sharing your music- I really enjoy the new song- very nahenahe. It's wonderful to see that you are writing original stuff and doing soundtrack work. Keep up the good work- I'm looking forward to hearing more of your original compositions!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2012 :  6:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Duke,

I love the tune and the story behind it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  01:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice piece!

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  02:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I had my box of kleenex, then another box and another box. I love my brother Duke, not just because of this beautiful music, but for the loving heart that caused this piece to be written. Mahalo piha my brother.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  03:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Duke:

Great piece of music, so well performed and done with a true spirit of Aloha. Nothing else can be asked of any slack key player! So glad you shared it with us. So glad you participate here at T-patch.

Mahalo.

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  03:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you immensely everyone for the great reviews!!!

Wanda, what can I say? You & Paul have been an inspiration musically as well as on a personal level. You've become ohana. You guys figured out the aloha spirit from 4000 miles outside of Hawaii & could definitely teach some plastic Hawaiians the true meaning of it.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  03:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh, Duke! Sounds like vacation!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  07:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nahi nahi, Duke! Loved the pictures, too!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  09:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Winnahs! (Nice to see so many TP'ers in the photos, too.)

Duke, your perspective on how the aloha spirit can exist in those without Hawaiian bloodlines is refreshing. While many of us understand the horrible things that have been done by non-Hawaiians unto Hawaiians, in the name of some twisted version of "progress" (usually into somebody's pockets), it does not help anyone heal when bitter bile is still spewed in the present day.

When our friend and fellow musical traveler, Susy, left this earth last fall, my sweet Momi said she taught us: "...you don't need to be born or raised in Hawai`i, or have Hawaiian lineage, to show and share aloha." I consider myself very fortunate to be surrounded by people like that, of all different bloodlines and backgrounds.

It's all about who you are and what you do, here and now, and not about who slept with who in the time before you were born.

Mahalo, Duke, for allowing that aloha to be an integral part of your beautiful composition.
Go to Top of Page

haolebrownie
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  4:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome playing. Really neat that it is being used by the museum too.

Kī Hōʻalu and ʻUkulele Soul
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Love the song Duke, and congratulations on the Museum soundtrack, that is too cool. Bet you never imagined your Kiho'alu would be playing in a museum in Oklahoma. No doubt that sound will resonate with some folks visiting the exhibit and send them on that life long journey many of us have taken. Mahalo for sharing.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  02:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loooooooooove this slack key composition, Duke, what a marvelous job you have done! And I love your dedication of the mele to the "albino Hawaiian clan of Ohio.... absent of Hawaiian koko, who have figured out the aloha spirit from 4,000 miles away." That made me cry. Its a beautiful song. Write more! You have the gift!
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  09:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E Duke,
Just one word--beautiful!
Mahalo
Allen
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2012 :  8:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kory & Jack mahalo for the kind words, bummers we only see each other in January.

Allen,Terry, Andy, Chris, Ben & Matt I really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment with words of encouragement. It's very inspirational to me.

Joe,first of all welcome to Taropatch. Hope you visit often. I too reside in Honolulu. Check out the kanikapila section on Taropatch & you'll find the details for a kanikapila happening this Sunday @ the Bishop Museum.

Lee you're a good bruddah that's been singing my praises for years. I sincerely appreciate it. Eh brah if my ki ho'alu at the OKC Museum hooks anyone on slack key that would be a huge bonus.

Claudia & Gregg, my parents instilled the sentiment in me that race doesn't matter. Good people are good people regardless of ethnicity. Contrary to popular belief among some clueless locals, the Hawaiian never cornered the market on the "Aloha Spirit" or being pono. I've met plenty people here on TP & in person from the mainland who like the Certos have figured out how to carry aloha in their hearts. I've said it here & elsewhere that folks from the continental U.S. are often way more passionate about Hawaiiana than local folks here in Hawaii. Kudos to you all but shameful for many of us here who take it for granted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000