Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack key puzzler anyone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  12:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Ozzie's homepage.
The background tab on homepage (with Ho'ihi)...(appears to be in C Mauna Loa--CGEGAE)...at least that's my first "guesstimate"...seems to have the patterns of the first 2 Ozzie tab/tunes I have in this tuning..."Ku'u Kika Kahiko", (which seems close, for awhile) and "Ki Ho Alu" (which doesn't) , but neither seem to be a one-on-one match.

WHAT IS THE TAB IN THE BACKGROUND?
I've checked on Ku'u Kika Kahiko (some patterns match...but doesn't continue--as best as you can read through the clutter!)

ANYONE care to guess, or better yet, actually KNOW?
(I do NOT know the answer-- so this isn't exactly like the Car Guys, who know their answers!!)

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/16/2012 12:57:45 PM

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  3:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed that same tab a while back, and then I rewrote it in my notebook so I could figure out what song it was. To me, it looks (and sounds)like an alternate version of "Ku'u Kika Kahiko (My Old Guitar)" in C Mauna Loa, but I'm not sure. I bet Duke knows...
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2012 :  10:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Gordon & Matt,

Ku'u Kika Kahiko was composed in the C6th Mauna Loa tuning. However, when it was recorded it was done so 1/2 step lower in pitch. I asked Oz why expecting a deep reasoning but he said "Nope I just tuned it by ear" LOL I guess those were the days before electronic tuners.

"Gabby's Kiho'alu" Is in C6th Mauna Loa. Here's Zach playing it but he's tuned down 1/2 step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5GNFaBu8QE&feature=plcp

"Ho'ihi" The title track of Ozzie's latest CD was composed & recorded in C6th Mauna Loa. Oz told me it is only the 2nd song he has composed in C6th. Ku'u Kika Kahiko being the other. An interesting note on "Ho'ihi" is that it was totally improvised in one take. Ozzie & Darin Leong tried another take but it wasn't as good as the first try so they kept the first one. Oz told me if he wanted to play it again note for note he'd have to go learn it.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?

Edited by - sirduke58 on 07/17/2012 07:40:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2012 :  07:35:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The tabs in the background of Ozzie's homepage on his website is of "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" but it's not in chronological order. For instance under this........

You may download one free tab by clicking
on the image on the left. This is a printable
PDF file of Sonny Chillingworth's Liloa's Mele
(Grandson's Lullabye). The tab is copyright
2009, by Ozzie Kotani.

Ozzie is currently working on a book of
Hawaiian Slack Key tablature with
an accompanying CD. As we get closer to
publication, more information will be
posted on this page.

Measures #15 through #24 of Ku'u Kika Kahiko

The column furthest right (3rd column)shows measures #1 through #14. Then beneath it is measures #1 through #10

You guessed right Gordon. It's just that for the background they used a tiled format.

Edited by - sirduke58 on 07/17/2012 11:25:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2012 :  7:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Duke! By the way, any word from Ozzie when his "Guitar Playing Hawaiian Syle Vol. 2" DVD will be re-released??
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  04:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Good detective work Duke and Matt.
I'd considered the tab was maybe just mixed up for layout...but decided to use my research crew here at Taropatch!

I find playing these pieces presents some difficulty with getting the thumb to accurately hit the high G, of the alternating bass notes.
...but probably just need to practice.
it helps to have a couple to do in the same tuning, and shift the right hand, use P,I,M. I like the violin like intervals on the 2 high strings, but still doesn't necessarily make it any easier overall.

Also, Ho' ihi recording was not available on Ozzie's site the other day...but will snoop around, or ask my detective agency where, but would rather go to Ozzie's site that Amazon.
"Lazy Sherlock"

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 07/19/2012 04:20:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  6:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have the same problem with the C6 Mauna Loa tuning- it's hard for my thumb to alternate between the 6th and the 3rd string. So I decided to tape up the 4th string pair on my 12-string for a while to retrain my thumb! Crazy idea- but finally I just decided to retune the 4th string pair down to C (CGCGAE)and alternate between the 6th and 4th string pairs for the I chord and the 5th and 4th (or 3rd) string pairs for the V chord.I like this tuning, even if it's not the same as Gabby's C6. It's fun to make up "new" tunings and new tunes to go with them.
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  10:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my nylon permanently tuned to C6th Maunaloa. For those who don't know, nylons handle the C tunings awesomely. Not even a hint of buzzing. As a matter of fact it goes down to Bb with no issues at all!!

Anyway,anything I play in the key of C I prefer to do so in C6th Maunaloa. Drop C don't even cut it for me & I totally prefer the pa'ani possibilities in C6th over Drop C. Only drawback is that you'll need an extra guitar to regularly play C6th. Tuning back & forth between C6th & any other tuning is not practical. Whereas going between Taropatch & Drop C with a capo you can follow any key.

If you want to get proficient with incorporating the 3rd string into your alternating bass pattern in C6th study Gabby's music. He plays a lot of songs in C6th or Bb Maunaloa. Hula O Makee, Makee Ailana, Royal Hawaiian Hotel, Waialae, Hi'ilawe, Waikiki Hula, Pu'u anahulu & Ipo Lei Manu just to name a few.I play all those plus Nani Waialeale, Na Makani Eha, Koke'e, Miloli'i in C6th Maunaloa. Dennis Kamakahi & George Kuo also use C6th Maunaloa a lot.

Cyril's/Atta's C is only one string away from C6th. I'm sure it's not much of a stretch to convert Cyril's material to C6th. I also would believe that Cyril uses the 3rd string in his alternating bass patterns too. There are many YouTubes of Cyril.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2154 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  10:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dennis Kamakahi was in Seattle a few years ago and while tuning from Taropatch to C Mauna Loa, he broke the 4th (D) string. He played his whole set without it! To get the right thumb to get the right alternating pattern just takes time- 20 minutes a day for 3 weeks should do it.
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2012 :  8:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wish I could trust that thumstruck is right. I despair of every getting my thumb to hit 3 rather than 4 consistently, so maybe Dennis strategy of simply breaking the string is the only thing left for me to do. Seriously I don't like to practice, and that may be the problem, but I have tried hard to retrain my thumb for C Mauna Loa and I still keep getting a lousy E during the V chords. I am betting that the grove for 54645464 is so deep in my brain that it will never come out. Ah to be young like Zach!
Jim Garson

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this C stuff...
maybe we should start a new post, COMPILE, and state for review (both for We the old, (the short memory gang), and for those new folks we try to impress with our psycho-babble...
could cover most of the more common C tunings.
Atta's, Cyril's, Dropped C, C Mauna Loa, etc.
I'd use the post and print it and put it on my wall!

And I remember Keola using C, G, C, G, A, D (C 6/9?), for "Ku'u Morning Dew",
a hypnotic version.
Someone used to have that tab posted somewhere, (had to straighten out a couple of minor errors-but mostly there) -- it's only lost in my stacks, but NEVER throw anything away! Which when you make safety copies of everything means I needed a 2nd house! So I built a little grass shack in back, and didn't tell the city.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On second thoughts, from my little grass shack...
there's so much already out there, just takes a SMALL amount of research!
I'm taking this C tuning request to a new post. It will be from Section IV of George Winston's wonderful info on a Dancing Cat site, Slack Key Info Book/Summary of Recorded Tunings.
I just have trouble remembering it all!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2012 :  6:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garson

I wish I could trust that thumstruck is right. I despair of every getting my thumb to hit 3 rather than 4 consistently, so maybe Dennis strategy of simply breaking the string is the only thing left for me to do. Seriously I don't like to practice, and that may be the problem, but I have tried hard to retrain my thumb for C Mauna Loa and I still keep getting a lousy E during the V chords. I am betting that the grove for 54645464 is so deep in my brain that it will never come out. Ah to be young like Zach!
Jim Garson

Trust thumbs. He seldom errs. I was there, too, and can verify that Uncle Dennis did break his 4th string and carried on.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000