Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Lyrics to I Lanikai by Nancy Gustafsson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hulatutu
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  10:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha! I am searching for lyrics to a beautiful song, called "I Lanikai". There are 2 versions of this song. So far, this is what I know:
The song, words and music, was written in 1984 by Nancy Gustafsson. Music lyrics site, Huapala.org has the lyrics: 2 verses in Hawaiian and the same 2 verses translated in English.
In 1991, Ledward Kaapana and The NewIKona put the song, "I Lanikai" on their album "Nahenahe". It is the same 2 verses in Hawaiian, and their English tranlations.
In 1998, Darren Benitez put the song on his album, "Mother Of The Sea". It is titled "Lanikai", has a new Hawaiian language verse as an intro, the same 2 original Nancy Gustoffsen verses, and 2 additional Hawaiian language verses, with no English translation of any of the song. I am becoming obsessed, apparently, with trying to find the version that is on Darren Benitez' album. The song is so lovely, his voice is so reminiscent of Dennis Pavao, who's music I cannot get enough of. If anyone knows of the song, or could lead me in a fruitful direction to find the Darren Benitez version, (English translations would be a huge bonus!) I would be most grateful. Mahalo nui loa, Denise Markowitz

Denise Markowitz

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  10:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It is indeed, a beautiful song, and on my list as "must learn". I have only heard the I Kona version and that is good enough.

Of course it is one of those songs like "I Kona" itself that gives me a chance to offend everybody with my attempts at falsetto!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  10:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will get back to you later today, if possible. I am working on it for you, Denise.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  1:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise -- here is the response, straight from Darren Benitez:

Aloha, The Hawaiian verses or the Ka'i and the Ho'i was written by Kumu Hula, Uncle Johnny Lum Ho for a perfomance in the Merrie Monarch Festival,

Kai:
Ahe nani I kala'i, O Lanikai The beautiful shores of Lanikai
ahe wai, olu olu, lana malie The calm n cool waters
me ka ua kilihune, mai nei with the drizzling rains
ua pulu ika ili o ku'uipo gently falling on my sweetheart
ua pulu ika ili o ku'uipo gently falling on my sweetheart

Ho'i:
Puana ka inoa, i Lanikai Let it be told, the name Lanikai
kai hawanawana the whispering shores
me ke'one hinuhinu with it's shinning sands
noho ana ika la'i siting on the shore
a pa'ana ka makani as the breezes blow
ka holunape o ka lau the coconut palms
oka niu, I lanikai swaying in the winds of Lanikai
ha'awi au i kou, aloha ia oe I gave my love, away to you
I lanikai at Lanikai

I hope you enjoy it,

Mekealoha pumehana, Iesu pu
aloha,
Darren Benitez.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  2:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been to a few Merrie Monarchs and I have to say, Johnnie Lum Ho's hula kahiko has been the highlight every time.
Go to Top of Page

hulatutu
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  3:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda, I am at a loss for any other words to use except Thank You! I also sent a Facebook message to Derrick once I saw that Norman had him on his friends list. I picked this song to do a seated hula for Norman's birthday on Saturday. Faith Ako was gracious enough to learn the IKona version for the occasion! I simply could not come up with the version that Derrick played, and I did not want to try to dance it unless I had the correct translation and knew where the extra lyrics had come from. Many, Many thanks for your "network of knowledge", and for your lightning fast response!
I will send Derrick a Mahalo on Facebook, but If you run across him, please extend my Aloha to him also!
Me ke aloha, mahalo nui loa, Denise

Denise Markowitz
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  12:04:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have extending your thanks to him. But please, when you write and tell him thank you, his name is Darren. If you look on Facebook, you will see that Mark Yamanaka responded to that post, as well. I saw the comment that Norm posted on facebook about your hula. It was a most beautiful and loving comment and I felt all warm and mushy inside! Happy belated birthday, Norm! You can't take the hula out of the girl, right, Denise? Proud of you for still dancing. That's what Aunty Mapu told us. Dance any way you can!

I share the opinion that YpoChris has about Johnny Lum Ho's Halau O Ka Ua Kanilehua.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hulatutu
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  06:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wanda, thank you so much for noticing my oversite on Darren's name. I sent him a Facebook apology and also Facebook'd a mahalo to both Darren and Mark. I had just finished a conversation with my hula brother, Garrick, about the oopses with his name...Garrett, Derrick, Darrin...., I guess I was on name overload! The help from all three of you was amazing. The hula was very simple, as I have not been able to hula at all in over a year now. But that was my gift to Norman, a hula and a song about a place we both love so much. Many, many thanks to you for all your help!
Me ke aloha!
Mahalo nui!
Denise

Denise Markowitz
Go to Top of Page

makanaaloha
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  07:47:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha. Trying to find the correct lyrics to WAIULU. (AWAIAULU) I saw
a post not long ago asking about it and now I can't find that
post. In general the post said that every artist sings the line
"O ka ike ____ _____ _____ ona" differently. It's hard to
translate any versions. Ome says "ua ho'i ka`i" another says
"kula nahe kahi" and so on..
This is the third line of the hui which begins:
"E ke aloha maliu mai `oe"
My ten year old son is singing this at his siter's wedding in
October and he is trying to get it pono. Mahalo for your kōkua on this. Sorry I donʻt have info on "I Lanakai".

Puna
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2012 :  03:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by makanaaloha

Aloha. Trying to find the correct lyrics to WAIULU. (AWAIAULU) ... My ten year old son is singing this at his sister's wedding in October and he is trying to get it pono. Mahalo for your kōkua on this.

Puna, you will find any number of different versions of "Awaiaulu" both on recordings and in print. Who is to say whose is correct? This has been debated on this forum many times about many different songs: Who ultimately is the "authority" in what is largely an oral tradition?

I have heard this song sung differently by everyone from Hui Ohana to Willie K. to Maunalua. No two artists have ever performed it alike. There are lyrics on the internet and there are lyrics on the backs of album covers. These don't reconcile either.

At the end of the day, in the pursuit of "pono," all you can do is choose a version the source of which you can rely on with some authoritativeness and confidence (i.e. not necessarily a website). (I particularly like the version by Charles K.L. Davis on his "At Home" LP with translation by Jean Sullivan who was a noted authority on the language and mele craft.) Just know that whichever version your son ultimately performs, somebody who knows a different version will think he's singing it wrong just because he is singing it differently. And you kind of have to learn to live with that.

We are talking about one of the more sensuous Hawaiian mele here. So you might also reconsider the appropriateness of a ten-year-old singing this. I don't know what Hawaiian tradition says about this...

~ Bill
Go to Top of Page

Dee
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to know the complete lyrics to "Lanikai".
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  8:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As for Lanikai, my boyfriend lived there in the 70's. I never, ever forgot the beauty of the sunrises there, with the Mokulua islands not far away. When I hear this song, it makes me cry.....

Julie

Maybe I should have married him?????
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  8:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I am remembering the start of it as "Kau Mai I Luna...."
I that a different version than the one in question here?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2013 :  8:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this :

Kau Mai I luna, o ma healani
Ua hula kaua, i ke ona kea
Pukukui kaua, i ke ahi ahi
E 'uhene la a pili kaua I Lanikai

Aia ko'u mana'o I Lanikai
I Laila kaua, I nanea ai
I ka pa konane, a ka Mahina
Ha 'awi au I ko'u aloha ia oe I Lanikai

Some difficulty with the capitals, as my iPad is dummer than I thought....

Me ke aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000