Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 where is Ozzie's "Ho'ihi (Respect)" ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  09:39:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep checking from time to time...It's been perpetually "out of stock" his site...hopefully not OOP!

And while searching,
it appears Ozzie's "Taropatch Christmas" with Steve Sano is high priced (used) on Amazon, so would assume that is OOP too!?

Too many OOP's out there, although in this age there may be alternate ways to procure without paying $35-40...well guess Christmas tunes can wait for a couple months--still trying to get those tunes out of my brain.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/16/2013 10:02:42 AM

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  6:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ho`ihi will be available again by next week. It was out of stock but not out of print like Paka Ua, Omoide/Remembrance, and Taro Patch Christmas. My advice to all who record - don't trust anybody and work with a contract - don't let "friendship" and nice guys cloud your awareness and decisions and don't start recording until you see one. INSIST upon a contract. Pilau opportunism and lack of integrity clearly exist in the music business with the sole purpose of personal gain.
Thank you so much for the kind support over the years Kapila Kane - I appreciate it!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you have resolved some of the issues that have made your music & mana'o unavailable for so long Oz.

"Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style Vol II" is a must have for all intermediate level players who want to advance to the next level. Learn "Waikahe" a composition Oz wrote as an exercise piece to develop the usage of "slurs" This invaluable technique will yield great strides in making your ki ho'alu nahenahe. Ozzie's "Slur" techniques has made a huge difference in the sound of my ki ho'alu & I can't thank him enough. As far as I know, no one out there is teaching this technique. I also notice that a lot of the "elite" players out there do not incorporate this awesome technique. Go learn & develop it and you'll see what I'm raving about.

"Ho'ihi" is an awesome compilation of songs that does indeed pay tribute to the kiho'alu legends who paved the way. This is pure kiho'alu in the old traditional style, can't figure out how it slipped past the Hokus. I love how Ozzie used many different guitars to fit the pieces to the unique guitar voices.

Hey Oz is "Paka Ua" still caught up in the BS? If it is then it's a shameless & classless act on that exploiters part. I hope bachi catches up to that donkey one day soon
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  07:34:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm bringing my 000-28 Martin to Oahu so I can have some lessons from Ozzie. Time to get slackin'!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  3:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just great!
--just happened to check in on this old post, and there it was, word from the man himself, and HOPE! Mahalo Ozzie, very nice, and appears to be good news on "Ho'ihi".

Looking forward to when cd is in.
While I've collected a few of the tabs on several of these songs, (Well, several in Ozzie's volume II, "Guitar Playing Hawaiian style...in printable tab on the DVD.)

Plus a few more of these offered at workshops over the years with Ozzie... but still, really want the recordings--for pleasure of listening, AND for tackling some of the un-tabbed parts!
Yes, finally many of us really ARE breaking away from total tab addiction Sensei!
So, with experience, start to tackle the variations/parts not on the tab, that Ozzie plays, and (if God's will) perhaps some of our own!

"All in good time my pretty, all in good time!"

Believe it or not, we can break away from the tabs! Still, it's nice to have them when tackling a new favorite, a new tuning or something that dazzles, or mystifies our brains at first listen. When I first heard Ozzie's "Ki Ho Alu" cd, I was immensely overwhelmed when I first started trying to play them...now thanks to the wealth of teachings and materials, only humbled and SLIGHTLY overwhelmed--as we challenge ourselves to chase "beauty with the fingers!

ONE of the great things with Ozzie's teaching, whether Book I or other offerings, he builds technique, sometimes without you realizing, you get some of the jumper cables to and starter batter for songs and techniques you'll hear from old masters, and occasionally pick up tabs where he's transcribed the heart of a classic or vintage by a master.

And he even has beginner tabs for rank amateurs, which are good for anyone to revue basics, and help over-confident folks who need to step back and work on extreme basics- slowly, humbly, with greater accuracy.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/23/2013 9:57:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  2:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God, I must have been in a bad mood or really tired. Sorry for the rant! The main point was to work with a contract so you don't get things done to you later. Thanks for the kind support on my teaching Duke - you are doing great sharing clips and teaching. Ho`ihi was done to show we have an identity, a tradition, historical recordings, and what our roots are. I love the old style - and the new as well with so many great players out there contributing styles in different tunings. The sad thing is many don't get to hear traditional slack key - either on the radio or live - so they'll never know what they're missing. Luckily, they were still playing instrumentals when I started listening to Hawaiian radio!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  2:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was probably the beans you had for lunch.
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I forgot to add that Kapila Kane shares an important aspect of playing slack key that I did not address. He is sooo right in suggesting to get away from tabs and to feel comfortable "making it your own." I strongly suggest to my students to make changes in a piece - change vamps, add slides or other ornamentations, etc. Then, it will be the way YOU play it and no one else! Exploring and "noodling" are so important to find ideas, phrases, and vamps. I often use other players techniques but in a different context or even tuning. Examples are Raymond Kane's "delayed" slides, Sonny's syncopated bass line,and Keola Beamer's great bridges and chord voicings. I think it is better to memorize a piece and to wean yourself off reading tablature - that way, you can really focus on feeling and sound, techniques and ornamentations. Main thing is to have fun and to enjoy the activity though. Peter, had to be a combination of beans and my sleep apnea. Apologies again!

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

hawndoug
Aloha

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Ho`ihi available yet? I can't find it anywhere.

Mahalo, Doug
Go to Top of Page

Puluke
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2013 :  05:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears to be available on Ozzie's website. Orders are being taken…I assume that means it's in stock?

- Bruce
Go to Top of Page

brichm01
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2013 :  05:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Send brichm01 an AOL message  Send brichm01 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just received my CD of Ho'Ihi! Simply outstanding! Mahalo, Ozzie!
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2013 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did forget to mention I got mine in May,
and listen to it constantly...ask my wife!
Most are something we can figure out, and also ties in with the Vol. 2 video, and/or some tabs that have appeared at workshops over the year... or if no tab, most can be figured out, like one of from the Ray Kane video, in D wahine tuning, essentials are the same.

it is stuff "in the ball park" of what we can shoot for as players, before the Segovia gene kicks in.
Real accesible, even some nice D wahine and other variety in tunings.

I also like the many more folksy guitars played on some cuts, like what a paniolo would have used...and been happy.

Surely most cowboys and hippies use the more affordable Saddle/Beach guitars that can bang around on a horse, lay in the sun and rain on a white sandy beach, or jostle in a VW van.
They take a lickin', but, (with a little TLC and superglue) keep on tickin'.

If ya'll see any more fixer-upper guitars sticking up in the trash, I'm in.
Incidentally, I'll bet the paniolos didn't fuss with their nails as much we do.

Macho Up, Grub Out and Ride On.

Thanks Ozzie

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 06/13/2013 08:22:08 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000