Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A wee hapa-esque song from germany
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alasdair
Aloha

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  10:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha all,

It's been 12 years since i was last on the hawaiian islands.
What was initially a two-week vacation turned in to over a year on maui.. a residency at the pioneer inn, gigs at maui brews and a lot of picking on the beach.

I'm just back from a few weeks on the baltic soaking up the sun and kite-surfing, when all of a sudden this wee song comes to life.

Wait for the B-part and you'll hear the slack-key bubbling back to the surface.

mahalo for listening

The new song->
http://www.reverbnation.com/widget_code/html_widget/artist_2465654?widget_id=50&posted_by=artist_2465654&pwc

and a face to the music ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpoy1bYE1QY

ps. I only went to hawaii because an elderly hawaiian couple travelling europe heard me playing my own stuff in an Irish Pub Gig in Amsterdam (holland/coffee shops).. i was playing my usual open-tuned fingerpicking stuff..they remarked that it sounded like slackkey (which i'd never heard of before) and they subsequently sent me two cd's "slack key masters vol1 and a led kaapaana cd".. two weeks later i'd sold my car to buy a plane ticket to honolulu..

Maybe someone on here can remember a scotsman on maui with a guitar permanently attached (lol)
Had a weekly residency playing at the Pioneer Inn and also played frequently at the Maui Brews, Hard Rock Cafe and Pancho & Lefty's.

Mahalo from Germany

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  06:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool that it was the music that brought you to Hawai'i! Most people come for other reasons, then the music slowly grows on them...
Go to Top of Page

alasdair
Aloha

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2012 :  10:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi chris,

I'd been fingerpicking in open-tunings for about 15 years, it only made sense to go to where the music is.
Thankfully slackkey didn't orginate in wladiwostok (i'd have went there too though ;) )

Go to Top of Page

alasdair
Aloha

Germany
22 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2013 :  03:58:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Busy recording and thought i'd share this wee unfinished snippet.

You know you've got the slackkey bug when it slips its way unnoticed into absolutely everything you record & play... LOL
http://soundcloud.com/hooragood/mariachi-thing-demo

Edited by - alasdair on 03/19/2013 03:59:49 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000