Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Custom Martin 18's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Puluke
Aloha

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  12:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MyFavoriteGuitars.com has custom run Martin 000-18 and OM-18. Both are sitka/mahogany with 1 3/4" nut and scalloped bracing. I'd be interested in one or the other but it's impossible to play first in the store. On other forums some have sort of cticized their 5/16" bracing, saying that 1/4" would have been better. I don't really know about about these things. Any thoughts?

Thanks as always
Bruce

- Bruce

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  3:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OM is sort of the benchmark for fingerstyle guitars. ALmost every luthier makes an "OM" for fingerstyle players. the principle difference between the OM and OOO is the scale length; the OOO being 24.9 and the OM 25.4". Some people find that this slight difference makes the reach a little less. The standard OOO would have an 1 11/16 nut width, but you said they are both 1 3/4". I would not worry too much about the bracing size--basically Martin knows what they are doing, and Martins sound good. I doubt you would go wrong with either guitar. According the the Martin website the OM-18 is no longer made, so it might be cooler to have.
Have fun and Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The answer to the question opened up some questions in my mind about choosing a guitar. How does one tell or know which model is made for fingerpicking vs strumming?
I am ready for a new guitar and need to make a list for myself to mull over before I go guitar shopping. Right now I have a sustainable wood Martin and a Seagull. I am looking for a guitar that has more bass sound. I have always loved a deeper sounding guitar. But it needs to be the size I can hold and have the right action.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2012 :  09:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an interesting question. As I said, OMs are sort of the standard for fingerstyle guitars, but not all--for instance Taylor makes (or made) a Dan Crary model on the basic size and shape, which they call Concert. Crary is a flat picker of major renown, and this guitar is set up for flat picking with narrower string spacing than is comfortable for fingerstyle. The best way is to try them and see what works best for you. Make a note of the string spacing and nut width you like. Try different scale lengths and see if you feel a difference between say the 24.9" or the 25.4". These are again sort of standards, based on the Martin originals; other luthiers may vary them by a few tenths, and typical classical guitars (all made for fingerstyle) have 650mm scale length (25.59").
Have fun looking.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  8:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen
Mahalo for this information. It is very helpful.
Judy

Judy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000