Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitars for slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a dumb ( uninformed !) question here, but is there a particular type guitar that's suited/used for slack key ?
I've been a steel player since the mid 40s, but slack key is something I've not looked into.
I have a flat-top National guitar, which I thought might be OK ? It's a model 1156, that I bought in 1950.

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  06:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best guitar for slack key is the one your ears and fingers like the best. And one might consult one's audience, should there be one available.

I'm guessing your National is a flat-top, probably a dread or jumbo, but whatever it is, if it sounds good to you and plays OK and retunes without problems, then there's no reason not to play slack key on it.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  10:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once commented that the base response was the most important thing to look for in a slack key guitar (for me anyway and still feel that way) but in the same thread another person said no, it was the treble response that was most important.
Afer considering that difference in opinion, I realized there is no way to tell someone for sure what makes a good guitar for slack key.

Maybe you could pick a recorded performer you like and listen to the guitar very closely--listen to the resonance, sustain and tone-- then look for a guitar that sounds like what you hear.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  2:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming your guitar's in good shape and you've enjoyed playing it since 1950, it should be just fine for slack key. Enjoy and make some music!
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2012 :  6:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guitar is in good shape. It's kind of an odd-ball as guitars go. The body is by Gibson, and the neck is a National item, made of magnesium and covered with mahogany veneer.
I believe it would be called a dreadnaught, as regards the size & shape of the body.

Didn't know how to rotate the pic

Edited by - justplainbill on 11/02/2012 6:34:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  05:10:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the body is by Gibson, then it's a "J" model.
BTW, any guitar can be played. It's the player more than the instrument.
Go to Top of Page

cyril
Lokahi

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2012 :  09:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit cyril's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me it is the man behind the guitar that really counts.

And my favorite guitar is my Koa Tacoma. It has an amazing sound. also slack key is especially great sounding on a Martin guitar. My dad used Martin very often. Our 12 Strings are all Martin guitars.

Cyril Pahinui
cyril.cyrilpahinui.com
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2012 :  5:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's time to find a good instruction book....
And I agree about the person behind the guitar Same goes for most any instrument it seems.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2012 :  04:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the best ways to learn is jamming. In an informal setting, you'll take chances and stretch. Books are fine, but what if the lights go out? YouTube is valuable as are recordings. Find some folks to jam with.
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2012 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...no matter what you finally decide on...probably any decent electric-acoustic model will do for starters...don't fall into the high end guitar brands too much. A good all-around starter, like most posts suggest, is whatever sounds/feels good to you and your style. If you actually want a suggestion I always recommend Takamene as a good starter. As you develop & grow, (and hear) other guitars & styles...you'll eventually find the one that fits you. Good luck!
~slkho
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  3:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking today of a new guitar. I have only been playing slack key for 3 years. I have been using a Martin sustainable wood model. One of the things that bothers me is the high pitched treble strings which bother me when I practise. I would like a guitar that has a more deeper base sound to it. The action on it is not a nice as my Baby Taylor .
It is hard for me to practise on the Martin due to the high pitched treble sound. I have had it looked at and adjusted but it did not make any difference. Perhaps I may try a different set of strings. I use elixir. Of course , it is the person behind the guitar but if it bothers me to practise hard to get more betta!

Judy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  4:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bijou

I was just thinking today of a new guitar. I have only been playing slack key for 3 years. I have been using a Martin sustainable wood model. One of the things that bothers me is the high pitched treble strings which bother me when I practise. I would like a guitar that has a more deeper base sound to it. The action on it is not a nice as my Baby Taylor .
It is hard for me to practise on the Martin due to the high pitched treble sound. I have had it looked at and adjusted but it did not make any difference. Perhaps I may try a different set of strings. I use elixir. Of course , it is the person behind the guitar but if it bothers me to practise hard to get more betta!

Different strings might work. Heavier gauge strings maybe?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  9:19:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I totally agree with Andy. Different strings might do the trick for you. What type of Elixirs are you using? The 80/20's or the Phosphur Bronze Nanowebs are pretty bright If you like the feeling of the coated strings of Elixirs try the "Polywebs" instead. They lose the brightness a lot of people cringe at in a day or 2. Me personally, I like the ring of a new set of strings but to each his own.

What seems strange to me is that Martins by & large are normally pretty warm sounding guitars whereas Taylors are normally brighter. Yet your guitars have opposite characteristics..........Also, why not take your Martin in for a professional set up? I guitar with a lower action & better playability gets played more hence more rapid advancement....Good luck.

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  08:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re Martin guitars, setups and sound, I have a lot of experience with them from my time working at McCabe's in Santa Monic, CA and playing them. If you buy a Martin straight from the factory, it has not been set up. The action is always high (it's impossible to raise the action if it is too low) and uneven. A reputable dealer (or repair person) will set the action for you, but it'll cost you some $$, unless the dealer includes setup in the cost. I believe that this is true for other makers of first line guitars, although some will set the action even, but somewhat high. I've had a lot of Martin owners who complained about the action without ever having them set up.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2012 :  11:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased my Martin from a reputable music store. They are really good people and they have looked at the guitar and it was adjusted but to me it did not make any difference.
I am using 80/20's nanowebs and they are pretty bright. It did take me awhile to get use the feeling of the coated strings but it is nice not to have to change strings so often.
I have used medium strings on the treble but medium strings are very hard on my hands . I am not as young as I use to be!
I think I will look around for different strings. I think I am just very sensitive to high pitched noise. I have a Seagull and it is a less expensive model than the Martin and I like the action and the sound but the body is too large for me and gives me shoulder problems. I was able to play a 30 year old Martin that is owned by a family member and the tone and action on that guitar was excellent. I wanted to run away with it. Mahalo for all the suggestions. I knew I would get help in the patch.

Judy
Go to Top of Page

justplainbill
Akahai

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  7:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't a clue yet, where to get started ! Most folks around here (Michigan) have never heard of slack key guitar. I'm a steel player, and jumping into something new isn't easy at my age!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000