Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Moses Kahumoku on big island...video posted!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2012 :  7:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Staying near Capt. Cook... But heard Moses was playing at arts thing at Sheraton...
Had a seat that would be equivalent to PBS $10,000 level--watching his amazing right hand from 2 ft. Away! But still totally mystified, and enchanted. Thanks Moses for the magic, and hanging with Karen and myself. If we connect with Kona Bob maybe figure out how to post a precious video that hopefully is safe in my phone...but may have to wait till back in Kona next week. Mele Kalikimaka all.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/15/2013 2:41:00 PM

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be really nice if you could post a video of Moses since there is so little video footage of him out there. He's one of my favorite guitarists, I especially like the flamenco influence in his songs. Good luck and Mele Kalikimaka!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Watkins
Aloha

37 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  5:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha
If Moses is still playing, I'm coming back to Captain Cook to see him. More info, please!
Mahalo nui loa.
Jeff
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2012 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Had a seat that would be equivalent to PBS $10,000 level"

Ah, yes, that is one of the wonderful things about living on a small island (population-wise, that is!)It is astounding the number of top-flight, world class, and world famous artists I have seen from a few feet away. (My skill at worming my way to the front admittedly did play a role!) And not, by any means, only Hawaiian artists. Sure, some may have been a "few" years past their peak of stardom, but not all - and it seems they usually get better with age, anyway...
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  07:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The song I captured is,
"Pau'ahi O Kalani".
A slower tempo, than Dancing Cat version, and vocally--and while not as youthful in voice, or polished as that version, to my wife and I, it was stunningly beautiful, soulful, and absolute magic...
I DO want to share, so Lawrence, or anyone--HELP!

I have found the video miraculously saved in my Android 3 G "smartphone". BUT am such a rank beginner with the phone and transferring anything, that haven't gotten it off the phone.
Plugged into Mini-Mac, no luck, and same at a neighbors house, who's better than myself, and has better computer, but wouldn't let us transfer.
my computer is about 7 year old Mini Mac, and file is too large to send from my email, as is...
so looking for help, and first help hasn't done the trick.

Being my first camera video, and figuring it out under some pressure, someone had to show me how to activate the video! Moses graciously played it a second time when I had not recorded the first time, and had no time for focus, adjust or use other features that might have helped the quality...

what I have is a 2-3 minute version of "Pau'ahi O Kalani". and it is very soulful.
Of course, not fancy or perfect (camera man/producer should be fired!)--a water cooler behind him, quite a bit of room noise in Sheraton Keauhou convention center (Hawaiian arts fair--which I saw NONE of, since after we walked in side door by accident, saw Moses about 10 feet away...and never even saw anything else in room--just hung out with him for 2 hours--so I saw what was most important, and the reason we left our beautiful cottage with the million dollar view in Capt. Cook, only because we'd heard Moses was playing.

Moses says he sometimes hangs out playing under a tree in front of ONE of the ABC stores in Kona...but there's several! So maybe Kona Bob knows which one???
If we hadn't been flying back to land of COLD and snow, I'd have done more detective work.

IF we find out, don't wait--time shared with our slack key friends is precious these days.
If anyone wants to call me on this or other stuff, send me a message and I'll give my cell phone number.
He spent some time trying to clarify some right hand flourishes...but need a closeup, and underneath the right hand shot to see some of his eloquent right hand technique!

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/01/2013 08:20:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  09:01:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry Gordon,

My video device is a Panasonic Lumix camera. It records onto SDHC cards which I transfer to the computer with a card reader. Very different than your situation.

You should look in your Android manual (what a concept!) or find an Android user group online and you should quickly be able to determine how to download. I don't do much with Macs either so you need to find yourself a Mini-Mac Mini-User group who can give you some mini-help.

But be real careful with the smartphone so that you do not record over this material you want to keep!

Good Luck...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2013 :  7:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the honor of taking a one-on-one with Moku in Pahala in November. He kicked my ass. He's a frickin' genius. Learn your pentatonic scales in taropatch.

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  12:47:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would love to watch. Can you port to YouTube? Maybe Duke can give you a hand.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  12:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have borrowed a Micro SD adaptor that will allow me to take phone (micro) SD over to Mini Mac...
but will wait till tonight, after workout, and maybe find an "air traffic controller", talking me through landing (transfer), to be safe.

There is "Unmount SD Card for safe removal" under Phone storage...
but after I go there, may I assume that I turn off phone first before removing card and then placing in adaptor?!
It will then plug into adaptor, and adaptor has standard USB plug....

But don't want any snafu's that might damage or lose the video...as Lawrence has mentioned...better to wait and have help!

Several people in patch, which has many tech people in our midst, (and probably kids in my 5th grade classes!) could do this in their sleep!

***Also, for those who get chances to see Keoki and take classes, he has talked of how Moses was a major mentor.
AND
When I mentioned that to Moses, he said he'd made a video for Keoki--way back I'm sure--of things to practice!
Sure it would have been on tape, probably VCR, and now ancient or gone.
... so while access to that is unlikely...
KEOKI IS, and is one of our best teachers, and betcha he would break things down for those of us who would buy any tricks to add to our volumes of "Slack Key guitar for Dummies"

Maybe we need to ask him to to present some of those drills Moses had him learn...right hand especially.

Keoki's talked a little about them at camp classes...
but not slow enough or at length, at least for my slack key hunger games.

So would be interesting knowledge to find...
Unfortunately, next trip to Big Island is a ways off...

But if Keoki gets back to West Coast this year, might have to find a ticket.

if any tech person has some patience, and send a email through here if you might be help as an Slack Air traffic controller on the hopeful transfer of video.
Again, it's not fancy...
just precious.
I would then need to be coached also on a way to share this with a link, or make file to share...with taropatchers that are interested.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
finally figured all these contraptions out...I think.
sorry it took so long. Need to move to California, where all my Techie, Trekkie, Slack Key friends abide! Had reservations about posting a you tube, which I've never done. And cell phone video first...

Sat. Dec. 22, 2012 video...a first attempt from my "smartphone"...
while amateurish, just had to capture some of the magic of the afternoon.

Once I'd entered the room, from the side door at the Sheraton...well I never saw ANYTHING but Moses. If anyone has better footage, please share...
Moses spent around 3 hours with us, like a free guitar lesson, and sat in the chair to his right except in the video! Of course, I still can't see his faster right hand stuff, without slow motion! And a highlight, he took his break with us...best memory of the trip!

Mahalo Nui Moses.
Hope this works!
http://youtu.be/CiB9P-NwYOA

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/15/2013 2:51:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitar yogi
Akahai

Kiribati
67 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2013 :  6:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It worked! Real nice guitar by Moses. Mahalo!
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2013 :  05:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Gordon. I love Uncle Moke

Wag More. Bark Less
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly