Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Joe Walsh on the subject of playing live
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  05:34:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
To me, part of perpetuating slack key guitar is to play it in front of people. On "Live From Daryl's House", I love Joe Walsh's comments about playing out.
quote:
"You got to play live in front of people and at first you're awful and you stink... You don't really get better. You just bring awful up so you're not THAT awful."

Dinner Part 1 (If you're short on time, skip to about half way through.)

Or watch the whole show. Joe can still rock out!

Andy

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing that helps is to play for the uninitated. They think it's really pretty and don't know enough to hear the mistakes!
Allen
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  11:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well....I've never played "kihoalu" live in front of a live-crowd, except with Admin, and the rest of you at "The Blue Marlin Restaurant" in Maalaea during their "open-mic night". In the beginning of my performance, I remember it being rather nerve-wrecking...lol. But once I got comfortable, began playing, sang "Puamana" and all of you cheered me-on, sang-along...It's a moment in time I will never forget...Love and miss jamming with all of you! Much Love and Aloha from Me to YOU....

Bill
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  03:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is definitely a risk/reward thing going on when performing solo in front of an audience.
When I play well, I feel that I do a good job but recently I panicked in the middle of a tune, went blank, then had to excuse myself from the stage. Tough time indeed. So, I backed off a my regular charity gig and took time off to read about performance anxiety.

For those that struggle with nerves and anxiety like I do, it may be helpful to know that this could be a fight or flight response to an irrational feeling of danger. Put this in your head next time...performing is not dangerous.

With this on my mind I did an open mic out of town and totally let go and kicked ass for the first time. I played three Ozzie K. arrangements. I am going to do another one this weekend in front of an old band mate and I expect to kick ass again.

Stay thirsty my friends!

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 01/24/2013 04:57:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  07:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This topic reminds me of the very first time that I played in public, many years ago. It was an open mic at a local club with a decent crowd of about 80. Many there was signed up to play. I had in mind a couple of country blues / ragtime tunes for my set. Both of the selected tunes started out with a walking bass run from G up to C, but were quite different after the intro. My brain had one tune in mind, but my fingers launched into the other peice. It pretty quickly turned into a train wreck by the second measure.

I stopped in horror and embarrasment. Taking a deep breath and leaning into the mic I said, "Now that the worst possible thing that COULD happen HAS happened, I'm just going to relax and play for you". I still have no idea where the thought came from, but the rest of the set went just fine, and ended with a nice round of applause.

I have gone on to perform for crowds ranging from five people to more than 950.

These days when reparing for a peformance, I often roll tape during the rehearsals. The extra stress of knowing that there is a recording being made simulates the stress of being in front of a crowd. But I NEVER listen to the tapes before playing, because then I would fixate only on the minor flaws. No point in focusing on four seconds of problem area out of a four minute long piece that is otherwise nearly perfect.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  09:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have posted this before, but I like this quote too.
quote:
"To stand up on a stage alone with an acoustic guitar requires bravery bordering on heroism. Bordering on insanity." -Richard Thomson
Playing in front of people can be horrifying, yet fun. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I, too, had trouble playing in front of people until I realized that music is subjective: you know what you want to play, but the audience does not. They only respond to what they hear, and judge you on that. Even if you don't achieve what you want, what comes out is usually pleasing to their ears, even though you are disappointed in what you have played. As St. Ledward says, jus press!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2013 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Please serve me up another piece of that "Death By Chocolate" dessert, wouldya?

An odd area of training that has helped me greatly on-stage (as well as on the radio) is improvisational theater (which I have also taught). It can help you open up the connections to your brain as well as silence many of those judgmental voices in your head that tell you "you aren't good enough to do this," "that's a terrible idea," "people will judge you and hate you if you try that."

It also helps that I have a big ego and no sense of shame. I understand completely how most people suffer from varying degrees of stage-fright, though I feel fortunate that it's never been a debilitating issue for me - I am addicted to the applause and praise and crave it (perhaps to an unhealthy degree?)

The only solution I've ever found that helps diminish the effects of stage-fright (not just temporarily but over time) is to face it head on and be in front of crowds, exposing yourself, as it were. I greatly admire each of you who does public performance while shaking in your shoes.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2013 :  1:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Retro. It really helps, that at heart, I'm a hambone, as you well know.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000