Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A little iphone video
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  2:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're a fan of acoustic roots music you might have heard of The Waybacks, a hot rod eclectic acoustic band. For a long time their lead guitarist was Stevie Coyle, and he's a phenomenal picker indeed.

Well it seems Stevie grew tired of the road and opened a rather interesting guitar store, one that specializes in consignment sales of handmade, vintage, and rare guitars. If you're familiar with the handmade guitar scene you might recognize many of the names on his inventory list: http://steviecoyle.com/

Conveniently, this new shop is just over the hill from our house, so after a nice island style lunch at Kilohana Grill we stopped by Mighty Fine Guitars for a little sampling session. We wound up enjoying a bit of the rare sunshine, with Ledward driving a Kathy Wingert cutaway while I chose an Alan Perlman 12 fretter. Stevie came along at just the right moment and caught a bit of the action on his iphone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rngD8EERGls

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  09:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome! Thank you for posting that!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2013 :  11:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Fun!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  1:04:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said Fran, you are living a dream.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

bsheephead
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2013 :  5:43:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran,

Thanks for the video, for letting me know about Stevie's store (I love his guitar playing, too), and for the great show last Friday!

Bill Shepard
Berkeley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000