Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Slack Key Instructor(s) on Oahu ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  01:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everyone!

I'm a relatively new member of the forum currently living in Phoenix, but I've lived in Hawaii off-and-on for many years, and I crave all things "slack'. Fortunately, I'm returning to Oahu permanently in late September and I'd really like to secure a quality instructor (or two) of slack key technique(s) there in Hawaii. Can anyone be of any help?

For example, I'm quite familiar with Keola's periodic Aloha Camp on Maui and other "off-island" venues (e.g., George Kahumoku's, etc.), and I'm sure those sessions are all exceptionally good, but they're not repetitive, long-term platforms for extended study. Similarly, I know that many of the all-time greats of slack key reside right there on Oahu (too many to mention), but I'm not sure whether any of them offer public/private instruction? I've heard of folks here on the mainland for example who have studied under Ray Kane, and so on.

Anyway, I've been playing conventional (i.e., standard E tuning) guitar now myself for nearly 30-years, but I'm essentially a beginner when it comes to picking styles, scales, and particularly chord patterns as they apply to specific slack key tunings.

Ideally, I'd like to pursue regular (once or twice per week) lessons with a veteran player/instructor anywhere on Oahu. Any references? There's a pound of poke in it (tako or Ahi, your choice) for anyone that responds!

Malama pono and a warm mahalo to all!
Joe Stewart

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  01:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I'm not mistaken,
Ozzie Kotani, Peter Medeiros, Ron Loo - all teach in Honolulu area.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  1:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Joe,

Ozzie told us that he is only taking a very few special students these days - like Danny. Peter and Ron are your best bets.

I am not sure what Peter's arrangements are, apart from teaching at UH (is he still posting here?) but Ron gives private lessons both in Honolulu and in Kaneohe and group lessons at Windward CC. Sarah took 3 private lessons from Ron once when we were in Honolulu for a conference I was forced to attend (she got to have *all* the fun, while I was stuck with a few thousand boring technoids :-( She found Ron to be just the kind of kumu she needed at the time. And Denise even picked her up at the hotel to bring her to the lessons. Talk about service!

I would contact both Peter and Ron and see who suits you best. Maybe both.

Also, get Keoki Kahumoku's DVD. You will get some technique headstart out of it no matter what your level of playing.

Keep on slacking...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  2:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Raymond! Mahalo Reid!

That's awesome! Precisely the kind of information I'm looking for. I've got Keoki's DVD en-route and I'll begin working on it post-haste, but clearly, there's nothing quite like a discerning critic (i.e., a good instructor) to shape one's progress over time. And that's what I need most.

Although I don't know these three artists personally (i.e., Ozzie, Peter or Ron), I am certainly familiar with their respective skills and works, and I will attempt to contact them at the first opportunity once my relocation to Hawaii is complete. I'll be returning to Kailua, so Windward CC and Kaneohe will work most excellently.

However, I'm not sure how best to personally reach any of these fellows? Can either of you direct me to specific contact information for them (i.e., their e-mail addresses, business phones, business addresses, anything?) without violating any agreements or offending anyone?
That'd be great! Alternatively, if one of you knows them, perhaps you could share my dircet contact information with them (until 09/20/03, I can be reached at jstewart @ cableaz.com).

Thanks again to both of you for your assistance, and continue enjoying "All Things Slack".

Joe
Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe, where are you going with that guitar in your hand? Aloha, Joe, with all my respect to every Slack-Key guitar instructor in the world, I'd like to invite you and anyone else to my beginning Slack-Key classes at the Hemenway Leisure Center located on the beautiful campus of the Univerity of Hawaii. Depending on the enrollment, I'm offering evening classes everyday and Saturday afternoon. Come in and sit in a class for free and see if it fits your needs. If not we can always "Kanikapila" afterwards. Call the University of Hawaii Leisure Center at 956-6469. Alohas,
Go to Top of Page

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  8:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric! Mahalo for your response brah! I'm grateful.

Where am I goin? Haaaah! It's automatic! "I'm goin' down to shoot my 'ol lady; you know I caught her messin' round with another man - and that ain't too cool." Yup, been missin' Jimmy for tirty years now brah! Sounds like you miss him too, eh?

Anywho . . . tanks for the invite to your class(es) brah! Dees buggah sounds plenty ono! Come September, I come and check 'em out FOR REAL, if I not locked-up in O-triple-C lie-dat, Haaaaaa! When da buggah start brah, September? Trust me, it'll suit my needs just fine - I learn from anyone and everyone, always. And some casual "kanikapila" afterwards would be good-fun too bruddah. Best of luck with your UH classes and I'll look forward to meeting you soon.

Enjoyin' "All Things Slack"

Joe Stewart
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Joe, you can reach Ron Loo at (808) 239-4281. You might also want to check out Yameen Fong (in Honolulu) at fongsmusic @ homestead.com (sorry, no number). Also, don't rule out Ray Kane...he's still giving private lessons and quite frankly it's worth paying him for his time even if you just listen to him talk for an hour. You can reach him at (808) 668-8682.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/11/2003 02:56:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  02:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric, congradulations on your class.
It's about time someone is using your slack key
talents.

Right on Eric! good luck... Aloha, Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  03:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello bones, sorry about the number, I think the fax machine kicks in when
the leisure center is closed. The university just installed it. Anyway,
my classes start in Sept. I have offered them everynight from 6:30 pm to
8:30 pm and on Saturdays from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm but it depends on the
enrollment. The University requires at least 3 students per class because I
reserve a conference room. Hope to see you there. alohas!
PS: I'm also experiencing problems with my email. I can receive but I can't send. "Curse you verizon"!
and one BIG mahalo to "Kumu" Kevin K. Brown for the congrats, friendship and the secret ending to "Kauai Beauty". Hehehhehe...
Go to Top of Page

Hwn Boy
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  7:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hwn Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Joe,

Feel free to call me when you arrive in Honolulu. I'm going to take on a few students who would like to learn from me.

Aloha,
Mike Kaawa
487-1216

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  7:05:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Mike and welcome to TaroPatch.net! I just bought your Hwn Boy CD a few days ago...great stuff! Too bad I'm not on Oahu.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  08:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Mike!

E komo mai i ka Lo'i Kalo! Was so nice to meet you the week of the Festival on Maui. Mahalo for the beautiful music on the 'Aha Punana Leo videotapes.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Hwn Boy
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  3:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hwn Boy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha all!

Mahalo for the warm welcome and kind words. I plan on being in San Diego next March 2004. Maybe I'll see you then.

Hwn Boy
Mike Kaawa

Go to Top of Page

kakahama
Aloha

4 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  02:50:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a lesson tomorrow with ozzie. i can ask him if he knows anyone... i think he has no room for any more students...but can ask for referrals.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everyone!

To paraphrase the late-great "IZ", a big "Whoooop" and warm cyber-mahalo to my TaroPatch ohana and to all who responded to this particular TaroPatch post. I am both awed and grateful.

In my view, there can be no 'better' application of an on-line forum than the open, gracious sharing of mele (i.e., the true essence of 'Aloha').

Mahalo nui loa to Raymond, Reid, Eric, Craig, Kevin, Kakahama, and Mike Kaawa; thanks to your respective references, I can now pursue some formal instruction in Hono. I thank you all and I'll look forward to the prospect of crossing paths with all of you oneday.

In the meantime, thanks to 'all' TaroPatch contributors for a great on-line resource, and my best to everyone in your future personal and professional endeavors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000