Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  04:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, everybody! I want to hear about Aloha Camp, so I can pine away wishing I went

Me ke aloha,
Maulena

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  4:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy, you'd think nobody had a good time... sheesh.

Tell ya what, Maureen, go to the camp website and look at all the happy, smiling people in the pictures from this year's camp.

http://www.alohamusiccamp.com

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 09/01/2003 4:52:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  6:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Maureen and Hi to Mark, too,
Really, we all had a great time....maybe it was the shock of trying to adjust back to real life that has us all speechless But now that things have calmed down I am savoring the great memories we made. I loved the addition of the nose flute and chanting classes. All of the instructors were wonderful and so open to sharing their knowledge and talent. The mix of people from all over the world made it more special. And to have the honor of helping Auntie Nona celebrate her 80th birthday was the best. The evening concerts were a treat...especially to see the Hoe family perform with the Beamers. All in all, a great time was had by all. Can't wait for next year.
Aloha, >^..^<

Edited by - Popoki on 09/01/2003 6:47:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  03:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Maureen, maybe it's just difficult to put into words what we carried home in our hearts and minds...

Hightlights for me:

Rooming next to John and Hope Keawe, awakening to sweet slack key guitar music and going to sleep with it, being called "AUNTIE!!!" by John's granddaughter.

Pat Cockett and his nice and easy way of instruction. And patience.

Cidy Combs and Leilehua Yuen livening up the last evening's kanikapila with their many talents. We were forced to drink up all the beer and wine and eat up all the snacks that were left over from the week!

Auntie Nona's very special way of saying something positive to as many people as possible. It was an honor to celebrate her 80th birthday with her.

Reconnecting with friends from previous camps. We've become a great big ohana since then. Many of us keep in touch and visit via email and in person.

Keola and Moana, two extraordinary people with talent AND heart. They were so much fun to be around. Although Moana can be tough on hula dancers who think they've got the moves down. I think I lost 5 pounds just in one day with the undending practice for the student talent show! Had to submerse in the pool for a full half hour to cool down.

Liko Puha teaching the oli (chant) class. What a phenomenal voice and presence. And funny!

Leilehua Yuen teaching lauhala weaving and leimaking. Although I started a lauhala project, I had to run to ukulele class, and so I now have an unfinished fan, but that's the norm for me. (Unfinished projects, that is.)What to do next to this fan is a mystery to me!

Mark and Annie making the whole experience appear seamlessly easy and fun. I know that behind the scenes they did a lot of juggling and maneuvering. Thanks, you two!

The talent show on the last night when lots of folks got up in spite of the major butterflies in the tummies. Who wouldn't shiver with fright when trying to perform in front of the Beamers... Hah! I got past that one OK. I think.

Calvin Hoe and his family. They brought nose flutes for us to finish and call our own. Their addition to the Beamer family concert was extra special. Now I know what an 'oi'oi is. (spelling?) My nose flute was put to double duty after my friend and ukulele teacher Michell Kiba cut notches in it and I was able to use it for latin percussion in her talent show performance.

Let's see, how many more pages do I get here? We should probably all put down our favorite memories and make it into a book. Funny stories, tearjerkers, great conquests of the musical kind, you know...

Allright, it's after midnight here. Time to fold up the tent. Aloha, Julie

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  04:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
julie hit so many points... some more are

- hearing lyn belt out incredible tinpan alley tunes on her resonator uke at 2 in the morning

- working out a duet with mike for slacked guitar and tin whistle

- all the great music at the student performance, whose climax was arguably when angela and verena did their own composition, "hamburg by the sea"

- keola showing me in 30 seconds what i was doing wrong with my vibrato

- learning more about how to amp up my uke from dennis and steve over breakfast than i could ever hope to retain.

- not sleeping.

what an experience!

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Popoki
Akahai

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great article in yesterdays Honolulu Advertiser....
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Sep/01/ln/ln25a.html
Aloha >^..^<
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi kitty!!

oh! i'm pretty sure that the author of that article was my next door neighbor. he was fun for talking story...

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  4:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link and for sharing your experiences. It stinks to have missed it but nice to at least read your highlights.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  5:53:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey campers,

rabb at IRH (http://hotspotshawaii.com/irhpages/irhlive.html) asked me about photos of camp. has anyone posted any somewhere? i was too busy trying to keep up with the lessons and was running into too many boulders to remember to take any photos :-(

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  7:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Although not full sized, here's a great place to start: http://www.alohamusiccamp.com/03pics.html

If anyone is kind enough to share their photos, please post a link here!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  12:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Keith, I have so many photos that I'm trying to put the best into one folder which I will burn into a CD, and make available if anyone is interested. But I don't know how to post them, yet. I don't have a site, and my hubby just installed a CD burner and the learning curve is great here! But I am enjoying looking at all those memories. Julie
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, the wonderful thing about Aloha Music Camp is that it is like stepping through a doorway into an alternate reality where the world is the way it should be, rather than the way it is. The people are all kind, generous and supportive. I do not sing well. Normally, I will either mouth the words or sing in the faintest whisper. At AMC, I sing. Loud.

I am a skywatcher and something of a naturalist. One of the things I have always wanted to see, but never had, is the Hawaiian hawk, the `io. On Monday night at Camp, the night of the full moon, Julie and I heard a bird calling out. Someone suggested that it might be an `io, and we went over to investigate, she with her flashlight and me with my binoculars. Much to my disappointment, it turned out just to be a night heron. On the last day of Camp, after closing ceremonies, after I had said all of my goodbyes and was walking back to my empty hale to retrieve my hat and purse and drive away, I crossed the road just mauka of the office and stopped between the plumeria trees. There in front of me, floating across the field from left to right, was an `io. I watched for a moment, and then it flew over the trees and out of sight. Technically, it could have been a coincidence, a quirk of luck and timing. But for me, to see one of my heart's desires in the last moments of camp was truly a gift, a going-away present, a bit of magic to keep in my heart until I step through the doorway again to the magic of Aloha Music Camp.

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  4:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo nui loa to all of you for sharing your wonderful stories from the AMC!
Wow!!! Mahalo Mahalo Mahalo!!! I hope to attend some year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000