Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Manuela Boy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2013 :  8:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think of my life as having two major parts - before Ozzie and after Ozzie. I heard Keola Beamer play slack key, I bought his CDs and instructional video, but I just could not make my fingers do the required dance.

And the Ozzie book, widely recommended and praised all around, was out of print and unavailable from retail sources. This was before Amazon became an outlet for OOP material, I was just out of luck. Until we wandered into the old Tropical Disc in Kihei to see some Rainsong guitars they were advertising. The real treasure that day was one last copy of Ozzie Kotani's "Guitar Playing Hawaiian Style" http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14 Finding that book was the key that unlocked the door for me.

And talk about fun, every page brought new exercises, new sounds, new concepts. And new songs, "Kani Ki Ho`alu" made my wife cry the first time she heard me play it, and then "Manuela Boy" - a rascally song that even a new fan of Hawaiian music like me had heard. Ozzie's arrangement is just classic, expressing the heart of the song and providing a framework for hours of jamming.

All this long windedness leads up to a video I shot at a new local guitar store. I tried a couple of tunes but the one that made me smile was "Manuela Boy," not the original I learned from Ozzie but certainly inspired in every note by what he taught.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XJDXFaP908

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  12:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I think of my life as having two major parts - before Ozzie and after Ozzie

Fran, - about when was this?
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  03:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  06:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your playing sounds too fun to be legal.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  07:27:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ambrosius

quote:
I think of my life as having two major parts - before Ozzie and after Ozzie

Fran, - about when was this?

I accompanied Lynn to Hawai`i for the first time in 1999 and one of Keola's videos was playing when we turned on the TV in the hotel room. I found the Ozzie book a little over a year later, spring of 2001.

I've played slack key nearly every day since then.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2013 :  04:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fran:

Great playing (as always!) and a lovely guitar. Ozzie has truly given us all so much by his documenting and teaching. We owe him a lot for his efforts.

Terry

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

Ambrosius
Lokahi

132 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  02:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I've played slack key nearly every day since then.

Fran, I can't say how much I enjoy your playing, as well as that you are willing to share. Such a small thing as always writing up the tuning in your videos, has been very helpful for me.

Hmm ... a 12 - 14 years then. Well, there might be hope for 'me wannabee' as well.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  10:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of us hope the Beamer ohana will bring Ozzie back to Aloha Music Camp. It was such a treat to learn from this great guy in person.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  03:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ozzie taught at a recent Aloha Music Camp, Larry. In fact if I'm not mistaken he wrote & taught 3 original pieces for that camp. "Ehu Trot" for his longtime dachschund companion & pet Ehu that passed last year. "AMC Slack Key" or "Aloha Music Camp Slack Key" written especially for the obvious. It's in a very cool tuning Oz calls "Kona Hema Tuning" that produces a really old style feel. Oz is going to record it on his upcoming CD with 3 additional verses. You should inquire with Kona Bob if they plan on inviting "The Wizard Oz" back to AMC.

Edited by - sirduke58 on 04/11/2013 12:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  05:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i] "AMC Slack Key" or "Aloha Music Camp Slack Key" written especially for the obvious. It's in a very cool tuning Oz calls "Kona Hema Tuning" that produces a really old style feel.

I loved that one...but have been 'slack' about keeping it going since then.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Ozzie
Aloha

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  06:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fran, Thank you so much for your kind words and it was great to watch you play Manuela Boy, a song my father used to sing - in fact the ONLY song I remember my father singing. You make it your own and that's exactly what I hope all my students do - that's why it's good to learn a lot of songs - your library of phrases, vamps, chords, passing chords, all grow as you open repertoire - and you need that to start improvising and changing arrangements. Your love of playing is obvious and that's the most important thing - to enjoy the activity, to find joy in creating music. To touch people in ways words cannot at times. Hey, we have something in common Fran - we've both opened for Led - who epitomizes joy and having fun while playing - a true giant and someone who has taken care of me on stage and I'm eternally grateful for that. Thank you all for the encouragement over the years to continue to share as long as my fingers work. By the way, it's never too late to start playing slack key - I really got started after graduating from High School. Tom Kaulukukui Jr. who plays two songs on Ho`ihi reflect that - he has grown into a remarkable player and started quite late with me. See us on the back cover with our old guitars! It was an honor to share at any camp I've been invited to - it was a way to help keep the tradition alive and to meet and hear some great talent amongst the students and to meet other cultural resources.

Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  07:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie

By the way, it's never too late to start playing slack key - I really got started after graduating from High School.
This applies to music (or any artistic endeavor) in general. I've worked for decades on "the other side" of music - as an engineer, producer, manager, promoter, consultant, etc. I didn't start playing music until I was in my 40s, and now it's a great source of enjoyment for me (and I hope for others with whom I play and who listen to me).
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  11:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzie

By the way, it's never too late to start playing slack key - I really got started after graduating from High School.
This applies to music (or any artistic endeavor) in general. I've worked for decades on "the other side" of music - as an engineer, producer, manager, promoter, consultant, etc. I didn't start playing music until I was in my 40s, and now it's a great source of enjoyment for me (and I hope for others with whom I play and who listen to me).

I've just started with slack key, and you know how old I am. Always a pleasure to play music with you, Retro.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  2:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great playing, Fran. Very nice! And a big mahalo to Ozzie for being the generous gentleman that he is. Thanks to both of you.
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  02:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank Ozzie every single day, when I pick up my guitar and play the songs he has so patiently taught me. Every. Single. Day.

The songs he taught us at Aloha Music Camp last year were terrific - one of them (Nā Kīkā ʻElua) got an outing just last night when I played with Terre Roche at her Big Birthday Concert at The Slipper Room in New York City. So if your ears were burning last night, Ozzie, its because we mentioned you onstage!

Great job on the video, Fran! I too, was inspired to take up slack key after hearing Keola and Ozzie and like you, have played slack key every day since then.
Go to Top of Page

garson
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2013 :  08:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit garson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also have a giant debt to Ozzie, who welcomed me as a very shy novice at George's camp, and provided inspiration that has kept me going ever since. And Fran, I don't know whether you know about all your silent listeners. There is at least one person (me) out there who loves your You tube efforts. I play Manuela boy, but now lemme see what I can do to make it mine.

Jim Garson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000